High End .300 win mag (which one)

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by jarboarder1, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jarboarder1

jarboarder1 New Member

Hey everyone.
    I am looking to pick up a .300 win mag in the near future. I have been shooting a browning A-bolt 25-06 for a long time and love it. Im shooting it accurately at 300yds. Now Im moving to canada for work and want to pick up a larger caliber for hunting and to step up my long range capability. Im pretty set on the 300 min mag because I know im going to be drawn to hunting moose and bear while i live up north and I have been wanting to start shooting into the 1000 yrd range.

My problem is I cant decide on a platform. I really want to make an investment. Im looking for something reliable that will last me forever. I love the Acuracy International and the new Les Baer, but are those a little overkill? I will save the money if needed, but there are other guns in my wishlist (LWRC).

If anyone has any information I would appreciate it
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome to the Forum

hmmm

its a dollar thing

set yourself a price and shop for that , else you'll end up like me , with lots of very expensive high end rifles and scopes , its baaaaad.. ;)

AI is a very good choice , i own 2 and have another 2 and used them in the military

one of my better pics is of a AI

but both the winchester 70 series and Remington 700 series have been tried and tested and shown to be very good platforms in .300 Win Mag, they both have great aftermarket options for customising to make it 100% yours and parts are cheap

i love my Mcmillan (x1) Weatherby's (x2) and Parker Hale's(x3), but new triggers are a weeks income for me and i'm wholesale ..

but i've set up both the win and rem for under a grand that you'll find hard to fault against something like a Mc or AI

so set yourself a price and i'm sure you'll find something that'll do what you want in a few price ranges , some you do yourself or out of the box, your call

cheers
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If you like your .25-06 A-Bolt, then how about the same platform except in .300Mag?
    You're already familiar with how the stock design fits you and there's nothing new to learn in the muscle memory department as far as the controls are concerned.

Granted, there's nothing wrong with wanting to step up to a custom or factory-custom rifle either. If you find one that fits your body and shoots to your liking, that's the important part.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i would think about the savage line.they have the accutrigger and have one of the best barrels in the business. old semperfi
  5. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

Ditto on that!! If you are looking for a rifle in the higher end but outa the box stay away from a Tikka T3 Hunter. I fell in love with one at the gun shop and bought one. Once home and out zeroing and next hunting I soon realized (although I still like my tikka.....shoots really really well.......kicks like a mule , BUT it's a shooter) that the fit and finish are not quite there as far as $$s are concerned. Just know there are better quality rifles out there at a better price. Just my two cents.
  6. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

Remington 700. Keep the change for upgrades and accessories.
  7. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Tika offers 300 Win Mag in walnut or synthetic stock at a really decent Price. Check them out.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I will also second the savage. By far the best entry level price range but the weapon will compete with the best of them...
  9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

10. Hatch

Hatch Former Guest

SRS Recon Scout. It allows you to buy modular upgrades with barrels and mags that expand your platform from only 300 Win Mag to .338 Lapua Mag, .243, .308 etc

It's a different way of looking at rifles... They are ALL tools in a toolbox... are YOU in the position where having 1 frame and several calibers is an advantage? If so, that rifle system is worth a look.
  11. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Since you want a longe range gun i would go with savages new Long Range Hunter. Its a great shooter and a very nice rifle. i suggest you check it out.
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

So many good responses for the OP but there seems to have been lost interest by the OP regarding his request. :eek: