The Firearms Forum banner

Hey Ziggy here's the other .38 S&W

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Gunguy 
G
#1 ·
Ziggy and I, were discussing .38 S&W caliber revolvers in a private message but one cannot post pix there, so, here we are.

This is a Colt Police Positive, excellent bore, blue finish is turning into patina. Has Railway EXpress on backstrap...probabaly some desk clerks revolver.

Most RWEX delivery drivers carried .45 acp 1917 Colt or S&W revolvers, I know because in my early 20s I was one. Carried in a GI web belt with flap leather revolver holster.

Jim :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow, you were in your early 20's in 1917? :p

#10 ·
Here's another fan of the old 38S&Ws. Took them to the range a couple weeks ago. Folk all wanted to know what that brass flinging wheelgun was. Of the two, the PP is my favorite. The Smith is fun but I hate them little grips. The Colt is just so much easier to shoot well.

and just to get a feeling for the actual size of the PP...

#11 ·
Great looking hardware, folks.

G
#12 ·
Sig230, you Colt PP .38 S&W puts mine to shame as far as appearences go. That is a really slick looking little pony, wish mine had that good a finish.

Love all them S&W revolvers you've got.

Gunguy

#13 ·
When I found it, it had been test fired only. The original owner bought it, loaded it once and then it sat in a drawer until he died and his son sold it to me. It had no turn mark and every other cylinder had been fired but it had never even been to the range.

The guy that sold it to me gave me the cartridges that were in it when he took it out of the drawer and I imagine they would still have worked. But I passed on that. ;)

#14 ·
Gunguy, Not trying to hijack the thread but here is another old S&W. This belonged to my grand dad and he kept it in a secretary desk drawer. It is a first model hand ejector 32S&W. The knob on the ejector has been replaced and is not original. This is a poor scan as the nickle is a little better than it shows. When I was 12 years old I shot a sparrow off the top of my dads garage with this dead eye revolver. How that ever happened without shooting a hole in the garage is still a mystery to me. And that's been over 50 years ago. Oh yeah, my folks weren't home at the time.

Attachments

G
#15 ·
Hey, I don't own these threads...you guys bust in anytime...especially when you've got pix.

That ole S&W looks pretty good shape except for the cylinder kind of looks like a German Shepard had it to teethe on. Good story about shooting a bird off the roof...hope you lived in the country...bullets do come down some place.

Gunguy ;)

#16 ·
Can I play? Top shelf of the S&W cabinet:

1st Row:
S&W .32 Hand Ejector, 4 1/4" barrel, sn 544xx, original box.
S&W .38 DA 3rd Model, 4" barrel, sn293xxx, original box (bottom is lined with a newspaper page from 1934).

2nd Row:
S&W .38 DA Perfected Model, mint/unfired from c.1915
S&W .38 M&P 4" Nickel, sn C687xx, mint/unfired in box

3rd Row:
S&W .32 DA 4th Model, sn 133xxx, scarce 6" barrel
H&R 'Safety Hammer' DA .38 S&W, near-mint

Couple of other shelves in that cabinet.... or we could move to Colt...

:)

Attachments

G
#17 ·
Andrew, that shiney middle breaktop on the left is really remarkable condition, and the round trigger guard seems unusall in that it don't have the square cut-off back.

What model is it? Very nice collection of revolvers.

GG

G
#19 ·
I'm guessing that bottom right one is a British Bulldog, probably an American version with the hammer dehorned...maybe 44 caliber.

PS: I really liked that improved model on the middle left...classey.

GG

#20 ·
Yep, we lived out where the owls did lewd things with the chickens. ;) The cylinder isn't as dog bit as the scan shows it. S&W put more writing and patent dates on it than a new ruger.

Now you'll have to excuse me. After looking at Country Gunsmith's revolvers I'm going to go throw rocks at mine.

Hey, show us your Colts, I really enjoy looking at other peoples gun pictures.

#21 ·
OK, OK, just a few then I've gotta go. Iron Chef is on.

Clockwise from upper left:

Colt 1908 Pocket Hammerless .380 (1923)
Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 (1914) mint/unfired in repro box
Colt Woodsman (1920) factory-threaded for Maxim suppressor

S&W 29-2 .44 Magnum 6 1/2" Nickel, P/R, 3T's, mint with presentation case. (I know its not Colt, but I love 'em.)

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 (1904) - 2nd year gun.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.