Hi-Point pistols????

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by big steve, Jul 25, 2010.

1. big steve

big steve New Member

Hey everyone

I am looking into possibly getting a .45acp Hi-point pistol. I want a bigger caliber pistol for around the house. And I know they are quite cheap and that is why I was wondering for any reviews or opinions. Can anyone tell me anything about these guns.

Thank you very much,

Steve
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Big, Ugly, Heavy but they work. And if they don't work, MKS (HiPoint) will make it right. Accuracy with them is hit and miss literally. I had a 995 and a CF380, both accurate and held nice groups. I've shot a C9 that was not much better than a sling shot.
  3. big steve

big steve New Member

Thanks for the input. So you think its worth getting. Becuase if its not accurate wont Hi-point fix it for me if there is something wrong??
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Yes they will and accuracy does fall under their warrenty. They may have a bad rap from some but those are the ones that have never tried. MKS is a good company and backs there stuff 100%. For the price you really can't go wrong. Would I carry one? No too heavy and bulky but I have yet to run across one that didn't feed and go bang. Can't say that for some of the high dollar boys out there.
  5. big steve

big steve New Member

Very true. And I am very impressed in their lifetime unconditional warranty. But i mean I really dont mind them being heavy at all. And also like I said this is more around the house. So it kind of sounds like this would work for me :)
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

If its what you can afford and it works for you, I would buy it before some others. I'm gonna tell you right now, the triggers are much to be desired and there is not much that can be done to improve them but the mechanics behind the design are robust and fool proof. Would I trust my life to one? Not 100% but its better than a bat b/c I have a better chance. And like I said, if its all you feel comfortable spending then you can't go wrong b/c its still better than the alternatives.
  7. big steve

big steve New Member

Well I mean I was thinking of one of the small glocks but thats gonna run me like $550 for the one I want and I really can't do that. I came across the Hi-Point and was amazed at the price and the great warranty. So I mean I am kind of stuck I dont know what exactly to do??
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I do a lot of work for a local gun shop that does a ton of business. These guys carry everything from the most expensive STI 1911 down to Hi Point and Charter. Now I don't sell anything for them but I am behind the counter on busier days talking to customers. There is a reason why they sell the whole myriad of brands, So people can protect themselves with what ever means they have. Would they want to sell you a glock over a hi point, well sure but when all you have is 200 bucks and you want to protect your family, its the best option out there. There are a lot of haters out there on hi point but there are a lot of haters of glock, HK, Taurus and on and on. Here's a little bit of info that some may find shocking. There is a log book of returns on new guns that are sent back for repair for warranty work. Sadly Taurus is no 1 but Springfield, Kimber, STI, Ruger, S&W, Beretta, Para Ordinance, all have theirs too. Hi Point does not have a log book b/c they have not had to send any back.
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Accuracy on the HiPoints is a matter of opinion, in my opinion. I've heard of a few people berating them as inaccurate. My C9s were/are very good. Not match grade, but minute of pop can out to 25 yards. The .380 and the .45 I've shot were in the same category.

Pops
  10. big steve

big steve New Member

So your saying that you think the Hi-Point are pretty good quality??? I mean I really dont care what it feels like what it looks like or how heavy it is. I just want something that if I ever need to use it God Forbid I just want it to fire and not jam or anything. Thats where I am coming from here????
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Quality from a function standpoint, yes they work. I can honestly say I have never had one of mine or have had anyone else tell me about theirs jamming. My two ate everything, every time.
  12. big steve

big steve New Member

That is all I am worried about functionality as long as they don't jam on me thats all I care about I just need it to be reliable
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

put a few hundred round through it and you'll know were you stand. No gun is 100% reliable. To many factors involved including bad ammo, human error and just dumb luck.Do I trust some of my guns over others? yes, because I have shot many many rounds through them and I know how they act. do I trust one brand over another? No, everyone can put out a turd, thats why you go out and shoot them. Steve, for the money, its your best bet if you want a new gun.
  14. big steve

big steve New Member

Thank you very much for all the input it is appreciated.
  15. MagnumFan

MagnumFan Former Guest

Spend a little more and buy a quality pistol.
  16. mxracer07

mxracer07 New Member

i have a c9 and i am impresed with it i have had 1911's and love them......but i got this c9 for 75bucks and it has only had 10 rounds fired through it so i figured i wouldnt be out much if it didnt do its job at 25yds it shoots about two inches low but if there was a person standing there they would not be happy so IMO i would buy one now if i could find a good holster i would be happy the only thing i have found so far is unckle mikes and i dont want to carry one of those
  17. big steve

big steve New Member

Thanks guys. I already have some pistols so I decided it may not be all that important for me to get another one. Impulse type purchase I guess lol.
  18. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I never thought much of the Hi-points, I guess because I listened to so many people talk bad about them. I do not own one of them but I did get to fire one a few months ago. I was amazed at just how well it shot. The one I fired was very accurate, I would not hesitate in buying one, if it were the only gun in my price range.
  19. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Me and a friend put 500 rounds through his in one afternoon with out a single fail to feed or missfire. We pounded on that thing mag after mag and it never failed. We got it so hot we had to put it down for a while to let it cool. I love Hi Points, And as stated abover their warrenty cannot be beaten.
  20. flyingcubby

flyingcubby New Member

I've had my Hi-point for 9 month and never had an issue with it . I know of several people who have had the same experiance. I have basicly delt with Ruger in the past but was surprised with my c-9. I would not hesitate to purchase another along with a no question lifetime warranty.But to each their own...Mike