High cap. 45acp??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by detroit25, Jul 5, 2008.

?

Which 45 should I buy?

1. Glock 21

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Springfield XD 45

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. FNP 45

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. S&W MP 45

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

I have decided I want a high capacity 45 but there are so many choices. I think I have narrowed it down to either a Glock 21 of a FNP 45. I have also considered the Springfield XD and the S&W M&P. I want to stick with 45 acp for sure.

The one thing I like about the Glock is the interchangable mags if I decided to buy a compact in the future. I will use this as a carry weapon on occassion but will mainly use my kimber ultra caray.

I appreciate all input but, I would like to hear about any problems/complaint anyone has about their weapons.

Thanks, for all the help!
    Matt
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. I have to say Glock because I like them, Detroit, but I have also heard very good things about the Springfield.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

The real deal is Steel,
    It's the look, the strength and the feel,
    Plastic will work,
    For a pro or a jerk,
    But a 1911s the real deal,

OK it's not perfect but what do you want for 30 secs?

Beware dangerous tupperware.
  4. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Hey Detroit, my vote goes to the Springfield XD, I have one in 9mm and it is a great gun, at a good price. Glocks are okay, but I will always take an XD over a Glock.
  5. Tranter, might I suggest a nice flintlock pistol? They were made of steel, many with nice gold inlays even. Daniel Boone and Alfred Lord Nelson thought quite well of them I understand. :D;)
  6. Topbreak01

Topbreak01 New Member

Go with the Springfield XD i have one in .40 S&W and it's a well made gun.
  7. artabr

artabr New Member

A 1911 with an extended mag. :)

I will say that a person buying any of the guns on your list will be happy with their purchase. How's that for a copout. :)

Art
  8. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I have a 20 round mag in my H&K USP 45.
    It sticks out the bottom........a bit. ;)
  9. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

Another vote for the Springfield XD. I have the .45 ACP Tactical model and have been extremely pleased with my purchase. Great ergos, clearly visible sights, reliable with zero failures to feed, fire or eject.
  10. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

Thanks for all the opinions so far! Just to clear things up, I have three 1911s already and variety is the spice of life. :D Anybody heard anything about the FNP?
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Springfield does have a high-cap 1911, with a wider grip.
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

A flintlock will shoot someone as dead today as 250 years ago Pistol.

I need to check my history, but I think it was a viable current weapon for over 200 years duration, no mean feat.
  13. Virginia58

Virginia58 New Member

Weighing in on the side of the Springfield XD 45. I have the .45 ACP 4". It's comfortable to grip, plenty accurate and very reliable. Approximately 600 rounds through mine in the first 2 months and no failures.
  14. Quite true, Tranter, though the rate of fire was a tad slower than my Glocks I daresay, and cleaning them was a bit more of a chore. :D That does bring up an interesting question though. Do British gun laws extend to black powder, single-shot weapons as well as those using metallic cartridges, Tranter? Just curious.
  15. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Understanding our gun laws Pistol are easy, simply imagine the most stupid, pointless, ludicrous situation possible, and its a bit worse.

A modern repro Black Powder muzzle loading pistol is the same legally as a live bolt action rifle (What we call 'section 1'). It requires the same licence and conditions. :eek:

Now an original antique requires no licence, unless you want to shoot it then you need to put it onto your licence. That is to say you notify the police and they will list it on your 'ticket', than you can shoot it. Problem there is you may never get it off ticket. :mad:

Common sense, as with so many things these days has gone completely out of the window.
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i say glock... and i aint no glockie, no pun intended pistol, but out of the choices given, and personal experiences with these listed choices, the glock is generally more reliable, better suited to adverse conditions, simpler, lighter, easier to maintain, and more safe, in terms of a duty weapon and the purposes in which they are intended... now as for personal preference, i like the XD. they are light 'enough', reliable, very accurate (try the new match grade version), and ergonomically designed to fit the human hand... but if you are just looking to get a nice high capacity .45 ACP, get a thompson with a drum magazine, then u can clear the entire alley without reloading:D
  17. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Guns & Ammo magazine did a review in January of this year (I think January--but maybe it was the Februay issue). They seemed to have pretty positive comments, though that's about standard.
  18. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

I have read that review and thats the reason I am considering the FNP, but as you said they never say anything bad about a gun they test. I was hoping someone here has had a real life experience with it.

Thanks again to all!
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i have, i work part time at a local gunshop fixing guns, i get to play with most of the new guns that come in, the FNP is really nothing the industry hasnt already seen, except that its wrapped in a different mfg. logo and sold at at different price, they do serve thier purpose reliably and efficiently, as do all the choices listed...;)
  20. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

JLA, but that logo was made in the USA. :D