Hi point weapons?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by bang250, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bang250

bang250 New Member

What is y'alls take on hi point? Are they average, below average ect...

I was considering a .45 but wanted some input. Wouldn't be something that I would shoot very often if that matters.
  2. fishermanben

fishermanben New Member

Bang, as long as you don't plan on competing with it, or having to shoot someone with it, they will make a cheap plinker.

Ben
  3. Mr. Blasty

Mr. Blasty New Member

You get what you pay for.
  4. BobbyWins

BobbyWins New Member

I got a carbine for $100 at a pawn shop.Never expected it to compete w/my Brownings,Rugers,Remingtons,etc.But for keepin' behind the seat and not carrin' what it looks like,it's fine,and once I figured out which ammo it likes the best,it goes "BANG" every time.I can't complain.Not sure I'd want to carry onto the battle field though.

BW
  5. ruger270man

ruger270man New Member

Guns and weapons for L.E. gave a good review of their carbine, I think it was the .40 S&W model
  6. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i got troy 1 for christmas. he said it was not as accurate as shooting the revolver he got me (taurus .357 mag w/ 38s), but he also said that the fit wasnt quite right w/ his hand.
  7. punchie

punchie Member

MKS is noted for having an excellent Customer Service Depatment. Unfortunately, they are probably the most overworked. Hi-point firearms show the difference between "cheap" and inexpensive with them being "cheap". The quality of the materials used and the degree of worksmanship is cheap where inexpensive guns like the Makarov or CZ52 have quality materials and worksmansip and are a great bargin.
  8. MVP

MVP New Member

In my experiences with the few highpoints I have seen and firearms in general, I would save a few more dollars and buy something with a little more quality.
    Or at the least, like chorkie said, Buy a quality surplus handgun at about the same price as the Hipoints are running.
  9. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Those idiots would give a potato gun a good review and make a case for having one in every patrol car in Idaho.....

Hi-point is cheap crap.

IMHO
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  10. geezler

geezler New Member

My wife has a Hi-Point in 9MM carbine. When she got it the trigger was scratchy and heavy. A little lapping compound and some spring work made it into a nice plinker.
  11. HiPressure

HiPressure New Member

98% junk. Some that I have seen are reliable with FMJ ammo and will actually allow you to print a "group" at 25 yards, but with any good HP ammo will choke. Thanks, my Win 94 Trapper in 45 Colt will let me shoot decent groups at 100 yards and will even feed LSWC's (not to mention 300gr JSP's at some really extreme velocities), my Mini-14 will take care of the semi-auto urge, and for $400 bucks or so I can buy a decent bolt-gun for longer ranges.
    As for their handgun's, run, don't walk, to the nearest store that sells used quality revolvers. You'll have something more reliable and will be able to use decent (self-defence) loads when you need them.
    Just my 2 cents,
    HP
  12. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

It seems as though this subject is met with a lot of opinion; like something else, we all have one. Here is mine. I have the carbine and pistol both in .40S&W and both have performed and functioned very well. My carbine is equipped with a Tasco 3-9x40 scope (which is a little overkill), but it is fun to shoot. It's true, you get what you pay for and the workmanship isn't the greatest, but for recreational shooting and varmint hunting mine have performed very well. I also believe that Hi-Point wouldn't put something on the market to sell to the public with a lifetime warranty if they expected a lot of them to be returned for repair. They are not for soldiers or police but they make fine weapons for anyone on a tight budget. My .02 :cool:
  13. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

A friend and I recently purchased 2-9mm a 40 cal and a 45acp from a hi point dealer. We both shot about 125 rounds of reloaded 125 gr rn lead loaded at 4.4 gn of bulls eye. About three times each the reciever didnt go all the way back and then forward to chamber the next round. We both felt that a little more powder would eliminate this problem. We will reload more and let you know. I've read that after 125-250 rounds the clip is broken in and all chambering issues will go away. No problems with the 40 and we haven't shot the 45 yet. Yes these are cheap guns. I would rather have a cheap gun than no gun at all. Just shoot it often and get a feel for it then decide for yourself. For a hundred bucks its a fun plinker.

Steve
  14. OlcDog

OlcDog New Member

The manager at my range told me he would order a Hi-Point carbine, but would NEVER sell one of their hand guns.... I bought a Rugar Carbine instead, love it...
  15. cravnsn

cravnsn New Member

Here are my experiences with both the 9mm and .40 carbines from Hi Point.

I first purchased the 9 at a gun show. I had read up on the gun from various on line forums and reviews, and it sounded like a decent buy for $175. Got a 25 round box of Wolf 115g FMJ to start with. I experienced jams right away, and thought it was due to the ammo. Next, I tried Winchester 115g FMJ and Remington 124g Golden Saber HP’s. Same problem. I experienced at least 1, and sometimes as many as 3 jams per magazine. My previous experience with auto loaders was a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol and a Remington 597 .22 rifle. Both guns gave me headaches with jamming also. I just thought it was the nature of the beast, until I called the dealer I had purchased the Hi Point from, and he assured me that should not be the case with this gun. So, I sent it in for service. I sent a detailed letter explaining the problems I had, and included pictures of a round jammed in the gun. The guy at the factory said the have a return rate of 2%. He told me what the found was wrong, replaced the bolt, slide, spring…pretty much everything except the trigger & barrel. He also said they put 150 rounds through it without further incident. When I got it back (2 weeks total turn around) I put 100 rounds through it without any problems. To me, that’s great service.

While the 9 was out being serviced, I did some reading on the differences between 9mm and .40cal rounds, and decided I wanted the better stopping power the .40 had to offer. The gun was cheap enough, so I picked one up. The .40 with 500 rounds of Winchester 165g FMJ, Win. 155 Silver Tip, Federal HP, Win. 180g FMJ – everything I have fed it has chambered, fired and ejected without incident. Accuracy is good (will be better once I overcome my natural tendency to flinch) and both guns are a lot of fun to shoot. I have laser sights on both, a 4x scope on the 9 and a 2.5x on the .40.

They are a little finicky out of the box, but with some tweaking, they are as reliable as anything else out there. On a recent trip to the local indoor range, I was seated next to a guy from the Army. He was shooting a .30-06 and came over to see what I had (the .40 at the time) he asked how much I paid, and I said two. “Two grand huh” and I said “No, 200” He was surprised. Once I had my scope sighted in, I showed him my grouping at 50 yards, and he was really impressed.
    With decent arms, low price and great customer service, I will be a Hi Point customer for a long time.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  16. offeror

offeror New Member

I never seriously considered one of their handguns for clear reasons -- they're so big and blocky they make the Glocks look streamlined, and any gun that has to be that big to be strong enough to shoot 9 and 40 is bound to be made of soft metal. Soft metal wears quick and breaks easy, so even if it shoots in the meantime I wouldn't trust one.

I have seen enough good reviews of the carbines to believe that they probably shoot, and for the price point I think there's a market, but I'd rather have a whole lot of other guns before I'd want one of those unless somebody was giving it away very cheap.
  17. doug

doug New Member

i myself have a 9mm rugger. when i first got it it jamed up on me a few times. that was do to the fact that it was new and not been been worked in yet. but now that i have put a good few rounds in it,the thing is awsome. i havent had a problem since then and i shoot it at least 4to5 times a week. be sure to clean it good after a couple hundred round or so and that think will work good for you for a long time. also the support team that hi-point has is a good group of peaple who kniw what they are doing. i had to have a new fireing pin,spring and hammer,do to my own fault. anyway they sent me those items for free, no shipping charge or anything. my opinion onthe gun is that it is agood gun.
  18. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

this appears to be an opinion thread so, here goes.

I own a Hi-Point model 9C, 9mm. It really doesn't like to feed the first HP round. This only happens when I trip the slide release, not when I cycle it slowly :confused: .

It really isn't very accurate; I've never hit the ten ring on purpose with it but, it CAN hold a 8" group at 35 Yds.

Never had a jam, never failed to cycle, prefers FMJ's over anything else.

My position, It's not my Kimber or my Sig but, I feel good about it saving my life in a pinch.

Jim
  19. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

my friend has one in 9mm and i shot it and decided i would never ever buy one.
  20. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

I'd like to bitch about 'em, but I got a .40 pistol and a 9mm carbine and I can't seem to break either of them or get a FTF. They are CHEAPLY made though, I'll keep throwing ammo at 'em until I break something :p