1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hey Guys... Question about Rifles... ( 1 2 3

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/01 6:20:53 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Hey Guys... Question about Rifles...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey all... I've posted over here before, but in case ya don't remember me, I'm a moderator over at the VMBB board (hehe - gotta use my power to influence - LOL) . Got this link from JD (Tac). I have a question and I've asked at the other board and thought I'd ask here too... got the feeling you could all help me out!

Here's the deal - I would very much like to get Nick (my boyfirend) a new rifle for Christmas as one of his gifts. I heard him talking about WWII rifles a while ago that are sitting in storage and can be sold... anyone know about this? can I acquire one, and if so, I have no idea what is a "good buy", etc.

Need some serious help here and any suggestions ya have. And I must sound rediculously naive here! So, bare with me - K?! Thanks!!

Just hope I'm not givin' him this present in the spring! (He's a Marine and has been gone to who the $&%^ knows where, so... just tryin to keep with the spirit of the holiday!)

Always Faithful

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/01 6:29:01 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Hey Guys... Question about Rifles...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "bare with me" ?? I'd luv to!!

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/01 6:30:26 pm)
    Uh Huh - okay anyone else want to try?!

LOL - cute, really cute!

Always Faithful

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/27/01 6:31:15 pm)
    If he does`nt get back till spring, he ain`t gonna be looking for a boxed gift....HONK-HONK-HONK!!! Neener-neener.....I crack.....(woops) me up.

Lots-o-rifles in storage, some cheap, some not so cheap. Gonna have to help us out a little more, ifin we is to help ya. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/27/01 6:38:20 pm)
    Don't know about your boyfriend, But I sure would love to see an old M1 or even a Springfield 1903 under the tree this year no matter what time it is that I make it home for Christmas.

I think both would be a great choice(USA military). Do some research though and try and get one in original condition with original parts.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/27/01 6:41:24 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hey Guys... Question about Rifles...
    Winter,

I'd say the M1-Garand would be the best choice,
    It's the WWII rifle, there is a small lot that has
    just been released from Govt. arsenals via a
    supplier for $500.00ea. As you know I am a
    dealer and we are not for from each other,
    send me an email when you decide when and
    what choice you want to make and I'll make
    the arrangements Kiddo!

There are many places available to get WWII era
    rifles, I'm sure some of our folks here will provide
    some knowledgeable info w/pictures & links for
    you.

Tac/JD
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/01 6:42:46 pm)
    You guys are funny... really funny... when he gets back this rifle won't be the first thing he gets!!

Alright LTS... this storage you're talking about, is this personal knowledge and where exactly are all of these rifles being held, you're being very vague. As for the price, not worrying about that, just give me the details of the rifle, the price and whether or not you think it's a great buy/deal/whatever the term should be. I'm looking for a WWII rifle. I don't know specifics about them, I can't remember what he said exactly, hopefully if I see it I will know it, just that it was used in WWII. I'm going to take a guess here and say that this isn't a very broad field.

K - JD & Fl... you guys posted before me, so THANKS for the info... JD - will prob be takin' you up on your offer... I'm gonna start lookin around and if ya don't mind, I'll run what I find by you...

Always Faithful

Edited by: Winter11 at: 11/27/01 6:45:31 pm

BlackGun
    (11/27/01 6:43:28 pm)
    Didn't we have a thread running awhile back about somebody selling surplus Military rifles, or was I day dreaming again?
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/01 6:46:42 pm)
    That would be too damn perfect.... let me know if ya did and what info ya have!!

Always Faithful

AntiqueDr
    (11/27/01 6:48:25 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I believe LTS would be describing DCM Garands. Might be wrong...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    (11/27/01 6:56:31 pm)
    I am no expert on WW2 military rifles, but don't you have a clue as to what country he was talking about? Mausers from Yugoslavia are pretty hot right now, there are some like new versions available for three to five hundred dollars, complete with accessories, bayonet and other goodies.

Russian rifles are prized by some of our chaps here abouts, they be nuts about Mosin Nagats, M-44. You can pick up a scoped sniper version for about $300.

If you want to see these guns from WW2, get yourself a copy of the Shotgun News from your local magazine store...they've got 'em all complete with prices and addresses. Good luck...and come back and visit with us offten, we don't bite...much.

Gunguy

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/27/01 7:05:17 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    www.shotgunnews.com

I'm most positive she's talking about USA WWII rifles!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/27/01 7:13:14 pm)
    Winter11, sorry for the vague answer...but it`s to a very vague question. DCM Grands are out there, but have qualifiers in order to buy one. I don`t know if you are a match shooter, so I`ll pass by those. Here`s a short list of rifles though.

M44 Russian 7.62x54
    Swedish Mauser 6.55
    1903 Springfield 30-06
    Mosin/Naget 91/30
    Enfield 303
    M39 Finnish 7.62x54
    Mauser K98
    VZ 24 Czech and the list goes on.

Do not buy the so called M39 sniper offered by I.O. it is a fake and a bad one...at that. I would not buy anything from them unless there was a condition of return and NO restocking fee and they paid back shipping too. I.O.(InterOrdnance) LTS

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 11/27/01 7:20:46 pm

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/27/01 7:33:13 pm)
    Thanks LTS - and everyone else. Ya got it JD - I'm looking for USA WWII rifles. I guess I should have specified that... I didn't think about that one, sorry. I've been looking around and found one possible.

JD - I posted the link over on the VMBB - take a look if you will.

Appreciate all the responses...

Always Faithful

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/27/01 7:39:52 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Will do Winter!

LTS,

CMP has just released a limited lot of Garands
    direct to the open market no strings attached
    so they say! $500.00ea.

