Hey?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dou2a, Dec 16, 2011.

1. dou2a

dou2a New Member

Whoever's reading, hey.

So I've just registered a few minutes ago and I've been checking the forums, to see that some people are wondering when to teach their kids how to shoot and all that crap. I appreciate you being so anxious about it.

Unlike you guys, though, my parents are peaceful and against violence. Don't get me wrong I love them and I'm grateful for having them, but the thing is, I've never shot a gun. Maybe haunting shotguns, to shoot birds but that's just about it.
    We've got a 9 Cal Walther's Patent, I've never shot it, and if it weren't for movies, I wouldn't even know how to cock the damn thing.

Moral of the story, would anyone care to teach every single thing anyone can know to an ignorant, yet interested 17 year old?
  2. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

A good start can be going through a hunters safety course they will teach you the basics of safety and firearm handling and most have a shooting test. The instructors there are usually very helpful and can point you in the right direction to get more training. I would check with your local Recreation center they usually have the class or a local sporting good store.
    Once you are a bit more comfortable I would look at getting a .22 of some kind and start shooting and learning more.

Edit: Welcome to the site as well.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome, I just noticed you are from lebanon. I have no idea what your gun laws are like there and if you have access to any safety classes or not, but, you can stick around and ask questions all you like. Just as long as you arent asking for anything illegal, people here will be more than willing to help you learn. What is your first question?
  4. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    First off Welcome to TFF everyone here is allways willing to help
    Ask questions and you'll get answers.
    I Will say
    I Agree with Double Deuce A Hunters Safety Course is the way to go for a bigginer.
    I was lucky my pops took me out shooting & instilled "SAFTEY FIRST" in me at about age 8.
    Ask about safty courses @ your local gun store they can steer you in the right direction.

Capt. Mac
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Dou2a ! With the internet being so readily accessible; I would do some searches for videos of the breakdown and cleaning of your family's Walther. If it has a user manual with it, read it until you fully understand the gun and it's functions.
    Then take a look at either the NRA website or other various sites that cover the basics of gun safety. Learn the 4 rules and practice them always.

Do you know how to properly align the sights? Google - " Sight alignment " and " Sight picture "

Do you have any place to shoot? Here in the states, you've got to be 21 or accompanied by someone who is in order to have a handgun while shooting at a public range. I've got no idea what the laws are like in Lebanon.

We're all gun lovers here and anyone that is willing to ask questions and is eager to learn will have their questions answered to the best of our abilities.

Also like to point out that I'm peaceful natured and very against violent criminal actions; owning guns hasn't increased either of those traits in myself. Maybe your parents have some misunderstanding about guns and a guns ability to be violent. People are violent, not guns.

Feel free to ask some questions and we'll get back to you!

Semper Fidelis,

Woolley
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

welcome.......
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lebanon and TX are pretty far apart.. But youre welcome to come to TX and ill teach you to shoot.
  8. rosierita

rosierita New Member

welcome aboard!
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome dou2a, ok if you are near Beirut , theres a Church called All Saints ( the international anglican church there)
    ph 03 281 388 ask for Nabil Shehadi explain who you are and that "Black Jack the Aussie " sent you too him , and that your looking for Farouq the ex Australian Army Guy, i dont have a number or address for him, sorry he was at the marina but moved when they stopped folks living there, he was talking about heading to Dawha , but thats the last i heard , but Brother Nabil will know where to get him. and when you do tell Farouq to let me know where he's at.

he'll be happy to teach you if your serious , and no you dont have to be a member of that Church , Farouq's a good guy , came here when he was young , did 12 years in the army here then went home when his family needed him.

if you have any questions feel free to send me a private message here

cheers from Australia

PS i just called another mate and he tells me "the magnum club" will teach you if your over 16 , they charge $10 per 50 rounds of ammo and $10 sign up fee to teach you , i dont have a phone number or address yet but as soon as i do i'll post it here , it's late there so maybe tomorrow

cheers
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Jack youre a well connected man..
  11. dou2a

dou2a New Member

Well first of all, thank you, all of you, for being interested in this, although I'd like to point something out, and Jack would most probably know it. Lebanon is by far THE most corrupted country ever. There are no Recreation centers or any of that crap. You don't need a license to buy a gun, a 10 year old could just walk into a gun shop, ask for a modified M4 as long as he has the cash for it, and he's good to go. That's the problem. There's no safety crap or anything like that.

