hi cap auto home gun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by b79holmes, Oct 6, 2009.

1. b79holmes

b79holmes New Member

One of my recent range sessions made me realize how extremely slow I am at reloading a revolver (642CT). Love the gun but for home defense it has me thinking about something hi capacity.

I am in a hi-cap ban state.

On a regional forum a Glock 22 (.40cal) and or it's 10mm sibiling or Sigs were suggested as they have the best availability of hi cap magazines. I also saw an ad for a Beretta 92FS with hi caps. I don't know much about the Sig models.

I know Glocks are striker fired, well similar functionality to my M&P and I think the 92FS is a traditional double action.

Any comments or pros and cons of these firearms?

Thanks,
    Bill
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i think all of them are good guns. just depends on which one strikes your fancy. my personal preferance would be a 45 caliber then a 40 if i couldnt get that. i have a smith 4006. it's a 40 caliber stainless steel pistol. 11 round magazine.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

you expect to need more than 6 rounds or 5 if you're using a small 38 ? if you really feel under gunned and a hi-cap isn't the answer perhaps your in a real real bad area and only a rifle or shotgun would help. hi-caps aren't the answer shot placement is. way to many use the spray and pray tactic. with practice and a good speed loader you should be able to handle any threat you're face with using a revolver
  4. guns4life

guns4life New Member

Both the pistols u mentioned the 10mm and the 357 sig are going to penetrate walls so i hope no one else lives with u .Any way a shotgun with a short barrel and #4 shot are a great home defense weapon and should be all u would ever need my 2cents worth. guns4life
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

When I go to gun shops, they try to sell me 'home defense guns', and say 'ladies like _____ model for home defense'. I always tell them the 12 gauge is for home defense.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree here. It's not a bad idea to have a handgun ready, too, but your primary should probably be a shotgun.

As far as those handguns, though, Sigs and Berettas are great, Glocks are good (if you're into that kind of thing :p). Any that you listed will do just fine.

You mentioned having an M&P already? If that's an auto, you ought to be able to find magazines that hold 10+ for that (depending on caliber). I don't know if S&W uses the "M&P" designation on some revolvers, too.

Anyway, if you have the money to lay down on whatever handgun you want (that you won't need to conceal), I'd recommend you look strongly at the SIG P220 (.45 ACP) or P226 (9mm/.40 S&W/.357 SIG).
  7. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

+1

Shotgun Primary
    Handgun Secondary (and of the above or at least for me a 1911 - more precise for hostage situations)
  8. b79holmes

b79holmes New Member

I have no idea what to expect. I'm just looking for info on these 3 firearms.
    I think I shoot fine, but my slower reloading got me thinking.
    I am not asking for a revolver vs. auto debate.

I am in a state with a 10 round mag limit and gun safe storage requirements and I have an 8 year old. I can't use higher caps in the M&P (obviously no pre-bans) and don't think any of those special long gun locking systems are legal.

I lean towards SIG & Beretta. Thanks for the SIG model suggestions.

Bill
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

wasn't a debate on revolver vs. auto. your issue was reloading slowly, my point was there are ways of improving your reloading times and that a revolver will do everything you need a home defence gun to do. and that if it wasn't to your liking a shotgun might be a better choice. it's all about shot placement not how many rounds you can launch down-range. most that use a hi cap auto fail to take the time to practice practice practice use the spray and pray methode in hopes a high volume of lead wins the battle. as for the guns you've listed everyone will have their opinion on which is best. but it's like asking which is the best car to own. it all depends on your needs. you've listed a few top flight guns, they all will do the job if you do yours and take the time to practice with it and learns it's quirks. go to a range and and rent one of each and make up your own mind thats the best approch
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

b79
    higher capacity is a good idea. shot placement is the most important, then comes follow up shots if needed for the same perp, or others. i

you said you have a 642, i have one. i carry it daily, mostly because it is so light. i have a speed loader for it, which helps with reloading quickly. have you ever tried one?
  11. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

Sig Blackwater Tactical (9mm) comes with 4 20 round mags. Springfield XDM-9 also has 20 round capacity. Currently rely on 15 rounds of 40 S&W from my Glock 22
  12. Lost One

Lost One New Member

Bill please explain to me what you are getting at here, at first you say you want something with high cap mags but say you are in a high cap ban state. I'm not in a state like that so I dont understand what you are meaning, are you saying that if they are guns that where in the state before the law then you can have the high cap mags?
  13. Johnny Knoxville

Johnny Knoxville New Member

Since you are a J Frame fan maybe primary and backup. Belt and suspenders. The "New York" reload. ;)

[​IMG]

To share in your search for a hi-cap/moderate cap semi-auto, I have been also looking.

I have the shotgun and rifle bases covered so I am going to leave that for you to decide. Also have all the subcompacts I need.

Iv'e tried everything from Beretta to Walther.
    1911s are not for me although I may indulge some day.

Try and handle as many SA pistols as you can and find one that feels good.
    Of all I tried the S&W M&P were a good fit for me, particularly the mid size .45. Better yet (for me) ergonomically is the Walther P99 either full size or compact. I also like Walther's approach to action. SA or QA choice. You can read about it if you like the feel. Also dehorned out of the box and with ambi mag release, rail if so inclined for accessories.

"but where the P99 shines for many is not in it's design as related to function (though the trigger is damn nifty), it's in the ergonomic and visual elements of the gun. The grip design alone is a marvel, and after you hold this gun, it should come as no surprise that Walther contracted Morini, the maker of some of the best target and competition grips that can be made (which, of course means that they find themselves in the hands of some of the best shooters in the world)."

I think I am going to do the .40. Don't have to argue any more with the "less than 4 crowd", :rolleyes: decent capacity, 9+ in most manufacturer's format. The standard size P99 is 13.
    Cheaper than .45 to shoot, more than 9mm. Plenty of quantity and grain size available.

Just my search experience. FWIW.

[​IMG]

A good review.

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/9149-walther-p99-review.html
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  14. Johnny Knoxville

Johnny Knoxville New Member

Mommas too old and the wife gave up sewing.

Commercially available product.

http://www.smartcarry.com/
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009