hi points? any good?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gendoikari87, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Now that was some abuse. That is an amazing series of videos to watch. Ugly but one tough son of a gun!!
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just had a concealed class this past saturday. One guy broke out a hi-point 45 and was kinda talking it down because of the price. He was saying that was all he could afford. But when it came time to do the live fire, he was tearing the center out of the target with zero failures.
  3. Pro-Gun"Liberal"

Pro-Gun"Liberal" New Member

I had a Hi point .40 cal. It was my first gun. It ate everything I feed it, made 2-3 inch groups, had the looks of Rosie O'Donnell running naked, and had the density of a dying star. What a wonderful piece of crap! I'd own it again in a heat-beat. I would never consider it to carry, concealed or open. It's just stupid-heavy. but for a house-gun, it will put an accurately placed hole in an intruder's chest. And a gun you can afford in your hand is much better than a gun you can't afford that's sitting at the store. :)
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've had a guy or two shooting a Kimber that didn't do nearly so well. The difference is almost always the man rather than the machine.

I don't like Hi-Points, but it's not because they fail to function as intended. (A Hi-Point 9mm was the first handgun I ever shot.)

Hi-Points are the Kia of the gun world. Some people don't like them because they're less expensive or they don't look/feel right. A Kia will drive me down the highway at the same 55 MPH as my Ford F-250. I'd always choose the Ford, but it's not because the Kia cobbled-together piece of junk. It's just not what I want, and I have the ability to get what I want instead.
  5. Warith

Warith Member

I have a 380, 9mil, 9mil, 40 and 9mil carbine all from hi point. I have other guns as well.

I love shooting the hi points they go bang every time they hit what you point at are heavey and ugly as sin but dang they work great.
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Inexpensive? Yes. Ugly? Yes. Work well? Yes.

Years ago while working in a local gun shop, we sold approx. a dozen 9mm handguns as well as that number again of the carbines (one going to myself). We only had two handguns come back with fail to feed problems. A polishing of their feed ramps (and some test rounds) later, problem solved and they didn't come back again.

Love my carbine. It has functioned well with the assortment of ammo that's been put through it and is surprisingly accurate.
  7. shawnc

shawnc New Member

Buy 1 and you will be adicted, they are among the ugliest guns that i have ever owned however that being said i have never had one fail to feed or fire pistol or carbine just make sure that when you fire the pistol you dont limp wrist it and you will be fine and i have also heard that you should not manually cycle ammo through them due to the firing pin being part of the extractor and doing so can cause the gun to go off. some of the best firearms that i own are hi-points that being said it is not my conciled carry piece but not because of reliablity issues just because they are so damn heavy. just my 2 cents
  8. vulcrider

vulcrider New Member

Have owned 2 C-9's. Both worked very well and were acceptably accurate. Sold both at a profit and the new owners are still using them with great satisfaction. I agree, they are not pretty nor especially petit for CC, but will do the job they were intended for, i.e. putting rounds down range. With the purchase of a permanently sited camper, I am seriously considering another for a camp gun.
    Just my $.02.
  9. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

My buddy has one....goes bang every time.
  10. group17

group17 New Member

Heres how you make them a little better to look at.
    A nice pair of wood grips.

[​IMG]
  11. Full auto

Full auto New Member

Wow! Where did you get those Grips? I didn't know that anyone made wood grips
    for Hi Points. There is something beautiful about a Steel Barrel and Wooden Grips.
    I'd like to get a pair for my C-9.
  12. group17

group17 New Member

He makes them for all hi-point pistols and other manufacturers as well.

Has a nice selection of woods to choose from plus he is reasonable.

Thomas Grips.
    406-20-9140
    jnathomas08@ yahoo.com

The owners name is Josh.
  13. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I would rather have a used Ford than a new Kia, and I would MUCH rather have a Star B, BM, BKM, Helwan Brigadier, LLama, USED than a new HiPoint. Sorry, I just cant warm up to them. Notice, not being the proverbial HiPoint Hating Elitist, I didnt say a Lincoln, Caddy, or Walther or Korth. :)
  14. group17

group17 New Member

When was the last time you drove a KIA?
    The new ones are getting great reviews and the company is seeing 20% growth during last 2 years recession unlike Ford. I had a used Ford Contour. Now that was a great example of Ford engineering.

A new hi-point comes with a lifetime warranty so that if any thing goes wrong with it it's fixed free. None of the guns you listed do and I would not want to be hunting down parts for any on your list. If you don't mind and can fix all of the guns mentioned, go for it. I handled a used Egyptian Helwan Brigadier at my LGD. I'll stick with the hi-point that comes with a warranty just like my car.
    To each his own.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  15. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Them Ohio boys at high point done just what they wanted to with that firearm. They wanted to build a reliable, durable, afforadable firearm. Couple that with the best customer service in the industry and a no questions asked policy on equipment malfunctions, what is not like about this firearm?
  16. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

They may be tough, reliable, accurate ex............ But DAD GONE they are ugly. For me a gun of any kind has to pass the "beauty contest". But, I'm a guy who already has guns. I guess I can be a little pickier. :) Just my opinion