The Firearms Forum banner

Hi Folks, Help needed w/ Antique long arms that I know nothing about

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rhmc24 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody. First post here. I was hoping somebody might recognize some of these firearms. I am selling a collection for a gentleman who is in ill health. I have moved most of the post-1877 firearms but have ground to a halt when trying to decide what to do with these. Thanks in advance for the help.

First one is a carbine type:
Engravings say:
"G. Goulclier" on the side of the rifle in front of the cock
and
"W.S. Houton" atop the heavy hex barrel

Probably in the neighborhood of .520 cal

Next is a highly engraved long musket. No visible lettering that I can remember or detect.

Next is a side-by-side

And this one as well:

See less See more
#2 ·
Vague WAGs:
Goulcher just sold locks used by many and W. S. Houton would be maker of first one, but don't find any reference to him.

Long gun with carved stock looks mideastern (Turkish?) and converted from flintlock.

Side by side with missing hammer looks German and maybe last one also.

Was the owner military or a world traveler?

#4 ·
Does the first rifle really have a six sided barrel? I'd love to see that. I bet if you count them there are 8 sides which make it octagon, not hex(agon). hrf pretty much nailed it for that one. It seems I've seen or read that name, Houten, before but I am at a loss as to where. The rifle itself looks to be an amalgamation of a few different styles. Unless you could find information on Houten I don't believe it has a lot of value.

I believe hrf is correct on the second firearm also. The only firearms of that type I have ever seen bring much money were in nearly exquisite condition. I don't believe it has as much value as the first.

Both double guns are either German or Belgian and maybe one of each. Given their condition there isn't a lot of value there either unless you can connect one of the mid-19th century German or Belgian big names with them.

Having said all that, given that we're looking at not very comprehensive pictures, unless information attaching any of them to some person of significance or historical event is forthcoming my opinion is no more than $200-$300 for any one of them.

#7 ·
The first looks a bit odd to me--the barrel looks like it's had about a foot lopped off of it, if not more. Hard to tell from the pics, but I think the forestock was shortened and rounded just before where the second key would have been, which would have pinned the front of the barrel to the stock. The entry thimble for the ramrod also looks wrong--probably what remains of an original thimble. The left/right cheek rests are also a bit rare, although I have them on an old percussion target rifle. The rear sight also looks wrong and I don't see a front sight. Is there a dovetail?

(love the M1 carbines in the background...)

#8 ·
The first looks a bit odd to me--the barrel looks like it's had about a foot lopped off of it, if not more. Hard to tell from the pics, but I think the forestock was shortened and rounded just before where the second key would have been, which would have pinned the front of the barrel to the stock. The entry thimble for the ramrod also looks wrong--probably what remains of an original thimble. The left/right cheek rests are also a bit rare, although I have them on an old percussion target rifle. The rear sight also looks wrong and I don't see a front sight. Is there a dovetail?
There's also an odd silver looking strip (tin?) on right side where stock meets barrel (can see end of it in pic of lock) that's probably some kind of repair.

Gunsmith William Bouton was in Green Bay Wisconsin 1850.

#9 ·
I tend to agree with some above replies & challenge others but need better illustration. Poor pictures make this at best a guessing contest all replies should be considered as such. Post some clear, focused, well lighted detail pictures & get some specific opinions from these knowledgeable respondents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.