Hey Pops or any cannon buffs...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlueTic, Jun 16, 2004.

1. BlueTic

BlueTic New Member

I'm about half through with another cannon. This one is made for 1" ball bearings (I'll post some pics when I get them). 16" long schedule 160 pipe - aprx 15 lbs without a carrage. Lathe work done, but need to polish and build a carrage. This one looks like a ships cannon, so I'm trying to figure what it would be called - I know nothing about ship cannon terms. I've heard cannons called 8 pounders and such - is this the weight of the ball??? I'm trying to finish this by the 4th, but don't know if I'll have time :eek:
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Post us a couple pictures, BT.

Sounds like a good project.
  3. interstatepawnllc

interstatepawnllc New Member

Here is my baby. She is 20" long with a 20MM bore. Weighs 25 lbs and likes 250-300 grain loads of 2FG blackpowder.

Attached Files:

4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

So, yall are making these? About how much would it cost if you made it for somebody else? My Uncle-inlaw is wanting one that is sized for golf balls. Would yall be willing to do something like this or know somebody who will?
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Isn't this the same as making a firearm, in the legal sense? And isn't it illegal to make anything that fires projectiles larger than 1/2" diameter?

Now I'm not trying to lecture anyone, but I'd appreciate it if someone helped me understand this...

Section 923(a) states:

Also, from the BATF FAQ page:

Therefore, by definition, your cannons are "destructive devices" per the BATF, and fall under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

Again, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. I just don't want to see anyone go to prison for a violation they didn't know they were committing. Of course, if I'm wrong about this I would appreciate someone explaining it to me. :)
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I actually don't know much about cannon, but, yes, the term x-pound does refer to the weight of the ball. A connon is smooth bore and a rifled cannon is refered to as a ( :) ) rifle.

I think the BATFE rules hinge on two subjects: whether a recreational "cannon" is a weapon and whether black-powder devices fall under the rules. Things are a little murky there, as I don't know of any cases of home-made black powder devices the BATFE let go to trial. They have a habit of intimidating and confiscating without charging. As a prominent Democrat first called them, they try very hard to live up to their image of JackBooted Thugs. Being in Treasury, they take their example from that other officially sanctioned terrorist organization, the IRS.

Pops
    P.S. Just in case you might not have noticed, I'm not in a good mood today. :D
  7. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Ah, but the BATF isn't in Treasury any more. Now they're in the Justice Department under John Ashcroft, Jack-Booted Thug extraordinaire....