1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hi-Point Handguns

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

mudducky
    (8/12/01 3:37:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hi-Point Handguns
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been reading some on the Hi-Point firearms, and wonder if anybody has any experience with them. Are they any good or are they just a Saturday Night Special?
    I've been looking to get my c/w permit, and looking for a reasonably priced firearm in the 9mm or 40 S&W, thats fairly small, reliable, and nice to shoot. (Is that asking to much?)

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/12/01 3:56:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hi-Point Handguns
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Look at a Kel-Tec, and forget Hi-Point..........
    "am not" R2

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/12/01 4:48:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Hi-Point Handguns
    I agree with LTS, I would go with Kel-Tec or a
    used high end firearm, reliability is the key!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

AntiqueDr
    (8/12/01 4:50:45 pm)
    Hi-Point, Stallard, whatever you call them... stay away! FAR away!

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

mudducky
    (8/15/01 2:19:54 pm)
    OK, I can take a hint. I'll stay away from Hi-Point, from the way you guys talk, I'll never look at a another one. Thanks.
    You just may have saved my life.

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/20/01 2:28:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del can't say
    I absolutely disagree with anyone else -- the HiPoint is very likely (with one Japanese exception) the world's ugliest semi-auto.

I've never heard, though, that they don't work well. But. If I were looking for a 9mm of those dimensions and reasonably priced, I'd probably look first at a Ruger, probably a P95.

disclaimer: I have never worked for Sturm, Ruger & Co in any capacity.

topgun11pi412
    (3/10/02 7:11:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: can't say
    it is my opinion and belief that you boys are talking out of whack. i coon fingered some hi point pistols today. i am from the old school... s&w, colt, h&k, sig, walther... and i own many and have taught with even more. one of my students is a duty semi auto national champion. let me tell you something about hi point. i bought the little 9mm carbine today. i was reluctant, but it was only a hundred and seventy bucks. i couldn't pass it up, even if it amounted to only a plinking gun. i took it to the range and using speer lawman, federal hydra shocks, and a few old winchester black talons, the gun performed so incredibly i am still in disbelief for an inexpensive firearm. it is no saturday night special. out of the box it was dead on at twenty five yards. wow. there was a milk jug out at a hundred and fifty yards, so i put the post on it and plugged it one... and then another and another. i shot it rapid fire. i closed the bolt different ways for pressure changes. flawless. an unbelievable all american made, all american parts gun. support this little company. you won't go wrong. i am proud to own this little ugly carbine. i would like it as much as our issued mp5 if it had select fire and a bigger magazine. i'm going to buy some more of their products. if i had to run out and could only take one firearm with me. today, i would not think for a second. i would pick up the hi point and leave the sks, ak47, mini 14/30, ar/m's sitting on the rack. there's my two cents. kel tech is nice, but for the money??? i've got a thousand dollar h&k 9mm handgun and it sucks. i'm going to give this little company another look based on my new carbine. to each his own.....

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/10/02 9:47:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: can't say
    Haven't tested their Carbine but speaking from
    experience their pistols are crap in my opinion!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/10/02 9:50:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Topgun,

Put about a case of ammo through it, then let us know how you like it.

If you can still find all the parts.

www.apaxenterprises.com

topgun11pi412
    (3/11/02 9:41:43 am)
    i once put ten thousand rounds through a s&w 6946 and never had a misfire, pipe, or jam. i thought that was really cool, as after that, the little gun was still able to shoot a 300. i was not trying to see how many rounds i could put the gun through, i was making it part of me. my question is, why put "x" number of rounds through a weapon just to see if it will break or fall apart? i understand your point, and the point of every magazine writer in the market. however, let's look at it from the standpoint of someone or a family with limited income. not everyone can go out and plunk down four, six, or eight hundred dollars for a "reliable name brand" gun. enter a company like hi point. they offer a "sub gun" sized weapon in a good caliber. it is affordable to a person or head of a family at a budget price. cheap or not, it feeds and cycles some of the best ammunition on the market and does not misfire, and performs nothing but flawlessly. this person on a budget isn't going to dump a case or more of ammo through it. he wants it to protect his loved ones. this weapon is tested and it works, it is extremely accurate. the owner keeps it at home for protection of his family, or for any imaginable situation. the gun works. he takes care of it. he's not trying to trash the gun to see how long it takes to fall apart. if he does plink with it over the course of a year or two and it ever falls apart or becomes unreliable after "x" number of rounds, he can buy another one for just over a hundred and fifty bucks, still way ahead of the game. i think most of us, myself included for a number of years, has the snobbish view of cheap or inexpensive guns. so what if it's cheap and inexpensive? if it works when you need it, then what's the problem? it's not made in a third world country, it's not made by child labor, the profits aren't going to a foreign national. it's american. i have no ties with hi point. i just went to a gun show for the first time in ten years, and it was too ugly and cheap to pass up. can you believe the junk tec 9's were going for three fifty to four hundred? no way. i am hoping you've understood my point. what is your personal hands on experience with hi point? please don't simply say... they suck, stay away from them. please elaborate. thank you.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 12:10:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

My personal experience with Hi-Point is having over half of them returned from retail customers, to the point where I will no longer sell them.

