hi-point firearms

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hunter29180, Mar 19, 2011.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

any one have or had one of these in .45 apc?

sons looking at one, price is right but reliability and durability is a concern.
  2. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

One of the guy's just had a video about them a couple of days back. The abuse they will take was incredible. Based on that video test reliability & durability looked very very good. But, if my memory serves me right they're kinda heavy? I will look for that test vid and send it to you.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Not once you've handled one. They may not be pretty, but they do their job and they do it reliably. I've shot two of them and not that I particularly cared for them, but work they do!
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

My co-worker has one. In his opinion, it isn't anything special. Just a little inexpensive pistol. That said, it goes bang every time. And you can't beat their lifetime warranty. From what I understand, if it jams or something else isn't working on the gun, you send it in and they fix it for free.

If you're just looking for something for plinking, you can't beat it for the price.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  5. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

hunter, here is a post by triplebike awhile back that has the videos I mentioned. Maybe this will help, good luck

really enjoy reading threads about Hi Point firearms. I think this one brand of firearm has the same affect on guns snobs as Sarah Palin has on liberals. It drives them absolutely crazy. Comments like "I would rather have a sharp stick to protect myself or my family than a Hi Point firearm" (which I have seem many times posted in Hi point threads) is beyond me. Or another common comment is I'd rather have no gun at all than own a Hi Point.

It also seems to be the most bashed firearm from NON OWNERS on the market. They blow up, they melt, slides fly off at a hundred miles an hour, are so inaccurate that they almost shoot sideways. Some of the stories that non owners of this firearm come up with are bizarro to say the least. Makes for good entertainment though.

Just wondering if your brand of firearm can take this;

Part 1... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

Part 2... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB814Tw

Part 3... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

Part 4... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE
  6. ivarr

ivarr New Member

i wouldn't buy one, but that's just a personal opinion
  7. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

thanks AL!! the vidios were unbeliveable!! cant think of any gun that would have survived as well. guess son and I will be getting one apiece! he says he wants the 9mm, i think i will stay with the 45.
  8. stresssolutions

stresssolutions New Member

I hate to see a tool misused and abused in any way, esp to the point of distruction, but this pretty much ensures that I'll be buying one.
  9. aryfrosty

aryfrosty New Member

Without apologies I will say that I would MUCH rather have a rock, stick or anything besides a Hi-Point. I understand that some people like them and I completely support their right to do so. The only part of the situation I disagree with is the notion that people buy them because they can't afford anything else. I am retired and on disability income. My wife is retired and we can't waste money. But I have found many good reliable S&W revolvers and pistols and several Rugers for around $200.00 and if I can then everyone should be able to. I watch for shops which often have police trade-ins and have gotten soem great ones. Recently bought a Beretta 96D Centurion for $300.
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you run out of ammo, it will double as a club.:D Seriously though, I never owned one and most highly likely wont.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I am not a Hi-Point fan and don't own one, but I have fired them and found them very reliable. The ones in 9mm and .45 are chunky due to the slide mass required for the blowback action, but if that is acceptable, they are OK.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read a post from someone who says they are no good and he hates them, then says that he has never owned one, never would own one, and has never even seen one. But he just knows he hates them and they must be no good because he hates them even though he has never owned one.... etc. What blithering nonsense!

Jim
  12. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I am very confortable carrying one in the truck for protection. they shoot well and are reliable, plus if it gets stolen, I am only out $100. The trigger pull is hard but I look at it as a tool not a $500 to $1000 piece of precision equipment.
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not really sure of the logic here. I would gladly own a high point before I had to use a rock or a stick. They do shoot bullets you know. Having a rock or a stick wont help you in a gun fight. I dont like the way they look, and I wouldnt try to win a shooting match with one, but by god I would be most happy to have one in my time of need.
  14. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I have the 9mm carbine have fired the 45 and the 9mm pistols not bad guns at all cant beat the price and lifetime warranty worst problem i have seen with the 9mm pistol is a failure to feed but was fixed with a simple mag replacement
  15. aryfrosty

aryfrosty New Member

Jim; I have not owned one. I have examined several in the confiscated weapons locker at work where my primary job was firearms and EOD education. I don't "hate" them. I guess I could say that I disdain them. There is no reasonable basis for owning or carrying one of them, primarily because the argument that: "That's all some folks can afford" is illogical on its face. I see hundreds of Police trade-ins and used guns, S&Ws, Rugers, HKs, Berettas and occasionally an older Colt in stores for what is often less than you would pay for a new Hi-Point. I don't think of myself as a gun snob...I disdain most HK pistols but my favorite carry gun is an HK P7. I don't judge by brand but rather by the quality, or lack of quality, I find in a particular gun. If a person wants to own a good quality used gun they can avoid going to Hi-Points altogether and choose a gun that fits their budget and which will last for many years without causing alarm if they go to the range and fire it. Truth be told, the materials used to make Hi-Points is less than good for weapons manufacture. Frangible zinc, known as "pot metal" is not a star to hitch your wagon to for a gun. It is more fragile than other metals. It shatters more readily and melts at a rather low temperature. It's called "pot metal" for a good reason. It was once used by travelling tinkers who had a cart or buggy they took with them as they made rounds of the countryside to repair, or "tinker" with cookpots with holes in them, broken watches or clocks, broken bridles or harnesses or what have you. Tinkers could build a small but hot fire and melt the frangible zinc and repair holes in pots with it.
    To illustrate how long I have felt this way I say that the first one I ever saw came from under the seat of a stolen car we recovered in the 80s and it was branded "Stallard Arms".
    I have no difficulty accepting that some shooters are bound to own and shoot them and I support their right to choose what they spend their money on. However, if you and I were walking on a ridge and I saw a rattlesnake I would warn you about it so that you wouldn't step on it and get bitten. Same thing with "Stallard Arms...Hi-Point" guns. My professional opinion is that one stands a greater risk of experiencing a mishap with them as with some others.
    I could well be wrong. I am often wrong. But these thoughts are my opinion.
    Respectfully.

And, "Double D"...I agree that they shoot bullets. However where those bullets go is another question altogether. They are not very accurate. Accuracy and dependability are important before you start letting the Genie out of the bottle.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011