Hi, first topical post

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by coyote-1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. coyote-1

coyote-1 New Member

Hi everyone. I'd like to talk with anyone interested about blowguns, slingshots, and crossbows. A little background: I've always dug weapons tech. How it works, and perhaps making it work better, is my thing.

I recently improved a .40 blowgun by adding laser sighting and improving the mouthpiece. The improvement is simple, a small strip of electrical tape with a 'tab' on the inside of the mouthpiece end of the main tube. It does a number of things:

a) retains the dart in ready position
    b) allows you to carry the blowgun vertcally without the dart sliding out
    c) as a result of (b) allows you to fire downward, as in down a flight of stairs
    d) builds some compression when you do shoot, thus generating greater speed and accuracy

I'm using it with a night vision goggle set that's available for $65 from amazon, or for a few bucks more at your local Toys R Us. The EyeClops night vision is technically a toy I suppose, but it's fully functional! So using the laser, in complete darkness I am hitting bullseyes on my target from 20 feet away.

I also recently acquired a laser/red dot slingshot, and I'm putting laser & red dot on my pistol crossbow. For the slingshot I'm using .58 musket balls that have a pair of purpendicular splits. There's enough speed to make the ball deform to .75" upon impact with wood, and if you don't split the bal it sometimes buries itself in a cedar post from 10 yards. Apparently those balls are 400+ grains, and traveling at 160fps they have significant energy.

The pistol crossbow is old and worn out so I'm gonna get another. I've figured out how to modify it to accept a razor-tipped bolt. And again this device, with the 80lb bow, generates 170 ft/sec speed - enough to do damage.

Looking forward to hearing other cool ideas!
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

My brain froze on this post... It reminded me of hunting squirrels at 12 years old with CO2 airguns... :eek: