The Firearms Forum banner

Hey PS! Need some help with the Dead Language...

7K views 78 replies 11 participants last post by  polishshooter 
#1 ·
Clausewitz twice used "ceteris paribus" in about a page and a half in the last chapter....

So at the risk that my "military genius" (I'm in that chapter, as you could guess:) )will somehow be compromised:p what does it mean?

It's NICE to have my own personal Latin tutor actually...where were you when I was taking all those "Pre-Law" courses????:D

And you are right, "High German" translated into "High English" by some Brit Historian takes some time to read AND comprehend...And I thought Thomas Aquinas was rough!:p

I'll probably be at this one book as long as it took me to read all 15 volumes of Morison....:cool: :p

G
#3 ·
Polish, the Rare Bird beat me to it. She is quite correct, "ceteris paribus" translates best as "all other (things) being equal." Ceterus means, literally, the other or the rest. Paribus is the word "par" meaning equal or like, but here it is in the ablative case so it translates best into English as "being equal/"

#5 ·
Hey, you two can talk in Latin and none of us would know what you are saying about us!:p :D

Thanks 'bird, and PS....actually, you can tell which one is the PROFESSOR, Firebird gave me all I WANTED to know, while PS gave me a lot more that I didn't NEED to know....:p :p :D :D :D

Now I just need somebody fluent in Frog, in the next chapter he starts flinging it as well....

coup d'oeil?:confused:

Isn't that what I do every 5000 miles at Jiffy Lube?:cool:

#6 ·
An old mantra from my high school Latin I class.....

"Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be....
First it killed the Romans, and now it's killing me!"*

*with great apologies to dear, departed Miss Frye, who gave me a large benefit of the doubt and (just barely) passed me.

#25 · (Edited)
Hey, I can READ Spanish, sorta, but Latin is still GREEK to me...;)

I was lucky, I became an altar boy AFTER Vatican II, I can barely remember the "Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maximus Culpa" and the beating of the breast stuff....;)

Although our current priest used to teach at the Latin School in Indy, so for Lent we always pull out all the classic Gregorian Chants and responses in Latin, which is kind of neat....

Plus of course I DID sing the Magnificat in my Senior Choir days in High School!:cool:

Does that count?

G
#26 ·
polishshooter said:
Plus of course I DID sing the Magnificat in my Senior Choir days in High School!

Does that count?
Only if you managed to stay on key, Polish. :D

For those non-Catholics who might not know what Polish is talking about, here is the Magnificat in both English and Latin. It is The Prayer of the Virgin Mary The Magnificat - The Canticle [Song] of Mary:

My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm:
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Scripture text: Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magníficat ánima mea Dóminum,
et exsultávit spíritus meus
in Deo salvatóre meo,
quia respéxit humilitátem
ancíllæ suæ.

Ecce enim ex hoc beátam
me dicent omnes generatiónes,
quia fecit mihi magna,
qui potens est,
et sanctum nomen eius,
et misericórdia eius in progénies
et progénies timéntibus eum.
Fecit poténtiam in bráchio suo,
dispérsit supérbos mente cordis sui;
depósuit poténtes de sede
et exaltávit húmiles.
Esuriéntes implévit bonis
et dívites dimísit inánes.
Suscépit Ísrael púerum suum,
recordátus misericórdiæ,
sicut locútus est ad patres nostros,
Ábraham et sémini eius in sæcula.

Glória Patri et Fílio
et Spirítui Sancto.
Sicut erat in princípio,
et nunc et semper,
et in sæcula sæculórum.

Amen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.