Heritage .22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by killbuck, Dec 26, 2009.

1. killbuck

killbuck New Member

A female friend of mine wants a .22 revolver just to plink with and doesn't want to spend a big buck for it. She said she was looking at a Heritage SA .22 at a fairly new gun shop that just opened and the price was in her range. She asked me about them but I have no idea about their handguns at all.

Anyone have any comments on them?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

They are ok I got one for cheap and as far as a plinker goes its ok. Love the fiber optic site on it.Not as well made as my ruger single six but I didnt pay near as much either. Would do it again if I wanted a decent plinker.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Killbuck, I have never shot one but I had a customer tell me good things about them so I ordered 2 of them to sell here in the shop. They are the 22lr / 22mag convertable. No the quality is not like ruger but I am selling them for 212.00. Good revolver for the money I would say.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Not sure about Heritage, but have heard good things about them. I bought my revolver used and cheap at a gun show, it's some weird German brand I never heard of, a .22/.22 Magnum. Great little gun! Magnums add extra fun and noise.
  5. killbuck

killbuck New Member

That sounds about right in cost. His was 210 I think she said. She didn't say anything about 22mag tho. I'll find later today 3when she stops by. Guess I'll tell her to go for it. :)

Thanks everyone. ;)
  6. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

My friend has one with the two different cylinders for lr or mag. Very fun shooting. They seem to be good quality because we've shot his for years. He came over to visit last week and brought it along. I was suprised he still had it. Always a fun shooter :D
  7. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

My wife bought the case color model and loves it. I shoots wolf match extra the best. Brick of ammo is almost as much as the gun.
  8. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Does it have to be a revolver? Ruger MKIII standard should be in the ball park of 220 or near there, It would be a blast for her to shoot.
  9. killbuck

killbuck New Member

:) She already has the MKIII and loves it. I wouldn't want her shooting at me with either. :D She just wants a revolver SA to play around with I guess. I don't mind tho, I'll get to shoot it too. We go to the range a lot together.

killbuck
  10. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I picked up a case colored one for the kids to shoot. The wife liked it better than my Ruger single six as is has a manual safety. So far no issues, have yet to shoot 22 mag through it but it does not look as if that would be any difference other than cost.
  11. old dude

old dude New Member

One of my friends in another state has a Heritage and likes his. In fact, he's in the process right now of buying mount and rings for a scope. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
  12. jrg

jrg New Member

For plinking, should be okay. I purchased the little 3 1/2" bird handled gun, its one slick little guy. :cool: Here compared with a Ruger Bearcat.

[​IMG]

Not a lightweight gun though, I was surprised about that. Its at least 3/4 of a pound heavier than that Bearcat.
  13. TeMaK

TeMaK New Member

Hi Killbuck
    Watch out when you try the 22wmr cylinder! They become very addictive very quickly. :D. Really a neat little revolver. I found that both cylinders shot close to the same POA.
    jrg: If you will take a magnet and check your revolver you may find that you have the steel frame rather than the alloy frame. Heritage makes both versions.
    TaKe CaRe
    Ted
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  14. johnbrown22

johnbrown22 New Member

Just my 2 cents......

Got this gun recently (Heritage Rough Rider .22 Combo). Price was right (170 at Academy) compared to the much nicer Ruger equivalent Single Six (500+).

IMHO this gun is inherently dangerous. It does not have a transfer bar and if you take it off safety with the hammer in the lowest position, the firing pin WILL enter the cylinder area. Heritage instructions say to take off the safety (hammer block) only with the hammer cocked first, and carry with empty chamber under the hammer. That certainly will keep it safe, but only if you follow the instructions.

This gun is not for the casual user or someone who is not fully cognizant of this relatively unsafe feature.

Other than that, it looks like a lot of fun for the money! And a lot cheaper to shoot than my .38 carry snubby.

Hope this has been helpful.

Respectfully

JB
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Single action revolvers were like this for nearly a century. I don't think of it as a big deal.