1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hi-Point C-9 9mm Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rhuga, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

I started a thread on Plastic Guns a few weeks ago and I was asked to supply the name of the Pistols that I was talking about.

The Hi-Point C-9, 9mm is very low in price right now and I am thinking about getting one either in 380 ACP or 9MM. I expect that they are a "Throw Away" gun if they start acting up. But are they safe until then?

For my budget these guns are looking pretty good for self defense. Anyone have any experience with them? Or is there another brand that I should look at in the lower price range?
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Hi Points are inexpensive but not "throwaway" guns. They are as safe as the shooter. The Hi Point pistols most criticized characteristics are weight and cosmetics. These guns are backed by top notch customer service and a great warranty. Perhaps not tack drivers, they hold their own in the accuracy department and are as rugged as tanks. Ease your mind and buy with confidence.
  3. zant

zant Active Member

Heavy and UGLY-but a good friend owns 3 pistols and 2 carbines,we've fired 1000s of rds-they always went bang....and they're inexpensive ...
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

if it's all I had I'd be glad to have it, heck of a lot better than nothing
  5. Boris

Boris Former Guest

My brother has had one since 1993. It hasn't failed him yet. When it does the company has a great reputation of top notch CS.
  6. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Member

I've had a C-9 for a few years. My experience has been:

Good things:
    - Great customer service.
    - It goes "bang" the vast majority of the time.
    - Accuracy is fine. At 25 yards, off-hand, it puts bullets into a 9" paper plate with regularity.
    - The ergonomics are surprisingly good.
    - It's comfortable to shoot.
    - It's a great value for the money.
    - Because it's price is so low, I don't feel compelled to clean or coddle it unless I want to.

Bad things:
    - It's ugly, but not as bad as a Rhino revolver.
    - Gun snobs will look down on you at the range. (But you can get even with them by out-shooting them with your Hi-Point. That really drives them crazy, especially someone with an FN Five-seveN!)
    - It's ammo sensitive. Some brands work great. Some don't work at all. Mine won't cycle Wolf ammo, not even once.
    - The drop-safe weight rattles around inside of the frame. It's just doing its job, but it sounds like something is broken.
    - You have to drive out a pin with a hammer to remove the slide. That's not very convenient.

Just my opinion, but I don't feel comfortable carrying it with a round in the chamber. It's a simple, single action pistol, and the safety only blocks a cross pin that prevents the sear from moving down. Once the pistol is cocked, the only thing keeping that firing pin from flying forward is the sear interference. If there's any wear, tear, or troubles with that precise mechanism, the gun will discharge. I don't like putting that much trust in a $150 pistol. Cocked and locked with a $1000 1911 is one thing. Cocked and locked with a Hi-Point is something else. Other people may have a different opinion.

My recommendation would be to buy the Hi-Point C-9. You will be happy with it. Stick with the 9mm and pass on the .380. Using a gun that big and heavy to shot .380 is just silly (imo)

If you try to go cheaper with a center fire pistol, you are going to get into a class of pistol that's pretty junky. The Hi-Point is as cheap as you can go and still get a decent firearm. (again, just my opinion).

Let us know how it works out.
  7. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

i had a hi point in .40S&W and probably put 2-3000 rounds through it and never had an issue. the only thing that i didnt like about the gun was the limited ammo capacity and that it was a bitch to tear down for cleaning. however if you can read a manual that gives step by step instructions on how to tear it down and follow them to a T then that wont be a problem. mine was always reliable and accurate and i would have trusted my life to it and i would still have it to this day if some chucklehead hadnt offered to trade me a SKS for it lol.

a summary of a hi point is that it is a big, heavy, ugly gun that is of above average accuracy, with 10rds or less ammo capacity, extremely reliable, and extremely cheap. for this reason it is probably the best starter pistol available that is not a revolver.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  8. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Hey Dutchboy You mentioned that this pistol is ammo sensitive. What is the best low cost ammo to run through it? I believe that someone said to stay away from Wolf.
  9. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

mine was never sensitive to different ammo brands and i ran dozens of different brands through it. i ran alot of wolf and tul ammo through mine since it was so cheap and never had a problem. buy the cheap ammo a box at a time. if you get a brand that the gun doesnt like then put it on your chit list and dont buy it again. BVAC (bitterroot valley ammunition) makes decent ammo for cheap from recycled brass for pretty cheap and its reloadable too if you do that or know someone who does. other than that i would suggest PMC, magtech, or UMC for consistent cheap ammo. but like i said MINE was never picky about what it ate.
  10. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Member

Rhuga, I've had no trouble with Remington UMC or Winchester in the white box. I tried one box of Wolf, and the gun would not cycle correctly even once. It kept trying to stuff the rounds back down into the magazine instead of into the chamber. It was the weirdest thing. I also had trouble with a box of some lead-free stuff. It might have been Remington, but I can't remember for sure. Those bullets had flat tips, and they were lighter than normal. That brand was not as bad as the Wolf, but it was bad enough that even on sale, I won't buy any more of it.

But with the UMC or the white box ammo, the pistol runs just fine. I've got no complaints.

Keep in mind that mine is a 9mm, not a .40 S&W.
  11. herohog

herohog New Member

Hi-Point Torture test videos:
    Check out this series of videos where these guys set out to destroy one to show what piles of junk they were and found out that it was almost indestructible!

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test RELOADED
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw

Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

So what happened to that Hi Point?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg

Hi-Point Pistols The Ultimate Test Part 4: Judgement Day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE

PLEASE watch all of them for a real eye opening experience that will astound you and while it probably won't make ya run out and buy one you WILL have to have a much better opinion of the guns if you are honest with yourself to ANY degree.

Here is another of a series I just ran across with a nice real world evaluation of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ch_IQg-io

PS: I have nothing to do with the videos or Hi-Point. I am just a guy who has sold (formal FFL), owned and shot several.
  12. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Well I won't get that time back again. Those guys are crazy and no way any gun could withstand that kind of abuse.......Certainly changed my opinion on the Hi-Point. If I needed a vehicle carry gun that didn't matter if it got confiscated why not?
  13. august1410

august1410 New Member

I had a Hi-Point .45. It was heavy, ugly, and I was laughed at for owning one.

It was accurate, took any ammo I fed it and never had a failure. Went bang every time.

Had Hi-Point customer service do a little warranty work on the trigger since I bought it used. Turn around time was SEVEN days. In the middle of Hurricane Irene here in NC, no less.

Let the snobs say what they will. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
  14. group17

group17 New Member

Getting back into shooting i bought a used C-9 for $100. The original owner also had his friends laugh at him for owning one. Turned into a great gun to learn on.
    I have much better now and my younger brother has inherited the C-9. This gun has had no problems through 3 owners. Best $100 I ever spent for a gun.
  15. august1410

august1410 New Member

Mine was $109 used. NEVER failed. What other .45 ACP can you get like that?