High Standard 1911's?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by TTUshooter, Jun 18, 2006.

1. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

I recently have seen a new High Standard 1911 for about $390 i'm interested in buying it, but I have not heard much of anything about that gun. I currently own a High Standard Model HD Military .22 pistol which was bought new by my grandfather in 1948 and it still shoots like a dream. So that gives me good impressions about High Standard, but honestly I've just never heard much about them in general. Any thoughts from the forum members?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The Hi-Standard 1911 is made in the Phillipines by Armsco ( I read that somewhere) . You can do better for the $$.For about $100 more, you can purchase a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Mil-Spec . Almost any 1911 can be made into a reliable weapon with a little work. But, you get what you pay for.

Personally, I think the newer Charles Daly or Auto-Ordnance 1911's are better than the Hi-Standard and cost about the same.

If you decide to purchase the HI-Standard 1911, throw the mags away. They are junk.

BTW, welcome to TFF.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome TTU My advice is you get what you pay for I'm with Shooter Springfield, Kimber are better brands.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

TTUshooter:

If indeed the Texas Hi Std 1911 is the Armscor 1911, it is not that bad. My son-in-law bought one from Rock Island and it is tightly made and seems to shoot fine. If you use the Rock Island magazines with the Nolan name on them, they are fine. Several range buddies have the Rock Island version with excellent results but it will not feed hollow points but neither will an orignial military 1911.

The "same" money is not a $100 more. I have seen the Springfields and they are no better than the Rock Island, at least from a detailed inspection. What is not apparent is the quality of the materials (steels) used and only a lot of time will prove if the Armscor guns are OK. So far they are.

As for buying the guns from the Texas High Standard company: think again. This guy is a "used car salesman". He bought the High Standard name and started producing clones of the original Hi Std 22LR match guns. My Trophy purchase 8 years ago has zero reliability for feeding and shooting and after trying everything I know I have relegated it to "wall hanger" status. It now resides in a glass box and is a piece of "art" since it doesn't shoot. My experiences with this company was terrible as it took 7 months to get the gun. They lied to me constantly about the status of the gun. Many here have had trouble with this guy and if you search the Internet you will find many places where he upset many people with his business practices and with the quality of his guns. I personally would not buy anything from him again. But remember the Hi Std 1911 is said to be an Armscor which is available through Rock Island (and can be sold in California if you live there as I do).

The Texas High Standard Company is in no way connected to the original east coast High Standard Company. Only the purchased name is the same. The same is true of Springfield Arms. They are not the famous arsenal and only use the same name.

LDBennett
  5. lead

lead Active Member

I saw one of the new High Standard 1911's in a shop yesterday. It is marked "made in the Phillipines", and is identical to the std. Rock Island. It was priced at $389.