1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Henry Elwell Dbl BBL Shotgun Value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Larry Ash, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Larry, except for those by a few renowned makers, there's little collector interest in percussion shotguns in USA, and value would be as a nice decorator's wall hanger, or possibly to a black powder shooter who wanted to fix it up.

It has a few issues, eg. mismatched hammers and the repair to stock you mentioned, and looks like left nipple probably missing or broken off as hammer is too far forward. My WAG of value it would bring at an auction would be $200 plus or minus.
  2. Larry Ash

Larry Ash New Member

Thank you to all who took their time to help me with the identification and value of this old shotgun. It helped my knowledge of the gun and its maker.
    Larry
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, RJay,

I may be wrong, but I think the American Elwell was a lockmaker and never made complete rifles, so he might not be listed in a book of gun makers. On the other hand, I have not seen locks that appeared to be of the quality seen in the English Elwell's guns. In other words, I have no doubt they were different people, in different countries.

Jim