BlackGun
    (11/27/01 9:17:34 pm)
    I may be way out in left field, but didn't Tuckerd1 buy one not long ago and waited 13 weeks for delivery?
    BlackGUN

tuckerd1
    (11/27/01 9:53:27 pm)
    Wernt me, but I do remember someone? saying they ordered one an it took awhile to get it.

polishshooter
    (11/27/01 10:22:13 pm)
    Winter if he's a Gyrene, he wants an M1 Garand.

Period.

The DCM/CMP ones are probably what he is talking about. The Government bought about 4 million or so, in WWII, and then made about 2 million more up to 1957. After the M14 then the M16 was adopted, all the ones that we didn't give away to our allies (and anybody else that professed to hate the commies) were stored in arsenals.

In the 60s, they were released to the Director Of Civilian Marksmanship, for sale to competitive shooters that belonged to DCM clubs and were NRA members...I got mine in the early 80s for $165 delivered, it took over a year to get it, had to get fingerprinted, cleared by the FBI, and a letter from the secretary of my club saying yes I was a competitive shooter (I shot a whole 3 matches that year to qualify, club minimum.) It came through the US Mail, was a arsenal rebuild basic battle Garand. A great shooter that I wish my wife would have buttstroked me with before I sold it in '92 for $475 and knocked sense back into me. WORST decision I made in my life.

The DCM was a US Army division headed by a Colonel, to promote rifle shooting among the civilians, so boots would know how to shoot already if they joined or got drafted.

Under the Klinton Administration, they "privatized" it..(Funny how Democrats hate that word for everything ELSE...) and it became the Civilian Marksmanship Program, run out of Camp Perry Ohio. You can access their website, I think its www.CMP.com.

I think the requirements are loosened, BUT they are much more expensive...go figure...

And I NEED to get another one before they are all gone and ALL of them are $1000+.....

Incidentally, if you ever saw the Marine Team at Camp Perry run the "Rattle Battle" with Garands, you gain a healthy respect both for the rifle AND the Marine rifleman. (20-24 rounds in 30 seconds, 300 yds, on a silhouette target, with a rifle that has to be reloaded after every 8 rounds!!!)(YES thats 3 reloads...most I did when our club practiced it was with two and a couple extra shots, at 100, with misses!)

Trust me, he wants a GARAND...

You can find them at shows for about $350-400, but those are imports usually, pretty shot out...the $500 CMP ones are probably best quality for the money...they will be arsenal rebuilt, non-matching, but pretty much exactly how they were issued over the years...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 11/27/01 11:04:00 pm

warpig883
    (11/27/01 10:46:53 pm)
    Get the Garand I actually slept with mine the first night I had it.
    Why look'st thou so? With my cross bow I shot the Albatross.

polishshooter
    (11/27/01 11:09:02 pm)
    If I ever get another one I will probably sleep with it too...

Gosh I liked that rifle, WHY in hell did I SELL it?

Oh yeah, bought tires for the stock car...CRAP, kinda like buying cigarettes and beer with credit card, and still paying for them 20 years later!
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

AGunguy
    (11/28/01 4:45:09 am)
    Never sleep with a Garand with the bolt open, haven't you heard of the Garand thumb...well, you don't want to start having a new name for it...do you?

GG

warpig883
    (11/28/01 5:58:03 am)
    That is not even funny to think about. OUCH

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/28/01 4:00:52 pm)
    Awesome...

Thanks guys... you're great!!

polishshooter - ya make me laugh... yeah he's a "gyrene" (LOL) Actually, most people suggested the Garand when I told them that. Also, I've never seen the Marine Team at Camp Perry, but I've seen him at the range. He's amazing. He's a PMI (Primary Marksmanship Instructor) with the Corps, amongst other things, and is an expert with a rifle... it was very cool to hear other Marines talk about him and then to actually see it!! So, I kind of know what you mean... I have a great respect for them and I would love to see the "Rattle Battle" that must be something!

Anyways... I'm gonna check out the site you suggested... thanks!!

Always Faithful

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/28/01 4:03:56 pm)
    FYI I did a search and the actual site for CMP is

www.odcmp.com/

There is also a waiting list for an M1 Garand for 2 years!

Damn... k - on to the next place!

Always Faithful

Edited by: Winter11 at: 11/28/01 4:07:35 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/28/01 4:15:15 pm)
    neener-neener... Told ya!....BUT NOOOOOO!!

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/28/01 4:19:41 pm)
    Hey, Hey, I'm the type of person who needs to find out the hard way - aaawright!! (jeez)

Always Faithful

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/28/01 4:27:09 pm)
    ...a perfect companion for a jarhead.... Jarheadett

I crack me up......toot!

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/28/01 5:54:14 pm)
    Jarheadett......... You're such a genious.

Always Faithful

warpig883
    (11/28/01 7:51:24 pm)
    That waiting list of two years cannot be for the certified rifle club members who are allowed to buy from them. A friend of mine buys two rifles every year and it is a matter of months after he orders. Of course it might have recently changed.

BlackGun
    (11/29/01 12:43:44 am)

M-1 GARAND. Refurbished by Century Int'l with new reciever.
    Wood is original, but in good shape with all matching colors. Good shooter without the collectors price. $425

gunrackalaska.tripod.com/gunrackalaska

Winter: I have bought from him before and he's a straight up guy!

BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 11/29/01 1:24:01 pm

warpig883
    (11/29/01 6:05:59 am)
    All the reading and research I have seen on these says to STAY AWAY from the new recievers.

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/29/01 12:11:36 pm)
    Thanks for the info... I'll check out his site, and take the advice...

me

Always Faithful

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/29/01 12:34:24 pm)
    FYI Springfield Armory has been advertising that they will release M1 Grands shortly, around 10,000 I believe. If you want this type of rifle....I would place the order now. Regards LTS