1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hey Bob...Spanish Ruby revolver???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

WyomingSwede
    (4/17/01 7:09:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hey Bob...Spanish Ruby revolver???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have an opportunity to pick up a ruby revolver in 38 special. Nothing fancy...has some wear...would grade about 50%. says is good shooter. he wants a 95 dollar bill for it...sound in the ballpark??? Thanks swede
    Wyoming Swede

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (4/17/01 9:26:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey Bob...Spanish Ruby revolver???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wouldn't go any more than $95 - in 50% condition it would range $75 to $95. Would only fire milder loads in it also - nothing hot.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

WyomingSwede
    (4/18/01 7:02:28 am)
    Thanks Bob...I will attempt to beat him down. Swede
    Wyoming Swede

obelix2
    (4/18/01 9:05:16 am)
    What IS a Ruby revolver anyhow? A brand-name for one of those S&W copies they were turning out in the 20s?

Zigzag2
    (4/18/01 9:45:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hey Bob...Spanish Ruby revolver???
    yeah, what Obelix said? lol

Bob In St Louis
    (4/18/01 7:22:17 pm)
    Correcto Mundo. The Spanish after WWI were looking for new sales markets, so in the 1920s to 1930s they started copying S&W and Colt designs for sale in US and South American markets. Some of them were sloppy and crude, whereas others were well made. You just need to examine them closely on an individual basis to check the quality. Alot of the "Ruby" revolvers I have seen have actually been fairly well made.

obelix2
    (4/19/01 4:23:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Ruby revolvers
    I was also interested in the calibre. All those I've seen are in .32-20. Is the .38 special more desirable?

TallTLynn
    (4/19/01 6:28:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruby revolvers
    obelix2 - could you explain to me the caliber .32-20??? Is that close to a .32 or am I just confused as usual. So far the only Ruby's I've been hearing about are in .38 caliber so I'm curious as to this other caliber style.

Thanks...

Alphamale
    (4/19/01 6:42:09 pm)
    MissT, the .32-20 started out when they were still loading blackpowder in bullets. It's .32 caliber over 20 grains of blackpowder. That's how they usually named blackpowder cartridges, Caliber-How many grains of blackpowder was used to propell the buddit. .44-40, .45-70, fun names like that. Unless I'm mixing stuff up, which has been happening a lot lately, for some reason.
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Bob In St Louis
    (4/19/01 8:05:24 pm)
    They were produced in both calibers, with more production of the 38 specials then 32-20 towards the later 1920s into the 1930s. The 32-20 ones probably carry a little more collector's value, but for shootability, the 38 specials are probably better.

TYRVR
    (4/19/01 10:46:38 pm)
    Hey Bob, I found A Ruby for a friend, and it is in like new condition, but is very modern of manufacture, has A vent rib like the Python, frame mounted F.Pin, Python type front and rear sights, nice blue, and A smooth action, looks for all the world like A marriage of A S&W mod.15, and A Python, I was going to sell it for what I paid, ($200.00 range) am I charging too much? cause if I am, I will get My friend something else, need to know, as I am preparing to ship,

TallTLynn
    (4/19/01 10:55:59 pm)
    Tye, maybe you should ask the person you are selling the gun to what they think first.

Edited by: TallTLynn at: 4/20/01 12:01:51 am

TYRVR
    (4/20/01 8:47:33 am)
    Listen here, You overgrown Poke Stalk, I ain't Hoo-Dooing nobody on purpose! especially A Friend, and besides, this is Mens talk, You best be out in the Kitchen cleaning an Oven, or maybe re-arranging the Furniture in Your Bedroom, Kicking A Cat, or something, Bob, as You may have noticed The "Friend" just butted in, so tell Me if You will, as I want Her to get A quality Gun and still not have to shell out big bucks for A name, It seems to be identical to the Llama series of revolvers, only nicer, case colouring, and excellent fitting of side plate, and excellent bluing,smooth double action,

TallTLynn
    (4/20/01 6:21:16 pm)
    I own a self cleaning stove - mama didn't raise no dummy Tye - and what do you mean I can't butt into this conversation - geez!!!

Men, can't live with them and oh nevermind...

Bob In St Louis
    (4/20/01 7:37:39 pm)
    I am only up on the old Rubys. You say it is a newer production? You have me curious now. Do you have any other names, markings, etc. on it? Once you get to stuff newer than 1945 or 1950, I'm kinda sketchy on it.

WyomingSwede
    (4/27/01 12:01:26 am)
    Hey Bob...can ya believe it?? By the time I got back to him he sold to some one else for $115. Another one of those...it got away again...guess Ill wait for the next one.
    regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

TYRVR
    (4/27/01 6:55:06 am)
    Bob I would guess this gun was made in the 70s it is identical in appearance to the Llama Commanche photos, but says Ruby, Gabillondo y Cia, Espana, and thats all the markings I see other than Cal.

Bob In St Louis
    (4/27/01 7:56:17 pm)
    Your Ruby was manufactured by the company now known as Llama. This could be a variation of their Martial double action revolver, which were manufactured from 1969 to 1976. The American market pieces were marked "Martial", but "Ruby" was a common name for the same piece marketed in Mexico and South America. In about 95% condition they go for $200.00. The "Deluxe" version (chromed, engraved, gold) carry about an additional $50 premium. Reportedly good, well made pistols.

TallTLynn
    (4/27/01 8:01:36 pm)
    Thank you Bob, told Tye it was a fair price he was charging me. He did at least ship the gun though under the instructions to return it if I don't like it (like there's a chance that I'd do something like that).