Henry rifle in .38/.357 need review

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by johnnybocce, Jun 7, 2010.

1. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Can anyone supply me with information on the Henry rifle chambered in .38/.357? I would like to know how the rifle cycles both calibers. How is its accuracy? What are the best loads to use? I own a Marlin in .44 cal. The rifle shoots and cycles the .44 mag with flawless performance and exceptional accuracy. I have yet to fire the .44 special which I hear sometimes does not cycle as well. Thanks. JohnnyBocce
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    in checking their web sight,i can only find one that shoots 357 mag.nothing is mentioned about 38.i do however own three henrys at this time and they are fantastic. i have had rifles that shoot both calibers and i find that it is one or the other that really works right. old semperfi
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Lever guns chambered in 357 will chamber the .38, and shoot it. It is safe to do so. There are some that report ejection problems, but I would give it a try. I have revolvers in both calibers, and I too want a lever gun chambered for these bullets.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Sometimes the system in a lever gun that feeds ammo is length of cartridge dependent. The difference between 38SPL and 357MAG is significant and unless someone has actually tried it in the gun of interest all bets are off.

The carrier (the device that lifts the cartridge from the cartridge feed tube level up to where the bolt can push the cartridge into the barrel) is so designed that the length of the cartridge positions the next round. If too short it allows the cartridge to move too rearward, blocking the path of the carrier. Some designs accommodate that but the classic original Winchester Model 1892's don't, I believe. Many of the 357 levers today are clones of that John Browning/Winchester design.

Having said all that the Henry web page indicates it will handle both 357MAG and 38SPL:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm

LDBennett
  5. Old John

Old John New Member

Well, I don't have a Henry in .357. But, I have a Winchester '94 Trapper in .357. It works just as well with .38's as .357's.
    .38. specials and .357's are great for raccons possums and such around the farm.
  6. The Count

The Count New Member

if you are really in the market for such a lever action rifle i can only give you the advice to BUY IT NOW! i was looking for a Marlin 1894 (any version) and they are impossible to get. Seems like only some Henry's are to be had at the moment.
  7. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my question. I did read that many of the rifles such as the .44mag/.44sp. and the .357/.38 do sometimes have difficulty chambering the small cartridge. I don't know what make I will purchase yet. I already have the Marlin in .44 mag. Johnnybocce
  8. The Count

The Count New Member

I actually wound up buying the Henry Big Boy in 357! Was more than I had planned to spend but my gun shop (a large, well connected one) said there were NO Marlin 1894's in stock at ANY wholesaler.

The Henry is a good looking gun. Very slick action. A bit on the heavy side but it reminds you it is not a toy :) Surprisingly light recoil. Tubular magazine needs some getting used to.

All in all, a fun gun to shoot.