Hi-Standard misfeed problem Dura-matic,M101

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by trwhite, Aug 18, 2006.

1. trwhite

trwhite New Member

I have a misfeed problems with a Hi-Standard 22 Dura-matic M101. Has never work worked correctly. Replace the old magazine(clip), the new one was no better than the old one. This was ten years ago, would like to get it working. Can anyone tell me were I can get a replacement magazine (clip) that works?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You can help us help you if you describe what the exact problem is. How is it misfeeding, where does the round end up? We need all the information you can supply please! Is this a Hamden, Hartford or Houston gun?
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have a Hamden and the only time it ever misfed was with S&B ammo.
    S&B has a heavy wax coated bullet and won't feed in any of my auto's.

Was your replacement mag factory or after market?
    Have you tried various ammo?
    Checked the feed ramp?
    Is the spent case ejected?
    Have you tried your mag in another HS?
    It fits all of them except the letter series

I don't think Houston ever made the Dura-Matic or Plinker (Same gun)
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  4. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

If the gun is really clean, then adjusting your magazine is probably the easiest way to solve your problem. Jim Barta explains how to do this on hiw website at: http://users.adelphia.net/~jbarta/otherstuff.html

This assumes that you have an Connecticut High Standard magazine and that it iis not oone of the cadmium plated versions. The cadmium plated versions were found in the earlier Dura-Matics and they ofter rust between the front and rear Magazine shells which eventually causes the shells to deform and affect feeding and function.

Aftermarket magazines are usually of dubious quality and although they can be adjusted to function properly, they do not hold their adjustment because the thickness of the metal is less and the heat treatment is different from the factory.

Original magazines can be found on the gun auction sites and on eBay. Originals will be marked " HI-STANDARD " on the base.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

SGVictor:
    You presume this poster has the knowledge of the firearm to establish the cause of the ftf's; I will presume not, for the sake of discussion.
    Plano asked, to summarise, 'how is it F'ing up', to which, I have seen no reply.
    My gut feeling, as yours, is mags, but, given an apparent novice shooter, with an unfamiliar pistol,we assume a lot!
    Incedentally, I have about the same tool as in the website, built in 1969-1970, for personal 'tuning'; I made mine of .250 dia 304 Stainless round stock, simply because it was cheap, and available, at the time, where I worked. A good tool, just the same, and an informative website; Thanks!
  6. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Stash, You are absolutely correct. I am speculating about that the problem really is. This poster has put the same question on the brandx forum and has not responded to the sake kind of question as to how it is misfeeding.

Absent proper feed back as to in what manner the gun iis misfeeding, one can only guess as to what the problem and solution is.

The two most common problems with feeding are dirt and mis-adjusted magazine lips. Two other common problems are teh rust deformed cadmiumplated factory magazines and the aftermarket magazines. Even the factory magazines from Houston High Standard have been problematical with the exception of the new "A" marked Houston Magazines.
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Limp wristing

LTS
  8. svennykenny

svennykenny New Member

Re: Hi-Standard Dura-matic,M101

Hi all! I jut got a Hi-Standard Dura-Matic M 101 6 1/2" serial 1151107 and I was wondering where a I could get a manual for this .22. This was my dad's .22 I got it from his estate when he passed away. It has been in its box for about 30 yrs still shoots though, Would appreciate any help, Thnx all My email address is p51wingman@yahoo.com
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  9. steelieshane

steelieshane New Member

I just bought a used Dura-Matic that has a feeding problem. If I put 5 rounds in the magazine it works fine. If I put 10 rounds in the magazine it has problems. The bullets stub into the top of the chamber with the rim still stuck down in the magazine lips. How do you adjust the magazine?
  10. moranstan

moranstan New Member

I also have a Hi Standard Dura Matic model 101 made in Hamden Conn.
    It also has a feeding problem.
    I followed Jim Barta’s instructions and used a bore brush chucked up in a drill and cleaned the bore.
    It still jams.
    The 2nd bullet always hangs at an awkward angle, it is like the bullet is not going high enough to go in the chamber straight, it even cuts the lead a little.
    Surely there is a fix for it, I love my old Dura Matic and have had it for many years, I would love to fix it and give it to my daughter.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

As I posted elsewhere, a common problem with those guns is failure to balance the springs. Since the blowback has to overcome both the recoil spring and (directly) the firing pin spring, it proved tricky getting the firing pin spring strong enough to fire the round yet weak enough to allow full slide movement.

One common problem is for the slide to not come back fully, so it traps the top round in the magazine instead of feeding it. Sometimes, a stronger magazine spring will help, but the solution is usually to replace both the recoil and firing pin springs, if possible.

Jim
  12. moranstan

moranstan New Member

I I fixed my Dura Matic!!!!!!!!!!!
    I went to Fort Worth and stopped by Cheaper Than Dirt and bought a new magazine.
    They are $21.97 and worth it.
    Now I can empty a clip with no jams.
    I just shot 150 rounds and no jams.
    I noticed the factory clip spring gets weak over time and will not lift the round high enough to go in the chamber.
    I hope this post helps someone with a Dura Matic that will not feed.
    It made my Dura Matic a 10 shot, not a single shot.
    Here is a link to the Dura Matic replacement magazines at Cheaper Than Dirt

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SearchResults.aspx?catid=2714&site=Magazines&num=15&q=mag 163