Here is the cost per bullet!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Jan 21, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

140 lbs @ 32.00 equals the following.....

158 grns each is...0.0051 per round
    230 grns each is...0.0075 per round
    250 grns each is...0.0081 per round
    300 grns each is...0.0097 per round

Not bad at all I would say considering I just payed $15.95 for a box of 500 158 grn RNFP.

I AM HAPPY.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Simply Amazing, huh? Now that you have the cost per bullet, figure out the load you'll use and figure out the cost per round.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  3. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Do you guys ever try to include the cost of the equipment? Maybe some formula with a depriciating value built in!:D :D

It is cheaper but in the long run you spend more money because you shoot more.

Casting, reloading and shooting. A great stress reliever.

BTW, I've got over 300 pounds of pure lead and linotype ingots in coffee cans waiting to be cast. But, it has been years since I touched the casting equipment.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Linotype. There is something I haven't heard in years. When I was a kid, my father owned a printing equipment sales company. He used to sell Linotype type casting machines. These had melting pots on them that could hold 100 pound ingots of linotype lead. It was a chain feed with level sensing. I had access to all the ingots I could get away with. Now there is some great casting material. Sure wish I could find it here.

That is the reason I add 50/50 bar solder to my wheel weights. Brings them up to linotype hardness.

As far as depreciation of equipment, I use the cost of my reload vs store bought and take the difference as machinery cost.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  5. tuckerd1

Inplanotx, I got my linotype from a printing shop that was closing. Got what they had left for free. Makes some good bullets.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Tuckered, all I do is keep notes of my reloading expenditures and also a list of all my completed reloads, some day I'll tally it all up, and do a comparison with factory ammo prices to kinda see what I've saved.

~Crp
  7. tuckerd1

I was just trying to be cute. :D :D Original equipment cost really doesn't matter. It is a new enjoyable hobby and you have better quality control and diversity built in. If I didn't spend it on this I would spend it on something else. Enjoy it because you do save money if you shoot a lot.