Herters Reloading Press

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by NCDeerHtr, Dec 25, 2009.

1. NCDeerHtr

NCDeerHtr New Member

I came across this old Herters reloading press with only Model-0-super on it. This press is an extra heavy duty model. I have searched the internet over and cannot find this model of Herters press anywhere. I have learned a lot about the Herters Co. and other models of presses they made but not the one I have. Can anyone please help? I don't have a picture of it at this time but can get on posted if someone wants to see it. Thanks
  2. NCDeerHtr

NCDeerHtr New Member

Here are some photos of the press I came across. The handle is missing along with another part on the front.

Attached Files:

3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Herters "O" presses do show up on Ebay once in a while, it was Herters answer to keeping up with the manufactuers who were getting away from the "C" designs that had springing issues under heavy operation. I believe the "O" model came after the Super 3's. Like all Herter presses, shell holders are unique to their brand only, currently RCBS does make an adapter to allow use of current shell snap-in holders.
  4. NCDeerHtr

NCDeerHtr New Member

Tks Freebore for the information. Do you have any idea as to the year this press was produced? I have reloaded some about twenty years ago on a friends equipment and I am fixing to start back. I didn't know if this press would be any good to use but for $30 I paid for I can't complain. I do have some reloading equipment minus the press and digital scale. What are your opinions of the rock chucker supreme? Tks and all advice is greatly appreciated...
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

rock chucker seems very popular i have a lee press and am happy with it. but i think the rocker is way better. i bought lee because of a budget problem.
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

NC

As you know, reloading press choices are many (new, used, etc.). I've used many different types of makes and models and found the Rockchucker to meet most needs for most reloaders, the only (recent) concern I have with the RC IV is that the casting is believed to now be made in China. A few other good choices to look at are the Redding Boss or Big Boss, Lee Classic Cast, Lyman Crusher, Hornady LNL. All of these are in approximately the same price range except for the Lee Classic Cast which is a very good press (now on sale at MidwayUSA.com for $75.99, don't confused this model with other the Lee presses), this one is heavy cast iron and has some decent machining

I would date your Herter's "O" press around 1967 -68 (based on the "bar steel" handle, rather than the cast type usually found on early Herter's
  7. NCDeerHtr

NCDeerHtr New Member

Freebore

I took your advice and researched the presses you mentioned. I like the RCBS Supreme and the Hornady LNL single stage of which I think I will go with Hornady. Reason being the presses are so close in many but the kicker is that RCBS is cast in China. From what I have read the finish machine is done is Ca. but something tells me to buy American as much as I can, so I choose the Hornady. I'm still going to try and fire up the old herters and reload some with it. tks
  8. Freebore

Freebore New Member

I'm sure you'll like the Hornady LNL, they make excellent reloading equipment. Good luck with the Herter's... Midway does sell an adapter to allow the use of standard shell holders in Herter's presses.
  9. 38 special

38 special New Member

I have a herters super model 81. It is the strongest press I have ever seen past or present. It makes the current preese look like wimps. It takes RCBS dies I load everything on it. Never had a problem with it and its probably 90 years old.