If you have a good one you have the exception to the rule.

www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

topgun11pi412
    (3/11/02 6:11:49 pm)
    i truly find that interesting and will consider myself lucky until this little gun proves me otherwise. i surely will keep you updated. i guess sig, colt, glock, and beretta are where it's at. i have an h&k p9s worth it's weight in cow trrds. sitting around the campfire, two lt's on the local pd here were hashing glocks for "breaking", and they didn't want any of their patrols using them. they only carried sigs. well, they don't carry sigs anymore because they "broke". does anyone remember the colt all american? the beretta slides in the early nineties? in another one of those "lack of will power" moments, i purchased a junker, a grendel .380 about ten years ago. what a piece of **** everyone said. ten years later it still had never failed me. i almost regret swapping it for some gun or another. the hi point may be junk, but until it proves that to me, it will have a home. one last thing, if you don't mind, and have the time, can you please tell me what most of the failures were with the returned hi points? i'm looking at the extractor and wondering, but until it goes... thanks for the debate. i'm certainly enjoying it. wish we could all sit down at a domino table and do this face to face. later, c

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/11/02 11:46:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Extractors are the biggest. Crap magazines were in the running.

And I play one hell of a game of 42.

www.apaxenterprises.com
    Kimber and Wilson Combat Master Dealer

velvetnsteel
    (3/12/02 8:28:17 pm)
    Probably the worst things about these ( or Jennings, Davis, etc ) is the fact they are not safe to carry with the chamber loaded. The safeties are just not any good. Take one apart and look at it and tell me you will trust your life to one!!! They may fire OK. I have owned a couple of them to use as paperweights, but would not carry one. And a gun you can't carry is worthless. In my humble opinion, of course.
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

SW Man
    (3/13/02 11:13:49 pm)
    Their HANDGUNS are avoidable, just not good. BUT the little carbine is a very good gun. I haveput better than 5000 rounds thru mine and it still shoots and functions perfectly. It even works well with high power ammo.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

Gwebb22
    (3/16/02 6:23:40 pm)
    From what I can see, virtually all the negative comments regarding Hi-Point quality & reliability, are related to their handgun offering, not the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Those individuals you purchased the carbine, speak favorably on its performance and reliability.
    I just purchased a 995 Hi-Point carbine. As far as handguns go, I won a Colt Cmdr, a sig, and a taurus.

Gwebb22
    (3/16/02 6:29:28 pm)
    Most of the negative comments regarding Hi-Point are related to their handgun offering. The comments and experience with the Hi-Point 9mm carbine seem to be favorable. I just purchased the Hi-Point carbine and feel for the money, it is a good buy. I have never heard of a feeding/extractor problem with the carbine.

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/02 6:37:40 pm)
    Why would anyone buy a Hi Point anyway? Price? Find an older used Taurus, S & W, Rossi revolver. About the same price and much much better.
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/18/02 11:09:57 pm)
    A fellow in the local reserve LEO class brought one of the highpoint .40s into class a couple of weeks ago. The other instructors didn't want to let him shoot it, but I could see by the look on his face that it was all he could afford. After all most of these guys are not getting paid and have to buy their own equipment. After breaking it down I almost agreed with the other F.I. I had him to bring it over to my house the next evening and we took it out back and shot it. (HIM FIRST!) At 10-12yds you could keep it in the 9 ring. But the slide was so slow you couldnt really fire it in a fast string. Seemed pretty darn strange to wait for a slide to return to battery so you shoot the thing again! It did have a misfire or two(or 10) that looked like was caused by the extractor. (Was that thing made out of the rim of a tin can?) . The kid ended up shooting a passing score with it, but he's looking for something more "mainline" before the class ends and he goes on the street. Thats my one and only firing session with a hi-point product. For the cost I see old model 10 s&w's that I would feel better about owning/shooting.

Just my .02

Steve

walter in florida
    (3/20/02 3:14:54 am)
    I believe it was in Huston or L.A. A hood put the trigger on a guy at point blank range. Jammed, that says it all on Hi-Point.

TUlichnie
    (3/31/02 9:40:47 pm)
    Well I am new too your Forum here but I must put in my extra 2 cents.
    I have 2 Hi-Points the 9mm Compensator and the JC40 .40 S&W. I have well over 8000 rnds through each one and I am very pleased with both my purchases.
    I carry one or the other either in strong side belt or shoulder harness for CCW. And have had no problem with them.
    I have had the firing pin replaced in the .40 but that was with no cost being my Hi-Points are life time warranty. And for my trouble they send extra mags when they return them, good people too work with.
    The 9mm has had the magazine catch replaced recently but I think it was because of my swapping mags so fast and slamming them home so hard, gotta work on that one.
    I carry the Premium 135gr JHP Hydra shock in the 9mm and the Gold Dot 165gr GDHP in my .40.
    I will not be getting rid of my girls any time soon.
    Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents
    Thanks
    Shoot a lot and Stay Safe
    Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/31/02 10:49:51 pm)
    Welcome to the board Tony

Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus
  2. john12225

john12225 New Member

Wow, I wonder how many of the people that are ripping on Hi-Point handguns have actually first hand used one?
    I have been out of shooting for about 15 years, but have owned multiple S&W, Ruger, and Beretta's. Since I was not sure if my son's would enjoy shooting I went to a local dealer and bought a used JC40 for $99. I figured if I used it once and then kept it for a paperweight (although an ugly one) so be it. Well I was in for a shock. Althought this is probably the ugliest, an one of the heaviest hand guns I've ever seen this thing worked great. We put over 300 rounds through it and not one jam!! It was also very accurate and kept a tight grouping at 25 Yds. Also to my suprise because of the weight and blowback design there was not that much re-coil.

The only reason I can see for someone to complain is they feel foolish that a $99 pistol can work as good as thier $600 pistol.

If your still not sure buy one at least if you don't like it your not out $600.

John
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

The new ones are better quality than the old ones. On the old ones if the firring pin broke it was trashed now it seems the fellers over in Dayton Ohio got thier crap together. For the money you cant beat one. However you cannot copair one to say a Glock or a Ruger either. I have shot saveral and the only one I didn't like was the .380.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The only complaint I have had with my two C9s is that DIL won't geve me back the one she "borrowed."

I've had the first one for over 15 years, now.

Pops