Herter's dial-o-matic powder measure

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunguy, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Bet you've never seen one of these babies, a genuine Herter's Dial-O-Matic powder measure fresh from ebay treasure box.

Haven't got the granualations figured out yet, but the dial ranges from zero to ten. Man is it ever neat, the little piston in the powder chamber raises and lowers like a little elevator when you twist the big dial.

This is a seriously good idea that should be brought out again in a modern version by one of the big reloading outfits.

Jim da Gunguy

Attached Files:

2. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Here is the other side with the big dial-o-matic knob.

Of course its shown here kind of dingy looking, but its old and now have it all cleaned up and buffed.

Took the orange cap off and put it on my No.55 powder measure that is the same color. The Herter's DOM now sports a black cap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, its an hour later and have the PM figured out now as to the dial-o-matic granualations.

In the scale of 1 to 10 its apparantly higher than I thought. For example, 1+3.5 dial setting is a consistant scale weighed read out of 8.7 grains for HS6 Hodgdon powder.

I chose this powder because its been kind of cranky with some of my other powder measures as to throwing inconsistant drops.

So, my manual Dillon slide bar PM and this old Herter's seem to handle HS6 just fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, got rid of that flakey looking wing nut screw thingy, turned out on my mini-lathe a small knurled knob one that looks real classy.

GG

Attached Files:

3. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Gunguy,

I know you reload, but you really seem to get a lot more enjoyment out of this old reloading equipment! It is interesting to see what you get next.

ENJOY,
    Don
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Yes sirree Don, but only the old stuff that has merit in reloading; like this dial-o-matic is the cats meow in engineering.

I'm serious in saying one of the big reloading equipment outfits should take a serious look at this gizzmo and up date it to modern technology...it is a super idea that is wasting away from the past. After all, the patents are long gone away on it.

George Herter did more for the reloading domain than anyone else except maybe Mike Dillon. I'll bet if the two of them were able to have got their heads together they'd come up with some really good things for us.

Jim
  5. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

I know things can be made better in most cases, but things are pretty simple with what these guys have come up with already.
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Well, I made this old thing a little better, got new aluminum knurl knobs and a lathe turned powder spout with 5/8 - 18 thread.

The old spout was a tad too big of a pour hole and had a ding in the out hole.

Jim

Attached Files:

7. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Another picture...

Attached Files: