Here is the 51 senators who opposed the U.N.Treaty

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by savage170, Jul 28, 2012.

1. savage170

savage170 Member

In case you all what to see who didn't support your 2nd amendment right

Jul 26 2012

Sen. Moran and 50 Senators: Second Amendment Rights are not Negotiable

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS) today led 50 senators in expressing grave concern about the dangers posed to Americans’ Second Amendment rights by the United Nations’ Arms Trade Treaty. The 51 senators notified President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton of their intent to oppose ratification of an Arms Trade Treaty that in any way restricts the rights of law-abiding American gun owners. The opposition is strong enough to block the treaty from Senate passage, as treaties submitted to the U.S. Senate require approval of two-thirds of Senators present to be ratified.

In the letter, the senators wrote: “As the treaty process continues, we strongly encourage your administration not only to uphold our country’s constitutional protections of civilian firearms ownership, but to ensure – if necessary, by breaking consensus at the July conference – that the treaty will explicitly recognize the legitimacy of lawful activities associated with firearms, including but not limited to the right of self-defense. As members of the United States Senate, we will oppose the ratification of any Arms Trade Treaty that falls short of this standard.”

“Our country’s sovereignty and the rights of American citizens must not be infringed upon by the United Nations,” Sen. Moran said. “Today, the Senate sends a powerful message to the Obama Administration: an Arms Trade Treaty that does not protect ownership of civilian firearms will fail in the Senate. Our firearm freedoms are not negotiable.”

“The NRA, our four million members and the tens of millions of law-abiding Americans who own firearms will never surrender our right to keep and bear arms to the United Nations,” said Chris Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “That is why the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty has been met with the full opposition of the NRA. We are grateful for the efforts of these senators, led by Senator Jerry Moran, to oppose this encroachment of international tyranny.”

The U.N. conference on the Arms Trade Treaty is taking place this week in New York City. In October of 2009 at the U.N. General Assembly, the Obama Administration reversed the positions of the two previous Administrations and voted for the U.S. to participate in negotiating the Arms Trade Treaty, purportedly to establish “common international standards for the import, export, and transfer of conventional arms.” However, by threatening to include civilian firearms within its scope, the Arms Trade Treaty could restrict the lawful private ownership of firearms in the United States.

The letter was signed by U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (R-TN), Kelly Ayotte (R-NH), Max Baucus (D-MT), John Barrasso (R-WY), Mark Begich (D-AK), Roy Blunt (R-MO), John Boozman (R-AR), Richard Burr (R-NC), Bob Casey (D-PA), Dan Coats (R-IN), Tom Coburn (R-OK), Thad Cochran (R-MS), Susan Collins (R-ME), Bob Corker (R-TN), John Cornyn (R-TX), Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Enzi (R-WY), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Chuck Grassley (R-IA), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Dean Heller (R-NV), John Hoeven (R-ND), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), James Inhofe (R-OK), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Mike Johanns (R-NE), Ron Johnson (R-WI), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), Mike Lee (R-UT), Joe Manchin (D-WV), Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Jerry Moran (R-KS), Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Ben Nelson (D-NE), Rand Paul (R-KY), Rob Portman (R-OH), Mark Pryor (D-AR), Jim Risch (R-ID), Pat Roberts (R-KS), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Richard Shelby (R-AL), Olympia Snowe (R-ME), Jon Tester (D-MT), John Thune (R-SD), Pat Toomey (R-PA), David Vitter (R-LA), Jim Webb (D-VA), and Roger Wicker (R-MS).

I noticed that one of my senators is missing I guess I need to find out what kind of form letter Bill Nelson sends me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

where did you get this info? i need link
  3. savage170

savage170 Member

4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Not surprising, Herb Kohl didn't stand up against it. Just Ron Johnson. Mr. Johnson will be getting my vote again.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

You will be wasting your time sending him a letter. I have sent him dozens of e-mails over the past few years, and all I get in return are form letters about how he is working for the good of the citizens of Florida.:rolleyes: Useless liberal.:mad:
  6. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

:mad:Oddly No NY senator signed it! I was sure ole Chuck Schumer :bleh: loved the 2nd amendment.
  7. BRSmith

BRSmith Member

I see both of the Minnesota Senators neglected to sign as well. Not that I was really expecting to see their names since they both are democrats...
  8. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

Same as Michigan's Levin and Stabmenow
  9. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

BOTH senators from Alabama signed it! :)
  10. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

Im glad to see both Tn senators signed hopefully its their true beleifs and not the pending november election
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Failed to see Kirk from IL on this list. I know he had a stroke some months back and not sure how he is doing. Roland Burris was one of the few people not under inditment so he was appointed to fill Obama's seat. I don't think he can read and write so that's not a surprise.
  12. H-D

H-D Active Member

thanks Thad, and Roger, Glad to see my e-mail was successful :)
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Looks like 2 from Arkansas!

Oh and folks that like to contact senators and such:

Some, maybe a bunch(I'm not sure, but I had one tell me of such practices.) use a kind of equation to guage support. The give points for differant kinds of contact. I believe that an email is say 1 point, phone call is 2 points, and a personal visit is 5 points. Like "Whose line" "the points dont really matter". These are just examples. But basically, the more personal and the more trouble it is gives you more points, so to speak. They use this to gauge support. If a person shows up to talk in person they equate that to more people supporting it. I didnt explain that very well, but maybe you get my meaning. So if possible, send them hand written letters or make an appointment and see them or one of thier aides.
  14. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Ignorance is no excuse, someone could have showed him where to put his X.;)
  15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Both from TX on list.:):thumbsup::thumbsup: