Hi! 1st timer - what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sn9550, Feb 3, 2008.

1. sn9550

sn9550 New Member

I have a little S&W 22 short SA that was passed down to me. I was wondering if anyone had any info on it and maybe the value.
    [​IMG]
    I also received an H&R top break 32. Any ifno on this one would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks
    Eric
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the S&W appears to be a First Model Second Issue. according to 'flayderman's guide to american antigue firearms" manufactured 1860 to 1868, but i am not a S&W expert. flayderman does give some serial number information so posting that might help.

the H&R is the hammerless model manufactured between 1899 and 1941. to determine exactly which model it is i will need to know the exact markings on the top of the barrel and the left side of the barrel. serial number would be helpful here also.

serial number on the h&R is found on the bottom of the butt or onthe left side of the grip frame under the grips. also found on the bottom of the top strap (remove cylincer to see) and the last three digits of the serial number will be on the rear of the cylinder and the cylinder star.
    bill
  3. sn9550

sn9550 New Member

Thanks b.goforth!
    The S&W is #73852. It has some 1859 and 1860 patent dates on the cylinder as well as C33 stamped on the cylinder and back strap of the barrel. I also have a box of ammo:
    [​IMG]
    The H&R is #181558. The left side of the barrel is stamped 32 S&W CTGE. The top is stamped Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcester, Massachusetts U.S.A.
    Thanks
    Eric
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am not a cartridge collector but i don't think the cartridges are as old as the S&W. according to flayderman's guide to american antique firearms the serial number s for the S&W first model second issue started about 11672 and went up to 128000. your serial number would put production most likely in the 1865 to 1868 era just missing the civil war era. flayderman values this model at very good=$150 to exc.=$385. which i feel is a little low. this S&W was designed for black powder cartridge pressures and should not be fired with modern 22 shot ammo.

the H&R hammerless is a Second Model Fifth variation manufactured between 1916 and 1924. the highest serial numnber i have recorded for the large frame hammerless in 187877 and i am of the belief that not many were manufactured after this variation (1924) although they were still listed in the catalog in 1941. the caliber for the large frame 6 shot 32 is 32 S&W Long. as long as this revolver is in shooting condition it should not have any problems firing todays modern ammo in 32 S&W Long.

value of this revolver is as a shooter ad would be $40 for an inoperatable one up about $200 for a 85 to 90% condition.
    bill
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree about the ammo. They are "Kleanbore", which is non-corrosive. That's post 1900. Gun is late 1860s. If you want to shoot the gun, 22 short CB caps should be safe. They are just primer fired - no powder in the shell. CCI makes them http://www.grafs.com/product/162389
  6. sn9550

sn9550 New Member

Thanks all for the information!
    Eric