hi-point firearms

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hunter29180, Mar 19, 2011.

1. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I have had experience with both pistols and carbines in both .45 acp and 9mm. They're big, they're ugly but they are utterly reliable. And, in my experience, surprisingly accurate. If the chips were down, I would not hesitate to rely on a Hi-Point. My only gripe is they do not make a decent extended magazine for the carbine.
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

ditto that for sure...
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

The one and only complaint I have about my 9mm is that it's a pain to field strip for cleaning.
  4. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

I don't have any Hi-Point handguns, but I do have 2 carbines, a 9mm, and a 45. I love both of them, I shoot them every chance I get. They are pretty good shooters out to 60-70 yards. I have noticed with cheap low power ammo both will stove pipe once in a while, but with good stout handloads they both run very well. My buddy has the 9mm pistol, and it doesn't like weak ammo either, but good powerful loads work great.

As for the lack of HiCap mags, I have heard that with slight mods to either mags or mag release, 1911 mags will work. The 1911 mags have the catch in the same location, the size is the same also. The difference is the HiPt mags have the catch bulged out on the mag, the 1911 is not, just a cut out. I thought about modifying a 15rd 1911 mag but I can get 2 9rd hipt mags for less than 1 1911 hicap mag.

I was going to buy a C9 for my wife, but spent the extra $100 for a S&W sigma. The Hipt C9 was just to bulky for her to handle well. I won't buy a HiPt pistol for the simple fact that I can't shoot a semi auto pistol for crap. Give me a large frame revolver with a 6 inch or longer barrel, a carbine or rifle, and I'm happy as a redneck at a mudbog!
  5. soundguy

so far I've been running white bo winchester, or bulk pack 45acp jmj in my 45 carbine.

other than 1 dud in the bulk pack.. no issues. it did take a couple shots to loosen up and battery fine.. but then.. I have AK's that are like that too.
  6. skullfr

skullfr New Member

my son owns one in 9mm.I dont personally like it but the 1st day we went to the range and ran 150 rounds through it with no problems.We both had decent groups especially being not used to it.It does fit into a niche.
  7. soundguy

yep. when I think back of all the sat night special priced guns over the years.. many have been discussed here.. bryco.. jenninggs, raven, lorcin.. haskel.. few get favorable comments. i think haskel is one of the few.. ( i have one of each.. haskel is the only good one out of the bunch! ).. then toss in hi point. cheap.. yet shoots reliably. the raven, jennings, bryco, and lorcins out there.. well... not so much.. :)
  8. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

My wife bought a jennings 25 3 years ago fro $25, and in the last 3 years she hasn't had the patience to deal with all the misfires and other jams the thing has to fire the 100rds she got when she bought the paper weight. That is usually the function it serves, place it on the paper targets at the range to stop them from blowing around.
  9. soundguy

bait gun.. the one you leave out for someone to snatch so they don';t dig thru your range bag for the real ones.. ;)