Hey Springfield Owners

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Teejay9, May 27, 2010.

1. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I was watching "Cops," as usual. A cop caught a BG hiding behind a fence. There was a report of "man with gun" in the area. The cop, a corporal if they use the army stripe ranking, caught the guy and pulled a Springfield Mil Spec. ! He had the same rose wood grips, probably Colt's, and the stainless barrel and barrel bushing. I didn't know cops carried .45's anymore. I usually see 9 mm Glocks (boring :p, so sorry you Glock guys). It was a real trip to see the cop had my pistol, dressed out the same way I have mine. The stock grips that have the Springfield logo are a bit gaudy, don't you think? Anyway, it's nice to see one in action and carried as a duty side arm. This thread goes nowhere, but you Springfield owners should be proud. We're on the line. :D p.s. IT was cocked and locked.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Yeah there are quite a few police departments that are moving back the way of the 1911 and .45ACP.

The ones in my area usually are packing the Glock 17, Glock 22, or Sig Sauer P226. One of the cops at the festival told me last year that he used to carry a Colt Python .357 Magnum. He carries a 9x19 P226 now. I guess they're allowed to use a 9mm or a .40.

I heard the LAPD still has the Beretta 92FS as their department issue. Heard they also use the Kimber TLE. Also heard some of them carry the S&W 4506. Not really sure.

FBI also uses the Springfield TRP. Not sure if that's for SWAT or just normal agents. Because I thought FBI used Sig Sauers also.

Not sure how many departments still use them, but I've seen quite a few Madison cops carrying the Smith & Wesson 5906.
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I know around here most of them carry a glock or a HK. But I know a few of them are carrying the compacts (ultra carry or EMP's) as backup. Not true full size 1911 but close enough.
  4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

I believe the show, or the incident was in K.C., but forgot if it MO or KS. Anyway it was interesting to me because I like to look at the fire arms being used. The Cops always seems to have Glocks, Sigs, and all the other Little Black Devils, and the bad guys always have cheap Jennings or Phoenix with shiny chrome slides :D. It was nice to see an unmessed with 1911 in action. A rarity and makes an old man proud. ;). TJ
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

My guess after living in that area for 4 years. KCMO, prospect street. Always violence going down. They have a freak'n sign at the entrance to prospect street off the highway, of the number of innocent drive by killings for the year. Probably gone now ACLU ripped it down for sure but I distinctly remember that sign.
    Sorry Thread drift. But I I lived in that area or patroled it, I'd be carrying 2 1911 and a colt anaconda as backup.
  6. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Yow! Inner city, eh? A place I've avoided for decades. Put lot's a space between me and them. Sounds like you did the same. TJ
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I don't know why more police don't move toward the 1911. Many are starting to sway back to the .45ACP. I mean it has superior stopping power to 9x19. I don't know how it compares to .40S&W. Don't get me wrong. The 9x19 is a reasonable defensive round. I'm just saying the .45ACP is better.

I think the 1911 has many advantages over lots of other guns, which was the driving force behind why I wanted a 1911. It has a superior trigger, great durability, it's safe, it's very reliable, and it can be made even more accurate than it is out of the box.

I mean many would also agree with me that the trigger is much easier to control on a 1911 than other auto-loaders. It's single-action so it requires less muscle movement to pull = greater control = better accuracy & the single-action pull can let you get off more shots in less time.

The only real downsides to the 1911 are weight and ammo capacity. Double-stack 1911s do exist. And they're coming out with lighter weight 1911s all the time.
  8. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

That's what's important to me, personally. I don't get to shoot much anymore, but when I do, I want reliability, and that's what the cop wanted, though he did have an 8 round mag. It was reassuring to see the 1911 I'd fretted over buying was being used by the cop. TJ
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

There are lots of 1911s that are 8-round. Traditionally, I thought the Government Model was a 7-rounder. My Springfield Loaded came with 7-round magazines. I had to go out and buy the 8-rounders for it.
  10. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

The originals were 7 rounds, plus one in the chamber for cocked and locked. The 8 round mags are fairly new and there's the extended mags, as well. Since I'm a stickler for the originals, I stick to the 7 round ones. TJ.