Hi-Point .380 acp Auto

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Deacon_Man, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I am thinking about buying my wife a Hi-Point .380 for conceal carry. Anyone have any info on the Hi-Point pistols? I know they are cheap to buy. She likes to walk our three Chihuahuas and we have a lot of wild animals out where we live (Bob Cats and Cyotes). I think she needs to carry a pistol when she walks the dogs.
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

My several cents are:

Hi Point does not get much love around here, although it seems to be better thought of Jimenez/Cobray/Lorcin/Jennings/etc.

You have wild animals of coyote size hanging around, and you still need to carry concealed? If it were me, I would want to carry a .223 semi-auto rifle, or something similar. (What do people use on animals too small for a .30-30, but too big for .22 LR?)

Tackling an aggressive coyote with a .380 sounds marginal to me. If for some reason I had to use a pistol, I would want 38 Spl +P in a 4 inch barrel at least, or a 9mm Para.

I live in a built-up urban area, so perhaps my own personal rule about what and when to carry does not apply to you: If you are thinking of doing something, and carrying a pistol for safety seems like a good idea, it is an even better idea to do something else. (Of course, we do not have legal concealed carry here...yet.)

Two more bits - this is all free advice, so take it for what it worth. And, I am getting over a bad cold - if I was not goofy, I would probably not post at all.

Good luck, and stay safe!

(BTW, you would not believe how many wild animals we see these days - not just rabbits, but raccoons, skunks, and possums. When the rabbits had a population boom, grey foxes showed up.)
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Hi-Points will actually work when you need them to! I think the most often quoted remark about Hi-points is something to the effect "Ugly as sin, but get the job done"

I have not shot the 380 HP, but have shot the 9 and found it to be a good shooter. Nothing functionally wrong with Hi-points. I agree previous post, that I'd go with a 9mm or revolver in 357.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

One word that does not jive with hi point- concealed, unless your carrying a backpack
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My thots as well Helix. They are far too big for concealed carry.

I dont have any qualms about the .380 being capable to effectively dispatch a coyote. A well placed 90 gr HP will turn its head into a canoe.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

yeah but it is still smaller than the beloved glock 19 that sooooooooo many boast CCing.
  7. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

I have a Hi-Point 995 TS 9mm Carbine, never had one single problem with it. It's not pretty but it's accurate and has never failed me.
  8. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

if its just for wild animals around the house I think the HP will be fine but i would also carry some pepper spray works just as well on animals as people and if you hit your dogs in the cross fire you can wash it off
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Have you given any thought to a good hard wood hiking staff for her? If a bobcat, or cyote came for one of the dogs, how good a shoot is she? You might find yourself short one dog!
  10. Warith

Warith Member

I love my hi points but concealable they aint.

I have the .380 9mil and .40 S&W they are all large frame for the caliber they shoot so she will not have any problems that way. The .380 and the 9mil use the same frame and clips just change out the barrel so if you think the .380 is not enough go with the 9mil its the exact same gun.

Oh I also have the 995ts as well grat carbine and acruate as all get out.
  11. RJay

RJay Active Member

All too often when a man buys a gun for a lady, it is what he things she should have, not what she thinks is proper. IMO if you buy her a Hi Point it is going to sit in the house and not be carried. Women are funny that way:). We have coyote's out this way and yes sometimes they consider small dogs and cats " fast food " I saw a coyote right after I moved into my house, brazenly just loping down the side walk ( some very stupid people even feed them!!!!). On my walks I carry a Kel-Tec P-32. Loaded with silver tips I'm confident that it will do the job on a overly confident coyote or a neighbors pit bull. I showed my wife a Ruger LCP in 380 and she thought that it was light, easy to Carry and neat. Done deal. She now carriers it on her walks. That's just my opinion, I do know that if I had gotten her something larger it would have just stayed in the house.:)
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  12. group17

group17 New Member

Both the hi point 380 and 9mm are exactly the same size except for the ammo and to large to carry IMO.
    As stated a smaller pistol would be better for your wife. She should also learn to fire single handed if she is walking multiple dogs. Firing a pistol while holding back dogs will not be easy. Good luck.
  13. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

The 32 ACP is not a bad caliber for a lady. Hi-Point has some great sales on the internet now. They even have the .380 too.
  14. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

