Henry US Survival AR7 - newer design

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by frow blucher, Apr 1, 2013.

1. frow blucher

frow blucher Member

read vinny's post about 22 cal rifles to choose. Noticed that there aren't any threads about this 'newer' Henry ar7 (other than vinny's including it in his question). I did alot of research on this gun before buying it. Mainly, alot of negatives on this great Stoner design from when it was produced earlier by Armalite and others. More recent research seems to indicate that the Henry company has redesigned it and it's getting high marks, esp for both it's form and function. I bought one, works well. Cheap, yes, but as a bugout item, seems to fit the bill for me.
    I'm not interested in the pre-Henry-mfgrd ones, as these apparently were not well made. Does anyone out there have any more recent info on the Henry modern model? Like I said, mine works well, accurate, but I don't think of it as an everyday, on-the-farm, varmint killer. But as an emergency small game, bug out-type gun, it works for me.

FB
  2. vinnyqc

vinnyqc New Member

what is that "newer" / last model called exactly ? Where to get it , how to make sure you dont get an older, cheaply made version ? Maybe they talk more about it on the .22 section of the forum ?
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Vinny;

This basic design was manufactured by Armalite first and then by H&R (if I'm remembering correctly). Both of those versions had feeding issues.

Henry made some tweaks to the design before releasing their version. As far as I know, there are no known issues with any of the ones made by Henry.
  4. vinnyqc

vinnyqc New Member

the ones with orange plastic in the stock are the newest if i remember correctly?
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I can't speak to the "newest" version.

Armalite and H&R both called it the AR-7; Henry calls it the Henry Survival Rifle (ETA: apparently they've picked up the AR-7 name, too). As long as you have a Henry, you should be good. I would not buy one made by anyone other than Henry (and it's not really something I myself would buy anyway).
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I believe your "inner ear" is going deaf, Josh. It wasn't "H&R", it was "Charter Arms".

Well, they kinda sound alike.
  7. frow blucher

frow blucher Member

vinny, these other answers are correct. Henry revamped the Eugene Stoner (designer of the M16 also) design of this AR7/Survival rifle. Just get a newer Henry-made model with the orange insert in the stock that holds the parts.
    By the way, I agree there are better .22's out there, like those mentioned before. The US Survival is just different, for bug out, backpack, etc. but my guess is the others mentioned are more sturdy perhaps. I might add that Henry makes what looks like really nice .22 lever actions. I'd love to own one of them when I can afford it. Among my other guns, I like my AR7 from Henry though for it's purpose.
    (Henry has dealers, go to the Henry site, you'll find one. Note, if you do get one, pay attention to the ammo, they recommend use of American made high velocity .22 LR, CCI is what I use.)
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Eh, I must be getting old. It's not the first thing I've forgotten.

You may want to consider some hearing protection next time you shoot. ;)
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You don't think H & R and Charter ARMS kinda sorta sound alike?

I was trying to give you a way out. But if you wish to insist on brain fade or Old Timers Disease .... :D
  10. alcovyguns

alcovyguns New Member

I had a Charter Arms AR7 pistol and a AR7 rifle made by Survival Arms of FL. the feeding problem was caused by to much play in the mag well. I bought afer market mags that solved the problem. The Charter Arms pistol was ok but the rifle was a complete piece of sh*t. I sold both of them. As has been said the are ok for survival but for me that is it. I hardly ever shot them.