Hi-Standard Double Nine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DRB, Nov 15, 2011.

1. DRB

DRB New Member

Hello all,

I have a Hi-Standard Double Nine .22 caliber niny cylinder revolver with a 5 1/2" barrel that I would like to know more about. It appears to have an aluminum frame and shows quite a bit of wear. The markings are as follows:

1. The left side of the barrel has the words HI-STANDARD followed by an image of a steer's head with the words DOUBLE-NINE above it. To the right of this is the marking of .22 CAL. (see image)
    2. The right side of the barrel is marked with HIGH STANDARD MFG. CORP. HAMDEN CONN. U.S.A. (see image)
    3. The right side of the frame just below the cylinder is marked with what I presume is the serial number 8785XX and below that W-100. (see image)
    4. Under the left hand grip it is marked with the number 364 in two locations. (see image)
    5. In addition to the wear on the left side of the barrel at the muzzle, there are some areas of wear that appear to be more than 'normal wear'. I have pointed these out as best as I can in the pictures.

Please provide the date of manufacture as well as an estimated price for this revolver.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Your High Standard Double Nine is a W-100 series manufactured in 1958, the first year of that model. The grips are original to the gun, and the catalog model number was 9169.

In that condition (great pics by the way), the gun is clearly out of the collector realm and would sell as a shooter in the $200 range.
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The serial number suggests a September - October 1958 manufacture, the actual ship date was 2/12/1959. These guns neither finished in assembly in serial number order nor shipped in serial number order.
  4. BobbyStoots

BobbyStoots New Member

Hello, i also have a double nine just like the one above but its a W 104, Any idea what year it was made? ser. # 1240XXX Thanks for any info
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

196X

Since these guns were not completed or shipped in serial number order, The ship date cannot be accurately determined without a complete serial number.
  6. BobbyStoots

BobbyStoots New Member

Thank you
  7. freds7

freds7 New Member

I have a Hi-Standard Double Nine that was my father's. I just took it out of storage after 30 years, cleaned and oiled it and took it out to the local shooting range. The shell casing eject post on the cylinder sticks and you have to bang on the ejection rod to eject spent shell casings. I don't see any way to disassemble the cylinder ejection mechanism. Is this thing repairable? Thanks
  8. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Do you mean it is difficult to eject spent shell casings? If so, two things come to mind:

A) the firing chambers might still be dirty, or have too much oil in them,

B) you might be using some kind of ammunition that is difficult to extract. I had some Russian 22LR ammo with steel shell cases that broke the cylinder retaining catch on an H&R 999.

I think some Double 9's were made in 22 Magnum, but you would almost certainly have noticed how loose the firing chambers were with 22LR ammo. Such a gun would have a six-shot cylinder instead of a nine-shot.

This website describes all the High Standard Sentinels. Your gun is mechanically identical, just restyled to resemble a Colt Single Action Army:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html

Good luck, and welcome to the Forum!
  9. freds7

freds7 New Member

Lanrezac - thanks for the info and link. My gun is the W-104 model with walnut grips and a 5" barrel and it is a 22LR nine shot. Yes the problem is the extrator that ejects spent shell casings. Even when there are no shell casings in the cylinder the extractor jams at times when I try pushing on the pawl that extends from the frame. I have to tap on the pawl with something to get it to come loose. I cleaned everthing I can get to and still have the problem. I guess I will try to find a gunsmith to check it out for me.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Have you tried spraying the cylinder and extractor area with a good penetrant? I like G96 Gun Treatment for that kind of thing, but other penetrants will work also.

I do NOT recommend disassembling the cylinder and extractor, the cylinder can be removed for soaking in a penetrant by pushing in on the plunger in the hole at the bottom front of the frame. Push in with a small punch while pulling on the crane to free the crane and cylinder. Don't let the plunger jump out. Reinstall the crane by pushing in on the plunger and inserting the crane.

Jim
  11. freds7

freds7 New Member

Jim - thanks for the info. Yes I have repeatedly sprayed the cylinder and extractor area with Remington Rem Oil. I'll try soaking the cylinder as you suggested.
  12. Onthefly

Onthefly New Member

I have a Double nine that will function in double action however it will not function in single action. When you pull back on the hammer for single action it will not stay back, is there a way to take it apart and see what's going on.
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Onthefly sent a PM which I answered.

Jim
  14. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I'd suggest that anyone with a HS Double 9 do a search on here, read ALL the pages of info, pay special heed to Bill GoForth's posts (HS Yoda),
    & Jim K's, after reading all that, you'll be Very Well Informed on your Double 9!!

BTW, DRB, those are some EXCELLENT pictures!! I wish all folks who had questions would post up pics like those!!!
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012