here's some pics

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mitchell38, Aug 3, 2012.

1. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

big brown truck came today,got the scale,press and dies set up,sizing and de-capping my spents,only problem so far is the primer cather is'nt.most of the spent primers are going to the right of the ram onto the floor and not being directed to the left into the catcher,is this the norm or do i have something wrong

Attached Files:

2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow, that has to be exciting. Good for you.
  3. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

:thumbsup:
  4. mvmtoys

mvmtoys New Member

Welcome I have the same press with the same issue my primers always eject to the right instead of the catch, if you figure it out let me know, and once again welcome
  5. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Nice m38! Just guessing on the primer direction, but I believe that press is set up to take a priming system attachment. Your primers are probably going out the opening for the primer chuck/holder on the right of the ram. If you put that piece in even though you don't have the whole primer auto set up, the spent primer will hit it and go to the left where you want it. Good luck and enjoy. Read your loading manual carefully if you are a beginner and even if your not!
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

my lee c press is my decap station.. fortunately id drops them out the bottom of the frame where I have a bottle setup to catch them..
  7. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I have the Lee reloading system, and yes you have to have the primer arm installed for the spent primer to eject to the left and go down the tube holder.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

my rockchucker spills 'em all over also; it's got a plastic catcher but it gets in the way so my floor is covered in primers all the time... and shot from the shotshell presses....

seems like the only ones that do a great job of catching spent primers are the progressive loaders.

that's a nice batch o' goodies ya got there!
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have a really old Lee press. The primers go into the ram and it has a hole on the right side that kinda funnels the spent primers into a little tray like thing that holds them. I really can't tell from your picture if it has that "tray" on it. I will try to get a picture in the morning to show you what I mean.
  10. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

thanks for the input folks,going to look into it some more,by the way what is a 'sticky' this is my first forum
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same problem here with my Lee press. My solution was to place a kitchen garbage can under it, with a bag in it. It not only catches spent primers, it holds regular garbage as well.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Go to the main page of the Ammo & Reloading Forum. You will see all of the threads listed, the first 13 have the word Sticky before the topic. The first one you see is Explaining Headspace.

Now back to pictures, here is the picture I said I would get this morning. This is taken from the right side of the press. You can't see it, but the Ram Handle is all the way down. You can see that the Ram is all the way up. On the lower part of the ram you can see an oblong shaped hole in the ram, that is where the old primers come out. You can also see the "tray" where the spent primers are being caught. Tray is probably not a good word for it cause it is actually part of the press itself. In your picture, the press is laying on its right side so I can't see if it has the "tray".

Attached Files: