Hi Point Carbines. Any Good?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by dsv424, Aug 2, 2010.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

When I first saw Hi Point guns my first thought was "butt ugly", both the handguns and carbines. Recently I went to their website and saw the 995TS and at a gun show and am now considering purchasing one. The one I saw at the gun show was all decked out(picatinny rail, red dot, laser, forward grip) and kinda took the "ugliness" away. For only $259.00 seems to be a pretty good deal, plus the warranty. Anyone own one of these and have you had any problems with it? I was leaning towards the .40 S&W model, although the website says they will be coming out with a .45 ACP in the fall. Might just wait for that one.
  2. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Dont know anything about them but intrested in the .45 caliber option, it will depend on the magazine capacity as well, I would get a CX-4 from beretta but they only hold 8.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Had the 995 (9mm old ugly one) thing shot like a champ. Never 1 problem. Put a red dot and a laser on it for S&G and it would eat at 2 inch hole with 1 mag at 25 yards. I sold it a few years ago. My BIL has one that is all beat to hell. He bought it for 40 bucks. Runs like a champ too and he never cleans it. IT was basically a C9 with a long barrel in a ugly stock.
  4. lomaxx187

lomaxx187 New Member

I have the 9mm carbine...no problems what so ever. I would also be interested in the .45 version.

Ammo capacity in 9mm is 10rnds

Hope that helps
  5. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Thx for the info so far. BTW, I have the Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm and absolutely love it, I purchased 30 round mags for it which makes it even more fun. Although I go through 9mm like candy!(Thank God I reload). That brings up another question though. Does anyone make 15 to 20 round mags for the Hi Point in 40 S&W?
  6. Smoke

Smoke Member

I have one of the old style butt ugly 9mm carbines, & I love it.
    It is very accurate even out to 100yds.
    ProMags make a 15rd mag for the Hi-Point carbines, but don't waste your money on it.
    They don't work, they jam in every way you can think of.
    And from what I have read they will mess up the gun.
    Mine kept jamming with the regular mags for about 100rds or so but it shoots ok now.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

when i took my concealed carry class last year thee was a man in the class that had his left hand bandaged. during one of the breaks i asked him what happened to his hand. he said that his highpoint carbine had blown up while he was shooting it. if i remember correctly he had an out of battery discharge and the bullet went between the stock and barrel and excited the stock through his hand.

i wouldnt own a highpoint before this mans story.
  8. zb338

zb338 New Member

My kid thought the Hi Point was a joke. A friend loaned
    him one during deer season one year. He took one shot
    at a running deer and dropped it. 9MM no less. Now
    my kid says you could probably kill a deer with almost
    any gun.
    Zeke
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think they are great. I have had a few on my workbench but none for repair, only upgrades. They have glock like reliablility and are more accurate than a pistol while utilizing readily available pistol ammo. Recoil is neglegable and they are easy to use and maintain. I recommend buying one...
  10. johnlives4christ

i want a kel tec sub 2000
  11. The Count

The Count New Member

i have one. a no frills, ingenious firearm. folded it fits into a pizza box. first thing i did was use my dremel to get rid of the useless plastic sights. also, the butt extender is a must have.
  12. group17

group17 New Member

I own a 995TS which has proven to be a great little carbine. Shoot one then tell me you didn't get a smile on your face.
    10 rounds is the only down side.
    How many of these guns do they make and no one has thought to make a decent larger mag?

The Kel tec 2000 is my next carbine since it does take other manufacturers hi-capacity mags
    (Glock, Beretta, SW... Folds down to fit inside my 18 inch sling range bag. .Whats not to like?
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  13. johnlives4christ

kinda hard to hit anything without sights aint it?
  14. group17

group17 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The keltec fits in my pistol range bag like a champ.
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never fired one, for that matter I have never even seen one in person.

I used to subscribe to a magazine called Gun Tests. They would buy guns from dealers and test them against other guns of the same type/caliber. They once gave the High Point carbine a very high grade.
  16. Toney

Toney Member

I had a older 4095, it would keep everything in a 2" dot at 50yds with a cheap BSA red dot.
  17. johnlives4christ

while a hipoint may work reliably for most. i pose to you a question from my vast opinion.

if you were to double the price of a hi point. exactly twice that is, would you still want it? if so, then by all means get one. you get what you pay for. and if you're not willing to pay double what you pay, then leave it alone because it's too cheap.

for example. my glock cost 500 new. is it worth 500, yes, to me. but is it worth 1000, yes it is, to me.

now, if my glock didnt function as well, or was of lesser quality, then it wouldnt be worth what i payed for it, nor would it be worth more.

you have to determine if you're getting a good deal on something that's worth more then what you're paying, or if you're only getting for what you pay for.
  18. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Having a hard time following your logic John. I love all of my guns but no, I wouldn't pay double what I paid for any of them. I don't think it's so much a case of getting more than what you paid for, rather the fact that many items by comparison are overpriced.

From everything I've heard these Hi Point carbines perform very well and the company stands behind their product 100%. I too am interested in the .45 when it's available. Actually they should be available now. Were supposed to be introduced in Aug. It's too bad there aren't reliable hi cap mags out there for them, or at least ones that take 1911 mags.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  19. johnlives4christ

lol, i guess it wasn't the most well thought out post..

guess im trying to show the difference between actual value, and what you pay.
  20. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Yeah, not sure i expressed my thought very well either. For example, I own two 1911's that I paid a little over $500.00 for each. I think they were well worth the price. They aren't perfect and I'm sure they could be tweaked to be a bit more accurate ie. new sites, etc. But I can't imagine paying $2500.00 on a Les Baer custom, even if I had that kind of money. I think that it's a case of paying a whole lot for a relatively small increase in value. Having said that, I believe the Hi Point carbines are well worth the asking price.