My family got the Walther a looong time ago, so God knows where the manual could be right now, but I sure will look up youtube for the disassembling and reassembling of that gun, also the cleaning methods and I'll go through all the details...

As for you, Jack, I appreciate the effort but I'm not willing to go through all that for some weapon knowledge :p I mean seriously, I'm only 17. I've got my finals coming up, this is my senior year, I've got more stuff to worry about than learning about guns.
    I just thought it would be.. What's the word..? Weird, if I may, for a 17 year old 6 ft tall big ass teenage kid, not to know the slightest things about guns, nor how to shoot a gun.
    So yeah.
  12. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I think I saw that movie! ;)
    Just kidding around Jack!

Welcom dou2a.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

folks be fast

the magnum club

Mar Entanious Street, Hadath
    5 469 369

call em and make a booking , that easier??

cheers
  14. dou2a

dou2a New Member

Jack, I live in Jbeil, which is about an hour away from there
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

simple fact's as dou2a can tell you , in the late 70's families there often sent their kids to other countries to keep em safe , schools where common targets in the war , churches too, Farouq came here to live with cousins who'd been here since the 60's , decided being a panel beater was not for him and joined the army , later when i was traveling i chased him up and met the folks from his Church and helped out a bit there and a few others on the jordanian border area ( very old Christian churches there )

booby traps , mines and such where common there still , ( i hope its getting better ) and so i was teaching others how to deal with such as dou2a stated it is very correupt and unless you have big money , connections etc the military was more syrian controlled than Lebanese, so we set up private groups ... and they took care of things for the people there ..

as you folks know i was traveling for a while and helping different Christian groups round the place , Lebanon just one , but the Church there has a growing Arab membership and i'm glad to hear it , pity the eastern churches are not as secure ..
  16. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i dont know the place but was just told by another guy i know they'll teach anyone , its a business.. and its common to see young kids there learning

but thats the end of my contacts all the rest are north of beirut or in the zone to the east and i would not send anyone there . hadath is nice ( when i was there)

Jbeil thats a real historic place , Phonecian i think .. John the baptist Church is there ( i was playing tourist and stopped there once , wish i had of seen more but you know what them buses are like , they'll go without you if you stay too long)

Jbeil is also known as Byblos where the greeks first translated the early Bible and why i went there, part of my education .. wish i had more time but , had to head to jordan and the border area's , more importnat things about than my interest in the early Bible sadly ..
  17. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, jack has made you a great offer and has made it easy for you if you are really interested.
  18. dou2a

dou2a New Member

Hahaha you got every single clue right Jack.
    Double D, I wouldn't think that's a good idea for me, seriously, someone who lives in Jbeil and goes to downtown Beirut where all the bad stuff happens, drugs, mugging and such, isn't such a good idea just to learn about guns, I mean seriously I don't wanna get that much information and turn into a pro..
  19. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Sorry I guess hunter safety wouldnt work there, I was thinking you were in a town called Lebanon in the states there are several.
  20. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

dou2a cheers , i'm hoping to get back that way and spend time there instead of playing the games i was last time , go to more restaruants , meet more of the people and attend some of the scholarly places .. and understand your reluctance to travel to beirut too , just the harrassment alone is a put off , but i was "packing" when there and with some serious folks , ( the folks here would never understand the BS you folks go through just to get about in many area's there , its not ignorance , just they've never seen that level of restriction ..)

but next time i'll just play tourist and even try some fishing

( Farouq's family have fishing boats )

no need to be pro ... just good enough to know what your doing and be able to defend yourself if needed is enough

your family Maronite ? they have do have a thing about offensive weapons , in my mind not everthing is offensive , the walther would be defensive in my mind .. but each to their own idea''s

and shooting is a great sport !!!, you may only ever shoot at ranges , thats ok , i hope thats all you ever need to do ever .. ;)

cheers mate and good luck what ever you do ( and with your studies eh! )