Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by upsguy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I've been lurking here on this site for a few days now and wanted to let everyone know I think this is a FANTASTIC site! I belong to many different types of forums and since I want to start reloading, found this one and really enjoy reading the posts here. I really like the fact that you guys help one another and I've learned alot these past few days.

I've never reloaded before and read all the sticky posts before I started to do my "homework". That said, I already know that I've decided to get a Lee turret press for my first press. I'd really like a Dillon, but I want to do this the right way, slowly. (gotta walk before you can run) thinking here... I'm gonna be loading strictly pistol calibers for now, .38/.357 mag, .45acp and .45colt. Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you guys!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF and look fwd to getting you started reloading. It's not difficult, just alot of detail. Do you have anyone that you know that reloads? I'd say that if you want a Dillon, then get the Dillon. No sense in buying something that you don't want; unless it's a need. You can do slowly on any press.

Kudos for taking the time to read the stickys, that should help you pinpoint some things for starting out.

Enjoy and I'll cya around !
  3. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

UPS guy,

Welcome to the forum and to reloading. You have come to the right place. I started reloading just over a year ago and have learned a lot from this forum. The first thing I would do is get yourself some good reloading manuals and read them and then read them again. I started with one called the ABC's of reloading, I would recommend it to anyone starting out. Good luck and have fun.
  4. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I forgot to add, I have the ABC's of reloading, Speer reloading manual, Hornady reloading manual all on their way. I was also thinking of getting the Lee reloading book (comes with a free single stage press) from Factory sales as well.
  5. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I do know a guy on my route that gave me alot of info and reloads. Also, I belong to a private pistol club and they offer a NRA reloading class that I will probably take as well.

As far as the Dillon, Im gonna start with the turret first then maybe get a Dillon in the future. You can't have too many presses, can ya?:D
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nope; can't have too many as far as I'm concerned. If you go with a Lee Turret, get the Classic cast. You can find them for under $100 and they're fairly stout machines.

You'll learn alot from the reloading class; take alot of notes!
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

welcome to the forum from a beginning reloader. i have a single stage c press i got used for 30 bucks. i got everything i need including a lyman manual for less then 200 bucks. mostly used.
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

upsguy,
    Welcome to the addiction. If you take to this, it won't be long and you'll be saying "Hi, I'm upsguy and I'm an addict". You have been thinking this through smartly and on the right track. Your press of choice is a good one as are many others. Some may say go progressive but I say start with what you'll be most comfortable with. If your tools confuse you, it will just lead to mistakes and possible injury.
    There are great people here that will help with questions. Never hesitate to ask. Start slow, triple check everything and be safe.
  10. upsguy

upsguy New Member

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I'm sure it won't be long before im an addict either... I was talking to a co-worker yesterday, (btw, im not doing my regular job driving, seperated my shoulder, slipped on ice. So im working "light duty"... for now) and this co-worker's late husband was a reloader and told me I could check out what he had. The only thing is, he didnt shoot pistols. So I figured maybe theres something I could use. I was planning on buying stuff this weekend, so why not start early?
  11. howlnmad

Take your co-worker up on this offer! Used equipment is no problem. If she wants to get rid of all of it, take it. Even if you don't have need for some of it, you can always trade, sell or just donate to someone that does and is in need. You'll be surprised at the stuff you'll acquire over years of handloading.
  12. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I even tried to see if she was willing to part with the rifles, quick NO. She even told me she buried her husband with his favorite rifle. Thats the first time Ive ever heard of that...
  13. howlnmad

Wow, that's taking "from my cold, dead hands " to the extreme.
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

With todays technology and equipment, you would laugh at me if you saw me getting started in early '70. I built a big chest out of red oak that came from an old barn and used it as a coffee table,storage locker, and work table. I would sit behind it,in front of the TV watching football,and do everything one stage at a time.
    Looking back,it seems sooo time consuming,but while in the midst of it back then, all I remember is a wonderful time. I would make 5 loads each,starting at the recommended charge, go down a grain or two, go up a grain or two,until I had 20 rounds or so,vise my gun, and come up with an accuracy load for each gun. PITA by todays standards I guess.Imagine just charging them,spooning some powder onto the beam scale,and individually dumping each charge into the casing.....but it was fun,AND I had great groups on my targets. But in my own defense of that era, there was very little room for error,and safety is key. I kept tight records on my loads,which really made a wonderful 'catalog' if you will, for future reference as my equipment progressed with time.
    Welcome to TFF.
    P.S. Did I mention, we are a diverse group here, we have tips on cleaning,cooking,knitting,etc.(sorry,my bad)
  15. upsguy

upsguy New Member

That was cool Ozo, funny as well.

Question: For curiousity's sake. How many rounds of .45acp does one pound of powder make? I just want an idea as to how much quanity of powder, bullets, brass, etc... Im gonna need to get started.