Hi Standard Sentinel R-101 Misfires

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by trapnbow, Feb 29, 2012.

1. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Gentlemen,
    I am trying to repair a nice revolver inherited by my wife. It is a chrome Sentinel R-101 revolver that works well except for light firing pin hits. These light hits result in misfires.

John Stimson, great guy from the Hi Standard Forum, suggests that either the firing pin or the hammer spring are at fault. Firing pin looks new, not the problem. He also suggests that sometimes the spring is cut down to relieve the heavy trigger pull. I think that he is correct because when I inserted "C" clips, below the spring on the guide rod to compress it, the hammer force got better, i.e. larger dent on case rim.

What I need is the assembly/dis-assembly instructions for the revolver so that I can confidently and safely replace the spring. Does anyone have a copy of the assembly/dis-assembly instructions for this revolver?
    Thanks,
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

For a simple pistol, that is one of the tough ones to dis/re-assemble. Nothing is really hard, but everything has to be done in exactly the right order and with care.

I Googled "High Standard Sentinel disassembly" and got a lot of hits. But I will tell you briefly what you have to do.

1. Swing out the cylinder by pulling out on the ejector rod.
    2. With a small punch, push in on the link pivot pin that holds the crane, and hold it while removing the crane. Remove the link pivot pin and the spring behind it (which is also the cylinder stop spring).
    3. Remove the grip screw (on the bottom of the grips) and remove the grips. Tap out the hammer pivot pin left to right.
    4. Ease the trigger guard and grip unit down and out of the frame. You might have to move the hammer a bit.
    5. Now you see that the hammer is held by a bushing called the hammer sleeve. Hold the hammer to keep it from flying and push out that sleeve. The hammer will come out, along with the hammer spring and guide. MAKE SURE you observe how the guide goes in; it has to go back the same way.
    6. Remove the old spring, and put in the new one. You can usually get the hammer back in by letting it go forward, but you might have to grip it in a vise and bring the trigger guard up over it.
    7. Reinstall the hammer sleeve.
    8. Reinstall the trigger guard (make sure you put the cylinder stop back in).
    9. Replace the grips.
    10. Replace the cylinder stop pin and link pivot pin.
    11. With that thin punch, push in the link pivot pin and put the crane back in.

Jim
  3. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Jim K,

Thank you for your very prompt and informative reply. It certainly sounds easy enough. I am a little confused about if and when the cylinder stop assembly comes out or if it has to come out of the frame but that might become clear during the dis-assembly. With your direction, and a little luck, I think that I could now replace the spring. Now I have to find and purchase a spring. I have come across web sites that advertise some parts and will have to revisit them to get the spring. Brownell's usually has everything. LOL Please pass on any ideas that you have for obtaining a new spring.

Thank you again for sharing your expertise. I will write again as I proceed with the repair. :)
  4. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Jim K,
    Thanks again for the dis-assembly information. I was successful with your direction. I also ordered a new hammer spring from Numrich Arms but the one sent was too short. Had a second sent and it was also short. Do you have any ideas where else to purchse a hammer spring?
    BTW, the revolver is working much more reliably because I super cleaned and oiled it while I had it apart. Amazing what a little oil will do. LOL
    Thanks,
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

If you are using Remington promotional ammo (Thunderbolt or Value-Pack) try changing brands.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have no idea why the springs you obtained won't work. Numrich bought up a bunch of the old H-S parts so they should have originals. Most of the other places just back order to the manufacturer so they don't have old parts, just current ones.

The ammo could be a problem; you might try other brands.

Jim
  7. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Numrich will take parts back, unless they have recently changed policy. On more than one occasion, I have received parts that had been modified (ruined) an returned tro them , and then shipped to me. Most Numrich persons are stock clerks; not gunsmiths.
  8. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Hammerslagger,
    Thanks for your reply. You are so correct that some ammunition is just prone to misfires. Actually, Winchester Super X causes the most misfires in this revolver. I think that the Winchester ammo has thicker base brass at the rim. The firing pin indentation of the fired case is just not as deep as it is on other manufactureres. I have had good luck with Remington Target and all Federal products including the bulk packaged.
    Thanks,
  9. trapnbow

trapnbow Member

Jim K and Hammerslagger,
    After receiving the first short hammer spring, I called Numrich and spoke to a tech rep. I told them that the hammer spring had to be at least 2.5 inches long as the one in the revolver. The second spring that I received was only 2.25" long and it did not seem to be modified as each end had the spring loops properly rolled closed.
    Thanks,