Hey LTS....6.55 stuff

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

WyomingSwede
    (8/11/01 8:14:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hey LTS....6.55 stuff
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Figured we probably ought to move this post. I like the swede cartridge obviously and long barrels. As I said before, you can add almost 250 fps with the 29.5" barrel...recrowning will help also. You can also move up the scale by carefully watching for pressure signs and reloading accordingly. I remember a G&A a few months ago where it took 10 gr over max to blow the action. I have a friend in sweden who tells me that their stuff is routinely 2-3 gr hotter than the ammo you buy over here. That being said....this cartridge is not a 300 win mag...and 800-1200 yards is a far piece. Paper punching yes...hunting I would have reservations....unless you like doing prairie dogs from way...way out there.
    Another very valid option is the 6.5-06. I am building one now...one pass through the reloading die...you can use either 30-06 or .270 brass. It is kissing cousin to the .264 winchester. Flat shooting and hits with a wallop. I tried one a year and a half ago and was hooked. Still .264 caliber...bullet ranges from 85 to 160 gr. Dont get all the barrel erosion now that you used to with the .264 win.
    Kdub is my man on the 6.5-06. He has one, shoots it well, and has probably forgotten more than I know about it.6.5-06 would be great on antelope and could still use for elk. You get all the benefits of the 6.5 ballistics also.
    Problem is that I dont think the 96 action will take it on a regular basis....probably have to plan on a 98 mauser action and build around that. I went that route. Hopefully Kdub will chime in here and expound on one of his favorite cartridges. Let us know what you think. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/11/01 11:36:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey LTS....6.55 stuff
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Swede, my real intent is to just have a plinker for paper. Long gone are my days of Colorado sheep, had a .264 Winchester Mag. in a ruger #1 with a 26" H barrel.....it would reach out and touch them. I hunt deer type game very little anymore though and hogs have become my passion now, so the 6.5 would be just for shooting pleasure only, just as my super tricked out 10/22`s that I am now working out to 150 yards. I have one place in the country that has the open distance and is about 60 feet wide and almost 2,000 yards long, lined with trees on both sides for a natural wind break. That is my goal, to stretch the round to its max., using the heavist bullets. LTS
    "am not" R2

kdubaz
    (8/11/01 3:27:57 pm)
    Your long barreled 6.5x55 Swede will do exactly what you want to do at 800-1000 yds for paper punching, LTS - the rate of twist in the '94's and '96's were to stabilize the old, long l56 gr roundnose military round. The later '38's had a twist rate for the 140 grainers.

Anything from 140 gr on up to the 160's will give you the BC and SD you will want for the long range shooting. As you know, the 6.5 Swede is known for it's accuracy. Get a slow burning powder such as H4831, Alliant R-19 or such and use the standard grade primer. The case can be stuffed full and still be OK.

My present modified '38 has a 23" bbl with a QUE barrel tuner on the muzzle. This allows tweaking the harmonics for specific bullet/powder combinations. The present loading is a 120 Nosler Bal Tip over 47.7 gr IMR 4831 and a Fed 215M primer. Groups are less than MOA - still out to 300 yds, which is as far as I can set a target up.

You should be able to glass bed the action in the military stock - how much the hand guards and barrel bands will affect accuracy is something I can't tell you. Might take those items off and just shoot with the lower stock only. For those distances, are you installing a scope? The '38's have great micro adjustable open sights, but I never used them, other than 100 yd paper punching to see if the particular rifle was a shooter , or not. I don't think you'll need to mess with bolt face polishing and receiver squaring, unless you just want to. The muzzle normally has about .475" of metal ahead of the front sight, so there's plenty of metal to recrown. Most of the actions I've tried have a pretty slick operation, so don't think you'll even need to lap the bolt lugs. I do polish the feed ramps of the chambers, however. If the bore is in good shape (sharp lands) but is a little pitted in the grooves, the NECO fire lapping kit will help smooth and polish the bore whereas cleaning won't be such a chore. Just use the finer grits rather than the most coarse, otherwise, barrel errosion will be enhanced.

Bold Trigger, provided by Boyd's Inc., 25376 403rd Ave., Mitchell, SD 57301 (605) 996-50ll makes one of the finest adjustable replacement triggers for the Swedes that I've found so far. Relatively inexpensive, also.

Good shooting and enjoy!!!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/11/01 3:47:17 pm)
    Thanks Kdub, the project begins......
    "am not" R2

WyomingSwede
    (8/12/01 8:37:49 am)
    Told ya so...Kdubs the man with the info....I am still building my 6.5-06. Just run inti financial considerations like school clothes and such. I will get it done though....wouldnt wait too long before picking up a swede though....prices have climbed since I bought my last one. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

JohnRTal
    (12/23/01 12:45:29 pm)
    The 6.5/06 is a great cartridge-I have had one since the mid-60's and its still going strong. Built on a Springfield '03 action,Douglas XX 24" bbl., Sierra 100HP with H4831 to 3400 FPS thru my chronograph. But, if I may make a suggestion, take a look at the 6.5x55 BJ Ackley Improved. Bob Jourden,Precision Shooting staff writer, wrote two good articles on this particularly fine cartridge. With the new powders available today you can just about equal/exceed the 6.5/06 and do it in a 98 Mauser action. The 6.5/06 really needs a long action to the bullets can be seated out properly. I am currently building a 6.5x08 Ackley and the 6.5x55 Ackley is next on the list. Wonderful caliber and beter than great cartridges no matter which you decide to choose. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway. Keep smokin'.

kdub01
    (12/23/01 6:02:20 pm)
    Yup, JRT -

The 6.5mm is truely one of the better balanced bullets!

