High Standard .22 Sentinel Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FordMan59, Aug 29, 2012.

1. FordMan59

FordMan59 New Member

Just wondering if someone could give me an idea what a 1965 model High Standard .22 Sentinel Deluxe would be worth. If I recall correctly the barrel length is either 4 1/2 or 4 3/4" long. From my research 1965 was the first year for the Centinel Deluxe which tells me it was one of the first ones made. In the following link the pistol labeled R-106 is exactly like the one I have. http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html I'm not interested in selling the gun. It was bought new in 1965 by my grandfather who passed away in 1971 and my grandmother gave it to me prior to her death in 1997 so no amount of money could buy it from me unless it was a last alternative for putting food on the table for my family. The pistol is in very good/excellent condition and has probably not had more than a brick of .22 shot through it since new and has always been cleaned/oiled before putting it away after shooting. I took it out a few weeks ago and shot a couple cylinders through it which was the first time it had been shot in probably 5 years. I still have the original box and receipt where my grandfather bought it new in 1965 for $49.95.

I was also wanting to know whether there was a .22 magnum cylinder available for it. If so does anyone have any idea where I might be able to pick one up and what would be a fair price for it? Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

They go for around $200, as shooters. There is little collector interest except for High Standard collectors, and they like guns new and in the box.

Some Sentinel models were made in .22 Magnum or a .22 LR/.2 Magnum combination, but the 106 was made only in .22 LR. Most experts (and IIRC the company) recommend against firing .22 Magnum in a .22 LR barrel; the .22 Magnum bullet is larger than the .22 LR, plus most .22 LR barrels are not made from hardened steel and will wash out rapidly if fired with the higher pressures and jacketed bullets of the .22 Magnum.

Jim
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The R-106 Sentinel is an aluminum frame revolver and is not suitable for the stresses of a .22 magnum. All Sentinels in .22 magnum were made with steel frames. All steel frame Sentinels used the same rifling dimensions independent of whether they were .22 LR or .22 Mag. At the beginning there were no combination revolvers. The aluminum frame revolvers used slightly smaller rifling dimensions. The Sentinel MK I and MK IV barrels were made from an AISI 1137 extrusion and were not heat treated. Any hardness was due to work hardening.

Over the past ten years, there has been growing interest in nice condition High Standard revolvers and the values have been slowly rising. Collector grade Sentinels value would depend on the relative rarity and condition. A R-106 with the short 4.00" barrel and a blued finish would have a production rarity of PR-16, with nickel finish the production rarity would be PR-13 .
  4. FordMan59

FordMan59 New Member

Thanks to all who have responded. As I said I'm not interested in selling the gun, these were just questions to help resolve my curiosity. If anyone else has more information I certainly welcome it.
  5. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member