Hi New to Firearms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by drumfreak1987, Dec 5, 2011.

1. drumfreak1987

drumfreak1987 New Member

new member here,

thought this would be the ideal place to become more knowledgeable!

first off, i love military history, and know what i know about firearms from only reading about them (only shot a handful of times).

moving on....my girlfriend's dad is a big time history buff, hunter, and shooter with a solid collection of rifles (his favorite and most numerous), pistols, and shotguns. nobody can think of what to get him for christmas (he's had a hard year and we want to get something special for him). today i found a website selling mosin-nagant 91/30's in working order at great price, including standard combat attachments (bayonet, clip pouches, cleaning tools, sling, etc. all ww2 era), w/ round receiver. all of us (me, my girlfriend, and her brother) are in college and don't make a lot of money for extras. do you guys think an m91/30 would be a gift that conveys our awareness of his fondness of history and weaponry; or since these are surplus rifles in good supply, do they not make good gifts?
  2. Ken W

Ken W New Member

I'd be overjoyed. Assuming he doesn't already have one but then again since every one is a bit different and is another piece of history I don't see why not.
  3. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

First off, welcome!

To answer your question. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guarantee he will like it and appreciate it.

4. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

even if he already has one...Nothing better than having a pair of them
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome aboard! Stick around and enjoy the company and I can assure you you will learn something new everyday, even if its wrong!
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I disagree with the others. Sorry.

Guns are personal. Someone might say, "Hey, Alpo really likes pistols. Let's get him a Glock/Taurus/EAA/CharterArms/etc." I'm sure there are people out there that might want any and all of those I listed. I don't like 'em.

If you wanted to get me a present, it's simple. Just like, if you have no idea for a golfer, he always needs balls, a shooter always needs ammo. You can't go wrong with ammo.

A Mosin is a hundred to a hundred fifty, depending on where you're shopping. All the neat stuff with it, and you're probably looking at 2 and quarter or so?

I guarantee, you drop two hundred bucks worth of ammo under my tree, and the smile would be huge.

And if the guy is a reloader, components would be even better. If you know what he uses. If you were to buy me 200 bucks worth of 45 ACP, that's about ten boxes - 500 rounds. 200 dollars worth of components, however, would easily get me a thousand rounds.

But, you need to know his likes. My Daddy used Topflites. So if I had bought him some MacGregor Golden Bears, he would have thanked me, but they would not have been what he wanted.

By the same token, if you were buying me ammo, do not buy me Remington or Winchester 22s. Do not buy me ammo loaded with black powder. Do not buy me foreign stuff loaded in steel cases, or with corrosive primers. Nothing wrong with any of that, really, but I DON"T LIKE IT.

If you were buying me components, getting me pistol powder, when I only load rifles, or vice versa, or getting me a powder I've never used is kind of a waste. But you get me some Unique or some 3031 or some 296 or some Titegroup, and it would be greatly appreciated.
  7. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Hmmn, fondness of history and weaponry, let me re-think this ...

Answer is still YES!

8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes for me too.
  9. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Welcome to the TFF!
    I think he would appreciate it very much! Go for it!
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'mma yes as well. Got ammo?;)
  11. hardball1962

hardball1962 New Member

+1
  12. geds

geds New Member

You know Alpo has a point, but if you aren't able to get the details of his specific tastes I think your idea would be greatly received. If daughter's boyfriend took the time to try and come up with a personal gift like that, I would be thrilled - even if it wasn't on my wish list of guns! It's not the gift - its the thought and effort you put in to make it special!

Welcome to the forum!
  13. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I have four and also love military history. I would love to get another one for a gift. Each one is unique unto itself. All the markings from up to 100 years of use and proof marks and other marks make them a lot of fun to investigate and try to figure out where they have been in their life. They are cheap to own and shoot. A 440 rd surplus can of ammo is only about $75-$80. I would say he would be tickled to get one from you. As you can probably tell, I love 'em.:D
  14. Trevor1837

Trevor1837 New Member

15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

hi nice to meet you and welcome
  16. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I agree the more the marryer!! i have had over 13 diffrent MN's Still have a Fin and the Rush. Love them And i just saw in the G&A mag a listing for the 91/30 for $79.99 but the ammo is a wood crate for 880 Rds. for $189.99 thats from the Kentucky Gun Co. (I think the ammo is a bit steep!) But it is the Russian ammo.
  17. Juker

Juker New Member

Well darn, Alpo, I've got that brand new Glock all wrapped up and ready to send you for Christmas.

(sigh) Reckon I'll just keep it. ;)
  18. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

Hello and Welcome!
  19. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Welcome to the forum, a gun would be a great gift to me,
  20. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I know I'd love it if my kids put a firearm under the tree for me. :dancingdots: