hi points? any good?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gendoikari87, Jan 20, 2011.

1. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

So I'm helping a friend pick out a gun for self defense and was wondering what quality hi points were. They are DIRT DIRT DIRT cheap so I was iffy on the quality. any body have any experience with them?
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

you'll get the gun snobs that will tell you horror stories about the hi-points and yes there has been lemons but consider this. smith and wesson has one of the highest recall rates of any other gun company and i don't think anyone would think of them as junk. now to your question the hi-points are thought of very highly by those in the know. ugly as a brick and about the same ergonomics but they work. they have a life time warranty and the company is easy to work with. once upon a time "we" had one as a range rental it worked flawlessly and continues to work after 5000 plus rounds with very few cleaning. if you can get past the ugly and the feel you'll get a lot of bang for the buck
  3. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Yes things like that work. Look at the firearms used by Japan in the last days of their power as a nation. It does make you wonder about the U.S.
    is our glory days gone. Our Golden Years of firearms seems to be.

RC
  4. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

I own a CF380 and it is flawless. I also now have a 995TS that I bought last weekend and haven't taken to the range yet, but I am sure it will be the same as the .380. I had a C9 that was junk, and I have seen a few .45's that were junk. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their .380's or carbines, though.
  5. ole iron sights

ole iron sights New Member

i have the 380 w/ compensator .... nice gun and isnt so front heavy that u cant leave a good group of shots like the larger bores....... i say yes to hi-point
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

they may be ugly and heavy but they run. Can't say that about some other manufactures.
  7. gendoikari87

kel-tec, Ruger, Accuracy international North america, and remington highly disagree. Fear not, we do still lead the arms race. it's just a little tighter with the likes of FNH and walther putting out quality stuff as of late.
  8. dragman

dragman New Member

There are big, cheap feeling, ugly, and WORK. They work and function really well and have probably the best customer service in the industry.
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

They go bang when you pull the trigger and were the pistol of choice for the little gang bangers where I was a deputy. They knew how to conceal them in those baggy pants and I am talking full sized 40's and 45's.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

not the most pleasant things, but from what i understand, nearly all of them work. if not i think they have a lifetime warranty on em.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, good reviews so far. That kinda surprises me. I almost always see people pounce on hi point right away. I sell them in my shop and alot of people frown on them. I happen to think they are a decent gun, especialy for the money. I personally wouldnt want one for everyday carry due to the bulkiness, but I have heard they can be dependable.
  12. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn New Member

I've been doing alot of research on the Hi-Points recently and I may be picking one up tomorrow at the C&E show in Charlotte, NC. Some people have had feed problems but there is an easy fix (just a slight mod to the magazine).
  13. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i do not own one and probably will not ever.now having said that i will tell you i have no nich for one that i dont already have covered,otherwise i would.i have a friend of mine who owns a reloading and gun shop,he sent one back for a customer that i think must of been thrown in his trunk and forgotten.it had quite a bit of surface rust and had no lubricating oil on it that i could see.within 10 days it came back looking like new and running good.i know of no other manufacturer that would do what was done. old semperfi
  14. gendoikari87

so, how can they sell these so cheap? If they're reliable, that's what matters a that price point.
  15. the yooper

the yooper New Member

my friend got one helped him all i could with it . lots of jams . not impressed. i have glocks smiths and ruger dont have them probs. rember its your life! your choise. the feel good of cheep maynot:) feel good in the end!!! good luck:)