Hey Ziggy here's the other .38 S&W

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Gunguy, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Ziggy and I, were discussing .38 S&W caliber revolvers in a private message but one cannot post pix there, so, here we are.

This is a Colt Police Positive, excellent bore, blue finish is turning into patina. Has Railway EXpress on backstrap...probabaly some desk clerks revolver.

Most RWEX delivery drivers carried .45 acp 1917 Colt or S&W revolvers, I know because in my early 20s I was one. Carried in a GI web belt with flap leather revolver holster.

Jim :)

Attached Files:

2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

By golly GG, that is a nice lookin old revolver.
  3. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Well-Known Member

Very nice!
  4. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Wow, you were in your early 20's in 1917? :p
  5. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Actually, it was around 1959 to 60...probably 59...memory is getting bad.

GG
  6. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I was 2 years old in '59........;)
  7. wundudnee

wundudnee New Member

Good looking old revolver Gunguy. Like you, I'm vintage. I was 20 in 1959.

Here is a scan of my old S&W 38S&W cal. topbreak. Whoever owned this one probably played the piano at the pump house.

Attached Files:

8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Hi Wundudnee, you must have got that pearl handle breaktop off some Lousiana pimp at the pump house.

Here's the .38 S&W H&R breaktop I was showing Ziggy in an another thread.

Gunguy

Attached Files:

9. wundudnee

wundudnee New Member

That's another good looking revolver. I always thought that it would be a lifetime project if a person started to collect these old turn of the century handguns.

Again, your H&R looks like new.
  10. sig_230

sig_230 New Member

Here's another fan of the old 38S&Ws. Took them to the range a couple weeks ago. Folk all wanted to know what that brass flinging wheelgun was. Of the two, the PP is my favorite. The Smith is fun but I hate them little grips. The Colt is just so much easier to shoot well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and just to get a feeling for the actual size of the PP...
    [​IMG]
  11. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Great looking hardware, folks.
  12. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Sig230, you Colt PP .38 S&W puts mine to shame as far as appearences go. That is a really slick looking little pony, wish mine had that good a finish.

Love all them S&W revolvers you've got.

Gunguy
  13. sig_230

sig_230 New Member

When I found it, it had been test fired only. The original owner bought it, loaded it once and then it sat in a drawer until he died and his son sold it to me. It had no turn mark and every other cylinder had been fired but it had never even been to the range.

The guy that sold it to me gave me the cartridges that were in it when he took it out of the drawer and I imagine they would still have worked. But I passed on that. ;)
  14. wundudnee

wundudnee New Member

Gunguy, Not trying to hijack the thread but here is another old S&W. This belonged to my grand dad and he kept it in a secretary desk drawer. It is a first model hand ejector 32S&W. The knob on the ejector has been replaced and is not original. This is a poor scan as the nickle is a little better than it shows. When I was 12 years old I shot a sparrow off the top of my dads garage with this dead eye revolver. How that ever happened without shooting a hole in the garage is still a mystery to me. And that's been over 50 years ago. Oh yeah, my folks weren't home at the time.

Attached Files:

15. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Hey, I don't own these threads...you guys bust in anytime...especially when you've got pix.

That ole S&W looks pretty good shape except for the cylinder kind of looks like a German Shepard had it to teethe on. Good story about shooting a bird off the roof...hope you lived in the country...bullets do come down some place.

Gunguy ;)