Hi Standard H-D Hard to Cock Slide

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by dwdw, Feb 28, 2012.

1. dwdw

dwdw New Member

I guess the best way to enter a new forum is with a Hello and a Please help!!!

Its a long story so get some pop corn! LOL
    About 1970 I bought a Hi Standard H-D Military in almost a total disaster, basket case!
    Then I was shooting real regular and working long hours so not much got done on it.
    I retired this year after being ill and now on the road to recovery I'm trying to make this a good shooter.
    The slide was removed with a punch and a hammer! That was the best! I couldn't see trying to heli-arc the guides back (shaky hands) even the slide stop was trashed. Found one on E bay NOS great find! and the rest I found here and there. If I typed well I have listed what was done, hours of work getting it to shoot
    Now trying to get the slide to move easily without single actioning the hammer its tough to pull back! I polished about a 1/32 radius on the middle guide on the slide that cocks the hammer and polished it with a 1000 grit paper taped to a fine stone making sure it was perfectly square. I was a Machinist and a Millwright and have a very complete shop in one of my outbuildings so this is a good project.
    Checking the hammer it drags on the guide after it cocks is this normal?
    If I move the slide holding the hammer back it moves sweet! but the dragging sucks.
    Of what I can tell it was shot quite a bit by the wear.

Thank You for any help
    dwdw
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

dwdw, welcome to the forum. I am not sure I follow you. Taking the slide off with a punch and a hammer??? I am not sure what you got on Ebay and even less sure if you did or didn't heliarc.

As far as the slide dragging on the hammer that is normal. Think about it for a moment, in order to cock the hammer it has to be pushed down slightly past the sear to engage, so after the slide goes over the top of the hammer, the hammer rises just a bit to engage and be cocked/held by the sear, there is no way for that to happen without the slide dragging over the hammer.

I hope that helps you,

Ron
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. dwdw

dwdw New Member

Thank you for the reply muddober:
    I guess I wasn't to clear-trying to keep it short.
    The pistol was a disaster, the person that owned it prior to me used a punch and a hammer to remove the slide. This why I bought it cheap!
    The slide was bent and the center guide was crooked from the original owners hammer work.
    The replacement I found on E bay was New Old Stock (NOS) that was a great find, it just needed a little deburing and tool marks smoothed.
    The original slide I could have saved by building up with Heli-arc welding to get into the tiny edges and re-machining the guides. As it goes my hands are shaky, if they smooth out (I'd like to try that, that way they would match number wise) that was my last resort if I couldn't find a replacement at a fair price.
    Thank you for the advice even though you couldn't understand what I had written, it made good sense. Is 1000 grit smooth enough?

Have any other ideas on how to lower the force on cocking with the slide?

Thank you
    dwdw
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

dwdw, 1000 grit in my view is an overkill and even 400 is smoother than they came from the factory which was probably more like 220. Just a thought; what I think has happened to you is that the drag to you is really far less than it really is. You have either held the hammer down or removed it and felt the slide without it having to cock the hammer. Either of which made the slide as you put it feel "sweet". Unfortunately with the hammer in the gun you simply cannot get to that same "sweet" from the slide when it is doing its job cocking the hammer.

If the gun functions go shoot it and have fun. They all are a little sticky when the hammer is down and you first start the slide back, it just comes with the territory. If the gun doesn't function right then get back to us and either myself or one of the other guys familar with H-D Military pistols will jump in.

Ron
  5. dwdw

dwdw New Member

Hi Ron. What you say makes the most sense. I was trying to compare it to a S+W.22 pistol that is easier to cock with the slide. Here again after being sick for a long while my strength is most surely less than it was.
    Thank you
    dwdw
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

I am not nearly as familar with the S&W auto 22's as I am High Standards which might have better machanical advantage or a longer hammer spring allowing it to take longer to stack. The HD has a short hammer spring causing it to stack/load very eairly which is felt as resistance in the slide.

What I do know is that HD 22 pistols are some of the best on the planet for accuracy and reliability. I also know that the model 41 and model 46 Smiths are not shabby either.

Ron
  7. dwdw

dwdw New Member

Hi Ron:
    Thanks again and

You Really Know Your Stuff!

Glad to have made your acquaintance.
    Dale