High Finn M39 Front Sight Blades

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by JLA, Sep 24, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Anyone know where i can get one. Theres a guy gouging them on ebay for 50 bucks for a 9.1mm, which is the tallest, and what i want. The one that came off my M39 is rought 8.3mm (.331") tall and it shoots way too high. I put on a set of mojo snapsights (dual apertures) but I really want the notch and blade back..

I dont mind just buying the 50 dollar one if thats all there is, but 50 bucks seems a tad high for a chunk of milsurp..
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

$50 ?:eek:
    Let me see what's in the Mosin box, I've got 3 or 4 and I think one is a 8.6 or 8.7, you pay postage and we'll swap?
    If I don't, you can fix yours with some JB weld. Mask the top with a rough shape of a higher sight, and fill it with JB. Give it plenty of time to set up, then file and sand to shape. Take a file to the range and trim the top till it hits where you want it, then hit with some flat black rustoleum. I know, sounds hillbilly, but it works and no one will know the diff from the real deal. Cheaper than $50 too!:)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Hell yeah Trap. Thanks. I hit the range today and set up a target at 150 yds. POI is 4-6" high from POA, so I did a little table math and came up with a 8.8mm sight to bring POI to POA at that range. The one I have on it now is .331" tall (~8.3 mm) and holding POA downrange and knowing where the group is is about a half mil difference. So im thinkin an 8.8 or an 8.9 should do it and if its a tad tall I can file it the rest of the way. Id rather not have the JB on it because im rough with my rifles, especially this one, it goes in the field with me, and im afraid ill bang it around and knock it off somehow. I know its not likely but I suppose its just me being a little over cautious. Just rather have the steel up there..
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Jeeze, I should charge ya $50 just for all that digging I had to do!:D
    I know I have at least two more somewhere, but the three I found are 7mm, 7.7mm, and a 8.5mm that was welded on, filed down and stamped 8.2mm, and bent to the left. Don't ask, I have no idea.:confused:
    Also found a complete and like new rear sight, and a stripped bolt body I forgot I had.:eek:
    9mm seems to be the one everyone wants, so I'm going to take these three over to my welder buddy and have him run a bead on top and dress em all down to 9's or 9.5's. Give me a week or two, I have to catch him between jobs, and I'll get one out to you. PM me a mailing addy!
    On my parts gun M39 PU sniper, the rear iron sight was buggered, so I filed out a U notch to clean up the V, and brazed a piece of brass brazing rod on top of the front sight. Lowering the V into the U, and adding the brass bead on top, put it dead on at 50yrds.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sweet. I'll mail you mine and include a little extra for your troubles. A 9 mil should be perfect.

Thanks Trap. Im in your debt.

PM headn your way
  6. skeet1

skeet1 New Member

JLA

Pat Burns also has Model 39 front sights for a reasonable price. He doesn't list them but give him a call and He can provide what you need. His web page is http://www.gunsnammo.com/

Ken