1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Heritage 22lr handgun?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/6/02 10:44:26 am)
    Reply Heritage 22lr handgun?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maybe this is the wrong forum but here goes anyway.

Ran into a gentleman last night who had picked one up at the local sporting goods store for $119.

He liked the fact that it came with a 22mag cylinder as well and that the barrel was 6 1/2" long.

I've been looking for a .22lr revolver for mom and am wondering if anyone knows much about these guns.

Thank you.
    TLynn

Edited by: TallTLynn at: 1/6/02 12:42:16 pm

AntiqueDr
    (1/6/02 12:35:45 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Heritage 22lr rifle?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Those guns really strongly remind me of the Italian .22 LR/Mag single action imports from FIE and Excam (the 'Texas Ranger' and the 'Buffalo Scout') in the 80's, but the company absolutely denies importing any of their parts.

Curiously enough, since FIE (in Hialeah, FL) is no longer in business, parts and service for the Texas Ranger and Buffalo Scout are available through...... Heritage Manufacturing (in Opa Locka, FL). Possibly Heritage tooled up to manufacture the same revolver stateside, but I remain skeptical of the "Made in USA' slogan on this firearm.

In any event, I sold a bunch of the imported guns when FIE/Excam was around and they are an adequate revolver for the money. Plus, if the gun is new he got a good deal on the price.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

TallTLynn
    (1/6/02 12:48:25 pm)
    Reply Re: Heritage 22lr handgun?
    Thanks Doc. It is brand new in box and comes with the mag cylinder. He said I could probably haggle with them and get it down to $105 or $110. Will go look and see if they still have any next week. Might make mom a good handgun - since she wants one.

If not probably wouldn't hurt for me to have one to practice with since the .22lr Beretta isn't very big.
    TLynn

warpig883
    (1/6/02 7:30:05 pm)
    I have a friend who has one and can vouch for the fact that they are great guns. Very dependable.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Jackson
    (1/6/02 9:51:03 pm)
    A .22 cal Magnum single action is an excellent gun to have in the house loaded for defense. Now let me tell you why.

The 22 magnum has more then enough stopping or killing power for that matter up to at least 30 feet. In most homes and any apartment it would be rare to have that much let alone more distance.

It is safer because you have to cock it before you can pull the trigger, eliminating 99% of a chance of accidental discharge.

Xracer
    (1/6/02 10:15:50 pm)
    Hi Jackson....Welcome! Nice to see ya here.......but I disagree about a single action revolver being a good defensive weapon. Unless the shooter is very familiar and practiced with the weapon, in a high-stress situation, it's easy to forget to cock the weapon.

"T"......sounds like a nice plinker, but for home defense, I'd far prefer a shotgun.

TallTLynn
    (1/6/02 10:17:26 pm)
    Jackson, welcome to the boards. And a revolver is always a good thing to have for someone learning.

For my mom it might be perfect, for me I'll stick with my Beretta's for protection.
    TLynn

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/7/02 12:41:23 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Heritage 22lr handgun?
    Welcome Aboard Jackson!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

DarkStar11Redux
    (1/7/02 1:03:02 am)
    Howdy T,

I got a Heritage 22 combo revolver, that I purchased at the same time as two other friends. Mine is a 4" nickel combo; Friend #1 was a 4" blue w/ birds head grip; Friend #2 was a 5.5" blue combo (22 lr/22 mag). Mine never has has had a problem, except that the cheap nickel is flaking off (it started after only firing about 75 rounds!). Friend #1 had all sorts of problems, could never get empties to eject, etc. Friend #2 never had a problem to date.

i just saw some Heritage's with a matte nickel finish that looked much more durable than the cheap crap on mine.

I like mine a lot for what it is. I haul it around in the brush and don't mind shooting shot through it. It has alway worked for me. I wouldn't shoot shot through my Single Six, though.

Jackson
    (1/7/02 2:41:03 pm)
    I want to thank you'll for the warm welcome.

Regarding the single action. I was looking at that gun with regards to the ladys "Mom"

True a shotgun would be better but!!!!!!!!

To tell the truth, I have a Walther P99 in .40cal but it scares me to keep that gun loaded around the house. I do live in a small apartment and do spend at least two days a week at the range for practice.

TallTLynn
    (1/8/02 12:52:52 am)
    Jackson,

I thank you for how you were thinking and I totally agree! With my mom having just turned 65 I know that a nice .22 revolver (she can not handle big guns) would be a good thing for her.

Bought her a .22lr rifle that she has done awesome with (hell I wish I could shoot that well with such little training). She definitely takes after her mom (my dear departed grandmother) in that respect.

If the gunshop still has those handguns on sale after next payday I'll definitely buy her one (got to pay off BobinStLouis and AntiqueDr first).

By the way - very nice to meet you!
    TLynn

Smoky14
    (1/8/02 1:46:15 pm)
    Hey T Lynn my Mother taught me how to shoot when I was a lad of 10yrs.
    At that time she could put 5rds in an asprin tin at 75yrds. I have tried all my life to be that good.
    She died at 93 and could still shoot a 9mm at 10yrd good enough to stop anyone.
    She knew what "womens lib" truly was, and taught her son the good leasons of life.
    "How to shoot straight, speak the truth, and be responsible for what you do and say"

I MISS HER TO THIS DAY!!

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/8/02 2:08:48 pm)
    Welcome to you JACKSON!
    Glad you are here. You noticed we have a number of forums depending upon your interests.
    You made a real choice by posting at TFF!
    Thank you and ENJOY
    Charlie D aka Different name
    Mighty fine people here.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/12/02 12:32:15 am)
    Hey T, I have had a Heritage Rough Rider 22/22mag with a 6 inch barrel for about 2 years and like it alot. I have shot somewhere around 300 rounds with mine and have never had a bit of trouble with it. The finish on mine is worn pretty much but like I said I have shot it alot and carry it alot also. If a good shooting 22 that doesn't cost very much is what you want you have picked the perfect gun, But if you want a gun that will hold it's value better I would suggest the Ruger single-six or Ruger Bearcat. They cost a good bit more than the Heritage but are better made guns. I not knocking the Heritage a bit, I just wanted you to know that it isn't going to hold it's value like a ruger.

What ever you buy I hope your mom enjoys it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TallTLynn
    (1/13/02 2:43:07 pm)
    shane - thank you and I do realize the Heritage won't hold it's value. But mom is not looking for something expensive - but something that she can handle and that works. I like the idea of her having to pull the hammer back before firing - I still don't trust her in regards to not putting her finger on the trigger.

Besides I handled one yesterday up at the store and it seems like it would make a nice plinking .22 - I personally wouldn't use it for much else - but I like the old west look to it.
    TLynn

a young shooter
    (1/20/02 1:08:13 pm)
    Hello. I own a ruger single six like i said. i love the heritage i had but sold it last year to save mony to get my single six. I bought it for $200 and that was a steal with both .22 long and .22 mag the wood box and the fact it has engraveing on it plez tell me how this turns out