Henry Frontier versus Henry Golden Boy

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ca2tx2tn, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ca2tx2tn

ca2tx2tn New Member

Okay, I know there are folks out there who can help me decide whether to buy the Henry .22LR Frontier or the Henry .22LR Golden Boy.

Besides the cost, why is the Golden Boy a better rifle for plinking and varmint chasing? I'm looking for a fun rifle to pop off around the farm.

What should I do?
  2. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I'd rather have a traditional blued rifle than a shiny gold one.

Just my personal opinion.
  3. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 Member

Last year I won a Golden Boy at a Friends of the NRA banquet and thought I had hit the jackpot. Two days later when I went to the gun dealer-FFL to claim my prize, reality set in: the receiver is neither grooved nor tapped. I'm now in my mid-60s, shoot only at range targets and want (okay, need) optics to properly see the target. So, what's a guy to do? I've put that one in the safe to turn over to my son when he's ready to get serious about shooting. Then I bought a Target model, put a scope on it and happily terrorize targets at the range every chance I get. The Henrys are just flat fun to shoot. If optics (read, scope) are something you need or want, stick with the blued line...and get one.
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a Golden Boy and I love it. Smooth as silk and a real tack driver. However as pointed out by previous poster it is not optic ready. I think that Henry has a mount for it but drilling is involved. So if you want to put a scope on the rifle I would opt for the Frontier.

Whatever you do get what is going to make you the happiest and there will be no regret.
  5. ca2tx2tn

ca2tx2tn New Member

I'd hoped (yeah, I'm 50) to not need a scope. Especially on a gun like this. Based on what you said, the scope doesn't get in the way?:confused: Regarding my earlier question, I wonder if there is anything different in the action between the two models? Still sounds like I won't go wrong with either gun.
  6. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 Member

For me, the scope does not get in the way at all. To the best of my knowledge, the working parts of both rifle styles are identical. Whichever direction you go, you'll have great fun with it.
  7. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Standard rail type .22 rimfire scope mount RE: no drilling or tapping required.

Mine is smooth as a hot knife going in butter, side eject. Basically, it's a Browning copy.
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I have the Henry H001 basic little ol' lever gun, AND I LOVE IT!! It is more fun. The GB is pretty and at one time I groused about getting that one. But it is a little longer, I like to squirrel hunt, and I have always (50+ years) have always used optics. I would put in a picture, but I can't figure out how this forum works. DF I'll be back if I can figure it out.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

10. Jay

Jay New Member

I shouldered one once at a gun show, and the angle of the buttstock to the bore was considerably greater than I was willing to deal with. To each his/her own, but that was enough to turn me away from it. Those actions are real smooth, I'll give 'em that.
  11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

My father has hade three of the frontiers in his shop and he had to deburr everyone of them. Henry used to be a good rifle but it seems as of late their quality has been falling off the wagon. Which is where I am hearing alot of compaints about other manufacturers. As far as the rifle is concerned they both shoot well but if I was to go to a lever action 22lr rifle I believe I would lean mre to Marlin. Of the two choices of the thread I guess if you are after flash and flair the Golden Boy is a pretty thing, the Frontier is a nice looking rifle also. I guess it is personal preferance on this one.
  12. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Pretty guns do not necessarily shoot well.
  13. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

had a goldenboy. it looked good and shoot good. it started failing to extract at around 3,000 rounds. had the same problem with a henry lever carbine. fixed both of them by cutting the extractor notch just a tad deeper into the chamber, but not so deep that it would cause bulging on casings or bursting of them. the problem with the goldenboy is that for all that shine and glamor.... the comb on the stock isn't near high enough to get a good cheek weld when using the sights. you'de think that the folks at henry would want it to be comfortable. if i still had it would put one of them leather lace on cheek pads on it to raise the comb
  14. whichfinger

whichfinger New Member

Yeah, I know - I'm late to the party.

I have two Henrys, an H001M .22 mag and an H001T. Love 'em both, and Henry stands four square behind their guns. Email them and you'll get an answer from the company owner. He will make things right.

Now, I have to point out that the "blued" Henry receiver covers are actually painted aluminum. Nothing horribly wrong with that, but you do need to be careful with cleaning solvents. The really potent ones like Gun Scrubber will remove the paint. Even that shouldn't be an issue, because there's no need to use those solvents on a .22.
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Not sure what you mean by 'frontier'.
    Here's my H001T.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the paint was 'less than attractive' for what I wanted looks wise, so I stripped it and doctored it up.
    I couldn't see scoping it cuz it just didn't seem right. So I added a Marbles tang sight instead. You can see where I installed a blank in place of the original rear sight. The tang sight adds 16-18 inches to the sight radius.
    Good for old eyes. Not so much for up close shooting. Then again, neither is a scope.