Here's a cast iron question

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Alpo, Aug 29, 2012.

1. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I'm not real sure about "fixing" a good cast iron skillet or dutch oven once it's painted I've never done it but if I were going to try it I'd put it into a really hot fire outside. Once cool I'd carefully reseason it.

Before using your cast iron skillet or cookware again for the first time, you want to season it. It's a lot easier than it sounds. Before using your cast iron skillet for the first time, you want to coat it with oil (vegetable, olive, etc.) and place upside down in a preheated oven at 350 degrees, I've heard people using even higher temps up to 500. Personal preference I guess but I'd want a good cast iron skillet to begin with!

Put a cookie sheet or aluminum foil under it in the oven to catch any drippings. Bake in the oven for one hour, then cut the oven off and allow the skillet to cool down to room temperature. This is easy to do if you leave it there overnight. Periodically, you may want to "re-season" your cast iron skillet or cookware using this same method.

My grandmother used heavy cast iron skillets of various sizes forever and generally just cleaned them with a paper or cloth towel.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

After fiddle dicking around for years with virtually every cooking oil or grease out there in a cast iron seasoning application I finally settled on peanut oil. It goes on easy and lasts a long time. Peanut oil has a fairly high flash point and once the lower level volatile hydrocarbons are burned off in the one hour 350 degree oven baking process, a fairly hard shell non-stick protective cooking surface remains after the pan cools in the oven. And then once a good hard shell coating has been applied, I also found that I can even touch up the non-stick cooking surface with a light paper towel wiped on coating of peanut oil applied to the cooking surface over a moderate (very lightly smoking) heat right on top of the range. The quicky 15-20 minute non-stick cooking surface repair process generates fairly acrid smoke, but the process works.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Folks, if you want to talk about how to season cast iron, there's another thread talking about how to cook in and how to season cast iron.

Put your thoughts there.

This thread is about how to remove paint.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Bingo we have a winner here or at least another shooter doing it my way. Nice hot camp fire and toss the pan in, keep fire going and don't take pan out till fire is out.

I used to re charge my pans this way because my mother in law bless her little pea picking heart was not satisfied till every pot and pan in our house was sparkly shiny gleaming white. I'd toss in some bacon and lay it right on the fire and let the pan fry till the bacon was gone with the wind. Let cool, wipe off with a paper towel or hunk of wadded up newspaper and hang it back up again.

I finally learned to hide it in the attic when I knew she was coming. Warning don't let youngster see where you hid it because he will make brownie points with Granny for showing her where it is.

I'd do the same with the paint job pan, burn it off then dump oil or lard or a slab of bacon into the pan and do it again. I do believe I would get it sand blasted first though. The more you get off physically the fewer molecules of toxic substances you will have to deal with later. My drill and several wire brush heads have done away with a lot of rust before I did my pans. Then I found high speed reversible air drill that works even better using the same brushes.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Yes and after removing paint it's a good idea to reseason right.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

+1 for the old grumps comments, only before firing the pan scrub with steelwool and boil water for an hour and scrub again. Besides, a little paint is not fatal; just not tasty.
  7. tango1niner

tango1niner Member

I say to go to garage sales out in the country. Go to the old folk ones. Look for the ugliest, cruddiest, nastiest ones you can find and buy 'em. Take them home and spray them up with easy off oven cleaner. Scrape the crap off and do it again, inside and out. Do it until all the OPF is removed. Now you are ready to wash with hot soapy water and rinse. Season away. OPF = other peoples food
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I like old cast iron for the longer handles.