OK, let me first preface my comments by saying I AM NOT A FAN OF HIPOINT, PERIOD. I have been TOLD that they are reliable. I know for a FACT, however, that they are clumsy, too large for the calibers they are chambered for, and uglier than a USSR female weight lifter. For about the same number of dollars, more or less, a used Bersa .380 should be readily available, and it will be smaller, lighter, easier to carry, easier to conceal, and INFINATELY more graceful and appealing appearance wise to the wife. JUST MY 2 CENTS.
  15. RacingJake

RacingJake New Member

You can always add some paint like my C9 :eek:

[​IMG]

Picked it up a few years ago at a Pawn Shop for 124 bucks and in less than 90 days I shot over 3,000 rounds. Even picked up a 995 carbine with the classic stock last year, I think that's the best model Hi Point makes cause it sure fun to shoot with a promag 15 round mag.

http://youtu.be/9WlzN0c7Y8s
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  16. north tex

north tex Member

Having handled, fired, and done minor repairs to a Hi-Point 380 I find they are reliable and accurate. But I personally would not carry one with a round chambered. I'm not a 100% sure of their drop test standards.
    In her situation the 380 I would prefer is the Bersa. It's got a double action first shot with single action follow-ups. It has a good full hand grip. Also the Kel-tec P3at comes to mind. It is a very small/light DAO, but it has a small grip and perceived recoil can be a problem even in 380. Yeah they are just a little bit more in price, but not that much. If you have a range that does rentals let her try them out.
  17. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Can't believe I'm offering my opinion about stuff, other than I've had a couple glasses of wine. Please forgive me.

I'll start with this. I'm retired police officer, and currently a private investigator. I have to go into the inner city a lot and always carry concealed, sometimes open carry.

Carryng concealed I have a Ruger LCP .380 with an extra clip of hollow points. Or a Glock model 17, also with an extra clip.

However, when considering what you wife is facing, ie coyotes and assorted critters I have to change up. I just looked at a bunch of pictures of a pack of coyotes taking down a full size deer.

Not knowing your wife and her efficiency with weapons, my first thought is to have her puchase a Ruger (or other reliable brand) semi auto .22 pistol and extra clips. Efficient bullet in long rifle hollow point, not to much muzzle blast, or recoil, and with the extra clip(s) enough firepower. Also, the gun is not a lead weight and can easily be carried on her hip, easy to access and easy to shoot and reload. Of course I also recommend a good flashlight, and reliable phone. If she were facing bear or big car, I would go with a larger weapon, but I have seen many adult humans and deer size critters put down with a .22. Plus it will be inexpensive to practice with (plus fun- the wife and I are getting ready for our old christmas tree ball shoot). She won't have to have a huge hunk of iron on her hip, it will go bang a lot, and when she hits a critter, it will know it -til death do us part.

One last note, the .22 semi is easier to point and shoot than a little .380/.32/.25 or what ever.

Makes a great christmas gift.
  18. ronzxcvb

ronzxcvb New Member

I agree with the 22 caliber being the best choice for coyotes the low recoil makes it easier to stay on target she has to hit a small moving target and it’s basically a 35-45 lb dog not a wolf or bear
    I have a 22lb corgi and walk her where I often see coyotes I usually just carry mace but can now in Wisconsin can legally carry a gun if I have to go into the ghetto I’ll take my 45 or 9mm but to walk the dog it’s a 22
    I owned a high point yes it was accurate but it weighted a ton and was about as ugly as a gun can be like others have said it won’t do much good sitting at home
    For not much more you can get a good quality 22 that she will probably like shooting a lot more
  19. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

If she handles the Hi Point well no problem.
    However, I agree that a Bersa Thunder .380 or a good .22 pistol would seem more accurate and easier to carry. Whatever she carries have her carry an extra mag. Also make sure she gets to the range enough to be familiar with how it shoots etc.
  20. pault

pault New Member

I have a Hi-Point 45ACP and it shoots great. The price can't be beat and everyone I know of that has ACTUALLY fired one agrees that it's good bang for the bucks. Yes it is heavy but I didn't buy it for CC. The appearance is not critical to me but when I look at the receipt for $160.00 walk out it starts looking real good.