Here goes......AR 15 in .223 or M1 Garand in .30-06?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by frosty, Sep 23, 2003.

?

Which is better and why AR 15 in .223 or M1 Garand in .30-06?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2003.
  1. AR 15 in .223

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. M1 Garand in .30-06

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. frosty

frosty New Member

Which would you choose and why?

I like both but each one for a certain reason.

I would like to find out just who likes what and why?:)
  2. cd45

cd45 New Member

I chose the AR in .223 because I already have one. I really like the
    Garand but, I already own a L1A1 in .308, pretty much redundant. And .30-06 is not very cheap, .308 is very cheap due to military surplus.
  3. warpig

warpig Guest

While I like both I had to go with the Garand based soley on character.

Even though the .223 is much cheaper...and the AR15 IS black which means it just has to be the EVIL weapon of choice for snipers :rolleyes:

That itty bitty bullet coming out of that plastic stocked, aluminum gun just don't have the character of the Garand.

I will take my old beatup war horse M1 Garand any day:):)
  4. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Boom!

Well, let's see here. I'd love to have a slicked up, accurized AR with a stainless BB, but only for a VARMINT gun. I might take a couple of 'yotes with it or sneek up on some clay pigeons while they're roosting.

But, if I wanted a real weapon to take some big game/or try to get out of a war alive, I'd take the M1. True, ammo for the .30-06 is pretty expensive, but I think I've even seen some old surplus 06 ammo somewhere for under .25$/round.

Bottome line in my opinion: AR is a nice gun/plinker/toy/conversation piece/sniper rifle. M1 is a nice weapon.

Plus, you can't mess with the sound of a garand. Period.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'll go with the flow here. M1 Garand in 30-06. Hell Frosty, you reload so who cares about the cost? Nostalgia setting in. Had one and shot it in high school ROTC. Carried a M-14 in the Corps. These two are on the top of my wish list. Someday I'll own a Mattie Mattel special! :D :D :D :D
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  6. Jambo

Jambo New Member

You can't compare apples to oranges.
    Both are good guns.
    The AR-15 is, obviously, a more advanced weapon. It's an incredibly dirty rifle because the gas produced by the cartridge blows right into the receiver, so they have to be cleaned more frequently than any other gas-operated rifle. Another thing to consider: .223 isn't the most accurate cartridge, but that can be compensated for by adding on things to your rifle.
    However, the AR-15 is highly customizable; more so than the M1 Garand. About all you can get for the M1 are scope mounts, .308 barrels, flash hiders and muzzle brakes, better sights, synthetic and laminate stocks, and adjustable gas plugs. .30-06 military surplus ammo isn't as cheap as .223 or .308, but it's still pretty cheap. The Garand is also a very accurate rifle, but it's going to be made to shoot 1/2" groups as easily as the AR-15, simply because you don't have to worry about bedding the action or setting "presure points" with the AR-15.

You see, it all depends on what you're going to be doing. Hell, forget both of them and buy an M1A and you got the best of both worlds: a beautiful rifle and accuracy right out of the box. Also, it shoots one of the most accurate cartridges in the world.
  7. frosty

frosty New Member

Yes I know I reload............just gettin finicky.........stupid me.

Slap me on the head my beeny is out of whack....damn radar!!

ok ok ok I would love to have both but I know the Ar 15 is prone to some problems if i neglect it just a little. The Garand is idiot proof and can go longer without screwing up.

Got to get a Garand!!!!!:) :)
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay Frosty, go get the dang Garand, pick up a set of reloading dies, a bag of clips and replace the copper screen in your beanie.

Now Move Out, Fella and report back soon!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
  9. frosty

frosty New Member

copper screen??????????
    sir.
    I was not issued a screen.
    sir.

must find garand.

need garand.

water.

garand.

water.

garand.

Damn radar................copper screen check.
    ready check.
  10. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Screen cuts down on the microwaves!

Attached Files:

11. warpig

warpig Guest

ROFLMAO

that is what you get for not wearing your tinfoil beanie
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

We'll learn him yet, Piggy!
  13. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I think all three American Battle rifles...(M-1 Garand, M14/M1A & M-16/AR-15)...are all good weapons in thier own particular ways. I'd love to own all three, but that isn't in the financial cards for me.

I'd have to agree with Jumbo, and say split them down the middle and get yourself an M1A. I got the basic G.I. model, and it shoots better than I do, it's got the looks of a traditional American battle rifle, shoots a substantial cartridge, and can pack a 20 round mag...(pre-ban of course)

There's lots of .308 / 7.62mm surplus ammo availible on the net, and as it's still being used around the world, this supply shouldn't run out anytime soon.....(you gotta ask yourself...how much longer is cheap surplus .30-06 going to be around)....of course if the supply of surplus .30-06 does run dry, you can always have that M-1 converted to .308......

Tough choice....:confused: