herters 9mm

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i noticed an add for herters 9mm 50 rnds from slick guns.

states it is a polymer coated steel case, non corrosive.

I've shot laquered steel cases before ( usually 223 or 762x39) but never a polymer coated case.

anyone use these?

do they chamber well? extract ok?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never tried the 9mm, but I have shot a small number of .223 without any problems. I haven't really shot enough of them to give you a definitive answer. The Herter's .223 are non-corrosive and.boxer primed.
  3. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

The 7.62X39 from Herters seems fine, but like most SKSs and AKs, mine will eat most anything. I don't put any steel cases in any 9mm that I have. Not to say that it shouldn't be done, I just don't. If I still had the Tec-9, then I'd probly be willing to burn the steel case stuff in it though.
  4. RandyP

RandyP Member

FWIW Hornady markets a line of hunting ammo that is steel cased.

I have shot Wolf/Tula/Herters in 3 pistol calibers without any negative issues to report. Same goes for Blazer aluminum case. The only downside for me is that I reload so I like to get the once-fired brass when I use factory made stuff.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

too bad the steel isn't reloadable.. and I don't like nickle plated brass either...
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

George L Herter (died 1994) was an eccentric mail order marketing genius who started in business in 1937 and basically went out of active business (or was put out, by the Federal Environmentalists) by about 1980. Link: http://neveryetmelted.com/2008/12/19/remembering-george-leonard-herter-and-his-catalogue/

Today Cabela's owns the Herter business name. Both Cabela's and Gander Mountain owe much their business success to Mr. Herter. Maybe that is why Cabela's bought and still uses the Herter's name, and used to sell a reprint of one of Herter's later and bigger catalogs.

Herter's put its name on many different products, including boats, bows, firearms, safety razors linked to the name "Mauser", and just about any other hunting, fishing, shooting related item you care to name.

According to George (who could be accurately called the P T Barnum of mail order marketing) everything that Herter's put its name on was not only the very best quality, it was superior to anything else that you could buy. George did not make his bows and fishing rods out of ordinary inferior fiberglass but used something he called farbanglass. His safety razor was a Mauser, and so on.

In reality, some Herter products were excellent, a few more were very good. Most products were mediocre, but still would get the job done and were a decent buy for what you paid.

As to the current line of Herter's ammo, it appears to be made in several countries, including Russia, Czech Republic, and USA.

Steel cases can be harder on extractors and ejectors that are not engineered to handle them. A bronze (or stainless steel; use SS with caution) chamber brush, turned at a slow speed (estimated 25 to 150 rpm) by a variable speed drill motor, in conjunction with an and aggressive solvent, will take care of any hydrocarbon deposit accumulation in a chamber.

Hope this is informative.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Back during WWII there were some .45ACP cases made of steel. I came across a partial case of it several years ago and I did reload some of it just to see if I could do it. I did not reload a lot of it but I actually still have some of that reloaded steel cased ammo somewhere. 99% of the steel cased stuff now days is Berdan primes and is not reloadable.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012