Still working up loads for my newly rebarreled 6.5x.257 Robt's Ack Imp., customized Swede '38. Long story short, the gunsmith put a .257 bore barrel on the action a couple years ago and I didn't discover it until a few months ago. He had to build a new barrel of the proper contours and flutes to replace it at his expense. Luckily, the ol' Swede Husquarvana action (1941 mfg) was strong enough to withstand the swaging down of the bullets without damage to the action.

Hey Swede - FYI, using 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, 61.0 gr RL-25 and Fed 215M primers, am averaging 3375 fps out of the 6.5-06 with the 26" Shilen SS barrel, on the Brazilian Mod 1908 action. Hanging around MOA groups.

velvetnsteel
    (1/31/02 11:10:09 am)
    Hi everybody. I just found this place and it looks like a winner! I really like the 6.5 X 55 Swede, having used one for a long time for whitetail deer. I have a 96, a 96/38, and a 38 all in mil spec and 2 model 96's converted to sporters. I would be willing to share pics with anyone interested. Just let me know your e-mails. I also have just started thinking about ways to get a bit more performance from the cartridge WITHOUT going away from the Swede action. I have looked at the 6.5-284 a bit, and need a lot more info. I also like the things I read about the 6.5 X 55 Improved. But I need a lot more info, like is the Swede action a strong enough base to build these on? Sounds like some of you guys have been pushing the limits on these, especially running a .264 down a .257 tube!! Can some of you advise me? Thanks.

cointoss 2
    (1/31/02 1:31:39 pm)
    Welcome Velvetnsteel, You will find a good source of information with the folks here and have a round on me down at the Pumphouse as well! I also have a 96/38 Swede.
    cointoss2

tuckerd1
    (1/31/02 2:22:17 pm)
    Welcome Velvetnsteel!! Glad to have you here. Stick around and join in. Send your pics to signacad@phenixcable.net and I will post them here for all to see.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

velvetnsteel
    (1/31/02 3:43:17 pm)
    Thanks for the welcome guys! I sent along a pic of my wife's 6.5 X 55 sporter. She loves the caliber also, as well as the easy handling and light recoil. I load a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over 47.5 grains of RL-19. She has bagged 4 whitetails in 5 seasons with most taking but one shot.

Shootnfan
    (2/8/02 3:57:21 pm)
    Hey guys! Had a question. I have one of the Swedish Mausers that Kimber sporterized a few years ago that I picked up real cheap. I have ditched the cheap plastic stock and I am working on finding a good piece of wood to put it in. Also, someone mentioned the Boyd trigger....is that something I could do myself or is that better left to a gunsmith? Thanks!

HondoJohn6508
    (2/8/02 5:09:24 pm)
    You should be able to do the trigger yourself, I found the instructions to be quite adequate. For a good stock you might try Richards Microfit, I have been well pleased with the wood I have purchased from them. Keep us informed as to how the project is going!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/8/02 10:47:52 pm)
    Anyone questioning the strength of a 'Swede action - let me remind them of the recent diatribes published here of my 6.5 Husquarvarna Model 38 that was made in 1941 and that I had customized by a local gunsmith in caliber 6.5mmx.257 Ackley Improved - only a .257 bore barrel was installed instead of the expected .264 barrel. Shot the thing for over 2 years, swaging .264's down to .257's 'til one day I miked the barrel slugs - then almost had heart failure! The smith corrected his mistake with a new barrel of correct diameter and I'm now getting MOA accuracy with acceptable velocity. There was absolutely no damage to the action due to the misque. (Thank the Lord for long throated military chambers!)

Don't let ANYONE tell you the 'Swede actions aren't tough!!

velvetnsteel
    (2/9/02 6:37:00 pm)
    Swede actions ARE tough.....and one of the smoothest, with the best metalwork of the mausers. In my opinion, of course.

Mauser45
    (10/13/02 2:05:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hey LTS....6.55 stuff
    Just joined this board the other day. Was reading some of your conversations from the past, playing catch-up! Was real interested in the problem that Kdub01 had with his Swede and the undersize barrel. Sorry to bring up a bad memory Kdub01! It reminded me of a story in the American Rifleman a looong time ago. Some Guy had a 6.5 Jap and decided to convert it to a 30/06. NOT knowing what he was doing, he simply rechambered it to 06'. He shot it for several years and bagged several deer with it, then took it to a gunsmith to find out why it kicked so hard!! I believe that the rifle was sent to the NRA Museum. Gives me shivers up and down my back thinking about that story!

procrastinator43
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/13/02 4:57:48 pm)
    Welcome VNS!
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

WVaglassman
    (10/13/02 11:13:43 pm)
    Hey Shootnfan,do you want to sell your stock?I need a sny. stock.Jim
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI