Hi, New here. Wanting to buy a gun. Anyone bought/seen/held?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

SLoV
    (2/26/02 4:27:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hi, New here. Wanting to buy a gun. Anyone bought/seen/held?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi everyone!

My uncle and dad are gun collectors and i'm starting to buy some. I target shoot alot and love collection guns and ammunition. My uncle has a huge collection that I drool over including a full-auto AR-15, spas-12, galil .223 folder, m14, HK91 and so many others I'd love to have. His collection has really got me into shooting and collecting! Well my dad has talked me into getting one. I've decided I want an FAL. My dad had an Argentine FAL (pre-ban) back in the day but that's not going to happen for me...
    The gun i'm really really interested in is the DSArms STG58A Authentic Austrian FAL. I really like it, it sounds great and it looks great. But I'd like to get some first hand experiences if anyone has any? I know there medium contour and other FAL's are great and maybe better than Entreprise FAL's.

There are also two types of recievers is one inch and one metric?

Please if you haven't seen it check it out at:
    www.dsarms.com/SA58A_STG5...an_FAL.htm

Help me out!

Thanks,
    Seth

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 4:42:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hi, New here. Wanting to buy a gun. Anyone bought/seen/h
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi SLoV.....welcome to TFF!

The only FAL I've shot is an FN, so I can't help you on those others.....but I sure do admire your taste in hardware. The FAL is one sweet shooting piece.

SLoV
    (2/26/02 5:00:36 pm)
    My dad is pushing me towards the FAL.... I know I won't be dissapointed. He said it was his favorite out of his collection. (which included the Galil and AR-15 my uncle now has)

I just talked to DSArms on the phone. The woman I spoke to seemed like she new what she was talking about.

They are steyr kits with an american reciever, metric. Same finish quality as the rest of thier line. They are as they are in the pictures on the website so they claim also.!

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 5:20:15 pm)
    DSA are cut from the exact original FN/FAL blueprints and with all the upgrades made over time and some new ones. This is a high quality firearm and worth the bucks too. Very accurate and powerful .308. If this is to be a target rifle, upgrade the barrel weight and go with the stainless upgrade $200.00 more. Metric magazines are cheaper, but I would go with the inch pattern. Get ready for a long wait, unless you know a dealer with on hand stock.......yea! I`ll take your order....NOT! "IN STOCK!" Good Luck and WELCOME!!! LTS

SLoV
    (2/26/02 5:30:07 pm)
    why would you rather go with the inch pattern just curious?

both of the recievers are metric pattern, they said one has 2 more small cuts in it. that's only difference

it sounds great!!

i hope my wait isn't too long

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 5:41:23 pm)
    Because the metric can be cut down for inch (barrels) not so the other way. Make sure you are buying a "Complete DSA" rifle. The base gun should be around 800.00 less any factory discounts (DSA) The carbine that we looked at a few months back, upgraded to stainless was 1250.00 with all the bells. Do not get the one that has the sling/bipod mount on the barrel or the carry handle. This will defeat any accuracy. Regards LTS

SLoV
    (2/26/02 6:03:25 pm)
    Why does the sling/bipod mount/carry handle ruin the accuracy?

I want the Austrain FAL one that they have, I posted the URL you should check it out.

I really dont like any of their other ones.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/26/02 6:13:18 pm)
    Well if you want the closest style to the original, I guess go for it. If you want accuracy, don`t. The new upgrades made to this rifle over time, addressed what you no longer see. The carry handle weakens the receiver and cause`s stress cracks and stress`s the receiver frame and rails. The sling/bipod mount, stress`s the barrel in standard weight, causing a wondering MOA and eventually a permanent warp...if fired a lot. These are the reasons for the upgrades. JMHO. LTS