Hey gun-nut

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JLA, Dec 15, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

She cleaned up like a brand new penny. :D

I love it, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice resto there Josh ! and nice promo shot for SGBO too; is that 5 bottles I count in the pic? Do I get bonus pts for finding them all?
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yaah, but thats only a fraction of what Ive got. I have a 32 oz machine oil bottle full of it in my range box. Those 5 bottles, 3 half oz LSA bottles and 2, 2 oz needle oilers stay on the desk.
  4. the wolf

the wolf New Member

a cool classic scale.. I like it:thumbsup:
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

OK, I'm curious what are we talking about? Do I need some?
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Dangit Josh, that thing cleaned up nicely! Almost looks brand new & fresh out of the box!
    Kinda makes me want to scrub mine up a bit...but I like the patina though.

Is that bubble level attached to the base?
    I noticed it in the other shots of it before you got it but just thought it was a scope level that was resting on the base since it really doesn't serve a purpose mounted that way. If it was mounted fore-n-aft instead of left-to-right I could see it being used to make sure both bearings were level.
    First one I've ever seen like that...
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a spare bubble just sittn there. I was checking to see how far off the scale was from zero when it was perfectly level.

I used mineral spirits and a toothbrush to clean it up. then filled the reservoir with royal purple 10W30 and wiped the base down with a bit of it on a cotton ball.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes you do. Contact woodnut. hes a vendor. Its expensive, but its the best gun oil on the market today.
  9. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Dang that looks so good I may have to get me one.
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Filled it mit der Purple Power! Dang, sounds like I'm at work, using "the good stuff". :) That scale oughta last forever now.
    I use just plain ole Quaker State or Motorcraft in my scale. Whichever one I've got leftover that I can drain out a jug when it's time to clean and refill the oil pot.
    We use food-grade RP in 99% of our gearboxes and all bearings at work and I've got two automatic transmissions filled with Purple ATF though. Excellent lube and yes it is worth the extra coin! I just can't bring myself to buy the motor oil since I stick with a 2500mile schedule regardless of if I run synth, synth-blend, or dino. Call me cheap! :D
  11. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Gosh Josh, looks like a brand spankin new one! SWEET!
  12. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Glad to see that you got it! I did a little with it and it work good for me.(with out the oil) I see the post office did not beat the crap out of it. Hope you did not mind my packing. Did that at work. Glad that you like it. I knew with just a bit of TLC she would look good. :) Just happy to see it go to a good home! I hope that you are happy with the trasaction.

If i told the story about where it had been for over 20 years you all would not belive it!!
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Everyone should have at least one bottle. Great stuff for many applications.
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

My last bottle of SBGO [6mos ago]
    is gold with a flip top spout........
    has MidniteRider changed that to a different style ????????
    I have an old Outers gun oil bottle with a needle tip
    I put some SBGO in, and I also keep some in a syringe.
    A different style of bottle from my last one would be an improvement........
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No I ordered the bottles. It still comes in those flaky painted bottles. I just like the needle oilers and the LSA oil bottles alot better.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Absolutely happy paul. BTW, did you get your half of the deal? I figure the PO should have it delivered by today. I got it posted at about 13:30 tuesday afternoon.

And do tell the story. Im all ears. :)
  17. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Yes i got the MO today.Thank you. Well it has sat in a barn that has very little roof. Very little siding left. And to top it all off!!!:eek: It sat under a wet cardboad box. The kid i got it from told me this. He is still getting stuff from his great-grandfather. So as we do some more trading i might just end up with more neet stuff. Like i said its a bit hard to belive that thats the way it was stored. But some people are like that up here in the great state of OHIO.
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And thast a testament to a solid steel scale thats coated in whatever impermiable coating redding put on it. The beam is either nickel steel or stainless steel as well as the weights, which is why they only were slightly discolored and had some scale (the other kind ;) ) on them. the mineral spirits and the brush took the red paint off the hash marks but I dont mind, its still perfectly readable without the red paint. This dude is dead nutz tho.
  19. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I was impressed myself when i got it home and started playing with it. I made no adjustments to it. so it has been set as far as i know all this time.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

YEah I didnt have to adjust anything after cleaning it. It was only a tenth off 0 when it was sitting level. So I just left it be and adjusted the zero nut up a bit to bring it in. Weighed every scale check weight I have from light 50 grainers to heavy 250 grainers and its dead on.