Henry Golden Boy

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by bigdel, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Negotiated with the wife (how many more guns are you going to buy) for enough money to purchase an entry level 1911. My son and I spent most of the day going to the local pawn and gun shops and found a few good buys. But for some reason, it just wasn't scratching the itch plus I kept thinking about $30 a box for ammo. At the last store, they had two henry .22's which I have been also wanting for some time. They had just one Golden Boy left for a reasonable price so I jumped on it.

Maybe I'm just too cheap, but I will usually put 6-10 rounds through my .39 sp. and then pull out my SW 22a and have a blast. What is it about 22's that are so fun? Can't wait to take my henry to the range, but it probably won't be tomorrow. I have to start my payments to the missus. :)
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    if you can get good deals then tell wife its money in the bank.i have lost 0 on my guns,guess how much on my 401k? old semperfi
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I like your style!
  4. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a Golden Boy and I love it. It is hard to imagine that there is any lever actioned 22 that is better. Mine is smooth as glass. Fit and finish is A-1. Only thing about it is my aging eyes have a little problem with the sites. The sites are great it is just my eyes not so mauch.

Congratulations on your new rifle. You are gonna love it.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i once had a goldenboy but the comb was way too low on the stock to suit me. i should have put one of them leather cheap pads on it but i sold it
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

They are good rifle's and 100% made in the USA and you can shoot all day for a fraction of the price of any larger caliber. Like old semperfi was saying,
    I think your making an investment when buying firearms as long as they are taken care of, the value isnt going to go down on them. Have fun at the range and shoot away with that Henry! Enjoy.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  7. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Took her to the range for the first time today and put about 150 rounds through it. What a blast.
  8. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

yeah my best friend just brought one a couple of weeks ago with the octagon barrel , it was a hoot to shoot and very nice looking, it makes me want one
  9. johnlives4christ

the one i had was accurate, after about 3000 rounds i had failure to extract issues. i cut the extractor notch in the barrel just a tad deeper and it fixed the problem. had the same issue with a henry rifle i had a few years later.
  10. raveneap

raveneap New Member

The Golden Boy is a great.22 rifle. But here's the rifle that's given me the most fun of any .22lr that I've ever owned. SW M&P 15-22.

[​IMG]
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I never owned one, and for just the opposite reason! When I put the Henry rifles to my shoulder, and look down the sites, I see the whole barrell!
  12. johnlives4christ

you must have fat jowls lol
  13. LewiSS

LewiSS New Member

I bought my wife the Henry H001 Youth (the one with the '92 styling, 1" shorter stock and 16" barrel). While she hasn't made it to the range with me since, I have shot it a couple of times and love it! I'm about 5' 10", but the short thing fits me really well. I just put a williams peep sight on it last night and can't wait to get out and sight it in. I like it much better than my last '92/'94 style .22, a Winchester 9422M (which is supposed to be "the best"). Love that Henry quality and made in the good-old USA.

If you have a Henry in the '92 style and don't like the drop and lack of cheek rest, you can always get the stock for the Henry .17 Varmint Express which is a Monte Carlo style.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  14. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive got the Henry H001 standard and as far as accuracy, there is no problems with shooting the cci blazers in it. I have the rear adjustable sight set for 100yds. Had one of those "I feel the need and it can be done" moments here a while back when I woke up one morning after before going to sleep that night, I was watching "impossible shoots" on the outdoor channel :D. I got up, got the rifle out and woke up my b-inlaw and set up some 1-1 & 1/2" sized stones and set them up in a line at 150yds. Right from the get-go the small stones was turning into poofs of dust...went thru about 150 rounds til it was time to step it up a notch and put some 1/2" sized stone/gravels up...the hits was about 50/50...awesome shooting little rifle(was that day):D
  15. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Are they still coming with plastic sights and bands? that was the biggest drawback I had with them.